Anyone know of a program that allows you to adjust FSB from your desktop?

Someone on a Macintosh overclocking forum (yes, they exist) told me something to the extent of:

"Silly Windoze-PC overclockers. *does whimpy WinNT nerd impression* um, is there, is there, is there a control panel or something that does my work for me?"

A SOFTWARE UTILITY FOR OC'ING?? for GPUs tis ok, but for CPUs tis truly un[H]ard if y'asks me. Get in the BIOS and do ya stuff, or, for true [H] 31337n355 go fuck with jumpers. Better yet, solder shit.

My apologies for this post; no disrespect is meant to the n00bs as they too must start somewhere and I respect that. I think that using software to overclock is a little lame...

Speedfan will adjust the clock on some boards; it's even an "intelligent" utility that runs in your taskbar that will adjust the clock (as well as your fan speeds) based upon temperatures, CPU usage, voltages, etc.

Pretty neat, but not compatible with any of the boards in any of my computers so I don't use it too often.

Well, if you were smart enough to purchase an msi board, then maybe you would have gotten core cell technology WHICH lets you modify your fsb FROM your desktop, but, if you ask me, i like the good ol fashioned bios shit... but do with it what you will.

i oc mine from desktop, but it wont stay for reboot, so i use it for "testing waters" to see how far i can push it stable, then change all meh stuff in the bios =)

Originally posted by hogwild
Well, if you were smart enough to purchase an msi board, then maybe you would have gotten core cell technology WHICH lets you modify your fsb FROM your desktop, but, if you ask me, i like the good ol fashioned bios shit... but do with it what you will.

Being smart and purchasing an MSI board are not always the same thing... Sometimes they do well in reviews, but my personal experience with them has been ... Well, I'm not impressed.

I say OC from the BIOS. A good sign of a (potentially) stable overclock is getting into Windows, heh... Just read the manual, and use the BIOS guide at www.rojakpot.com to make sure you don't flub anything.

And worst comes to worst - We've all done this one - There is that 'clear CMOS' jumper that works to fix a botched OC that won't POST.

i use my bios to oc but i dont know very much about it and temperatures and voltages and stuff.... so im just staying safe with my 2500 until it starts to become outdated and slow, then i will overclock it like crazy!

-warsaw

Originally posted by warsawtag
i use my bios to oc but i dont know very much about it and temperatures and voltages and stuff.... so im just staying safe with my 2500 until it starts to become outdated and slow, then i will overclock it like crazy!

-warsaw

it's gonna take a long time for that to become slow

This kind of overclocking is for people without the ablitity of having a bios that can be changed. Like a compaq or hp. I had a an old hp that I oc'ed using a windows fsb changer. I didnt get a huge oc. It took a while to find out the mobo info so I could use the windows fsb changer. But it made it feel faster...I guess. But after I did that I bought a Asus mobo and p4 1.5 that I oced to 1.875.

The advantage to using a Windows program to overclock is that you can test stability immediately after making the change. With that said, I'd still make all my setting in the BIOS because I don't believe the overclocking programs are reliable enough at this point. As a matter of fact, it's almost always a good idea to skip any program created by a MoBo manufacturer from my experience.

Man, this thread was bumped from oblivion...

miazmaticdotcom said:
A SOFTWARE UTILITY FOR OC'ING?? for GPUs tis ok, but for CPUs tis truly un[H]ard if y'asks me. Get in the BIOS and do ya stuff, or, for true [H] 31337n355 go fuck with jumpers. Better yet, solder shit.

My apologies for this post; no disrespect is meant to the n00bs as they too must start somewhere and I respect that. I think that using software to overclock is a little lame...

What it comes down to, is I can either be a "noob" and take two mouse clicks to change my FSB through windows and not even have to reboot, or... I can be leet, and shut it down, unhook everything, take the side panel off, find the jumpers, change them (or "solder shit"), put the side panel back on, screw it back on, hook it back up, wait for it to boot up, and if it isn't stable at this speed, go back to step 1.

Now, which guy's the smart one here? The noob, or the uber [H] 31337 d00d?

i love me some MSI core cell technology. upgrading that bios through windows and various other updating using the MSI software is so nice.

Back