Anyone know of any free WiFi hotspots in Rockford, IL?

N

NecessaryEvil

I'm going up to visit my girlfriend for the weekend...she wants me to teach her to play CS and UT2004 so she can play in the LAN parties with me.

anyone know where we can go mooch off some broadband for a few hours?

Greetings from a fellow Illinoisian (I'm in Champaign-Urbana)

Have you tried something like this: http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/ ?

Other options include getting out your laptop, wifi card, firing up Netstumbler and wardriving a bit. Might take some time, but could provide you with some near by residences or business that are running unsecured WAPs.

Good luck.

BTW - your GF sounds cool "wants to learn CS and UT2K4?!" :cool:

Sarekai

Ahhh, more Illinois people...

The last time I was in Rockford (like a year or so ago) there wasn't jack for wireless hotspots around the area.

If you guys traipse down to the Chicago area there are more than enough to be had! Are there any universities in Rockford? I know that DePaul offers a few open Wifi spots to the community and I can imagine that some other universities would as well.

Well that.. and the overabundance of default APs makes for quite a bit of free access.

I'm not looking at using unsecured AP's.

I want to use it legitimately.

There are college in Rockford; Rock Valley being one she's attended. However, I'm not sure if she's going there this summer or to the CC in Freeport.

As it stands, either one of those is the most likely option. I was just hoping to find something other than a library.

Back