Anyone know what Herman Miller chair this is?

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a decent chair for work from home without destroying my bank account. I came across this herman miller chair on craigslist for only $700. Anyone know anything about it? I like the looks but not sure about the ergonomics.

chair.jpg

The eames has a different seat cushion style from the pictures.

Not sure where you live. But in LA area, you can get an Aeron for $400 easily all day. You can get them even cheaper than that sometimes too.

EDIT: I noticed the like. But to follow up, the Aeron is a very common office fleet chair. So when a business goes down, they get liquidated. There are entire businesses that just sell liquidated office furniture.
It's relatively easy to get any size you want AND test the exact chair and it's also likely there will be probably 50 other examples you could test at the same time.
If you want to buy it for less, that's possible too, but usually that won't be from a liquidator. Just a one off seller. It might be worth it to pay more though just to have a wide range of used copies to buy from. And more or less "guarantee" you're getting a good one.

Last edited:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont get that chair. We bought it this year and its incredibly uncomfortable and hardly adjustable.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I had a similar one awhile back (cheap, chinese) and while it looked great it wasn't comfortable. I was hoping this one might be better.

My vote is for a Steelcase Leap. I have a Steelcase Gesture which is epic (probably the most adjustable chair out there and built like a brick shithouse) but expensive and my wife has a Steelcase Leap v2 (also expensive) the standard leap however is in the 400-500ish price range shipped if you go with a refurb and is very comfy. We bought ours through Crandall (https://www.crandalloffice.com/) because they come with a 12 year warranty. You can try them out for 2 weeks to a month (depending on if its a used or refurbed model) I had a used Gesture first but exchanged it for one with bleach cleanable fabric because I do a lot of work in my shop and didn't want to worry about keeping it clean no hassle they just processed the request and sent me the RA paperwork. My wife had a gesture but she has short legs and it was uncomfy for her so she exchanged it for a Leap v2 that one got damaged by the Gorillas at fedex so she exchanged it for the one she has now. Zero problems with the support on any of it.

Another vote for the Steelcase Leap v2. I love mine. Most comfortable chair I've sat in. I have owned a Aeron and I did not find it that comfy. Size C cut into my leg at a weird angle and had some circulation issues. Ended up returning it and buying the Steelcase. No issues now.

I love my Steelcase Leap v2. I can sit in it all day for work and be comfortable. We had the Aeron at the office before being sent to work from home, and I liked that too, but I like the Leap better.

Agree, that chair is not mean to sit in all day, it is a board room style chair. Do not go based on looks. You want solid build quality. Even if you bought a Herman Miller new, it has a 10 year warranty...the amount of money people spend on crap chairs (like Secret labs and other "racing style chairs) in that period is often far more, not to mention most of those racing seat chairs are the worst kind for your posture. Racing chairs are not meant for comfort, they are meant to keep you safe and stiff in a car. Why they took off as "gaming" chairs everyone had to have, made no sense.

Agree, that chair is not mean to sit in all day, it is a board room style chair. Do not go based on looks. You want solid build quality. Even if you bought a Herman Miller new, it has a 10 year warranty...the amount of money people spend on crap chairs (like Secret labs and other "racing style chairs) in that period is often far more, not to mention most of those racing seat chairs are the worst kind for your posture. Racing chairs are not meant for comfort, they are meant to keep you safe and stiff in a car. Why they took off as "gaming" chairs everyone had to have, made no sense.

It's because there were never any chairs marketed toward gaming before.
It's obvious that you should use an office chair, things that have been designed for the exact same thing you do while PC gaming.

But they were never marketed towards gamers. And there are alot of dumb people, especially young people that just don't have the life experience to even really know about office chiars.

So DX Racer or whatever the first brand was that actually marketed their chairs towards gamers raked in shitloads of cash by selling garbage chairs with massive margins. And a bunch of other companies saw this and used the exact same factories in China to do the same thing.

People are starting to realize the chairs are garbage now though and better chairs marketed towards gamers are being produced, there is even a Logitech Herman Miller chair.

100% right, sadly the "gamer" market seems to have more money than sense these days, their fav. twitch streamer has that so it must be good! brain dead train of thought.

Back