Anyone know how to design logos?

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
I'm pretty new at this. I have a clear idea/design in my head, but I just don't know how to put it on the computer. Do you guys use certain programs or software like logo makers or shape/text designers? I really want to make this logo for one of my dad's business. I can draw it out fine and know where I want the colors/lines/shapes/sizes to go, but I am just totally utterly confused as to how to put it on the computer. How do you guys do it? Any hints/tips/suggestions? Thanks.

Photoshop does the trick. But if you are new to using it, it may take a little time to get used to all the tools in the program. There are also plenty of sites out there that give tutorials for photoshop.

You might want to consider a vector drawing program for designing shapes; Take a look at this list.

this

untypofied ;)

Bah. He beat me to it.

Some popular image creation software is The GIMP, photoshop, illustrator, paintshop pro, etc.

If you dont have photoshop, download gimp (and READ the instructions on the download page). It works quite well for things like this.

http://abcdefg.dajoob.com/logo.jpg

That is something I did really late at night fairly quickly. Just had to open up a few layers, hand traced some letters from one layer onto another, flattened the image... done.

If your designing with print in mind or even as a possiblity, you want to use a vector based software. Otherwise a bitmap based one will work for web logos etc.

Keep it vector based for sure if you do ever plan on enlarging the logo or using it in printed matter. Illustrator or Corel Draw would be your best choices in vector drawing but they do take some getting used to as vector drawing is nothing like photoshop (bitmap) editing.

MixManSC said:
Keep it vector based for sure if you do ever plan on enlarging the logo or using it in printed matter. Illustrator or Corel Draw would be your best choices in vector drawing but they do take some getting used to as vector drawing is nothing like photoshop (bitmap) editing.

Another vote for vector based software here. If you plan on doing anything with this logo, you'll need it in a vector format. Everything from print, to vinyl vehicle graphics require a vector format. If you create it in photoshop, and then send it to a sign shop to produce some graphics for whatever reason, they'll charge you to redesign it. Might as well do it right the first time.

personally I draw the logo out then scan it in (the primary color level)
then convert it with adobe stramline to a vector (eps) and import it to illustrator

Ice Czar said:
then convert it with adobe stramline to a vector (eps) and import it to illustrator
Yeah I was going to suggest that as well. Then you have a basic image to work with from the start.

Ice Czar said:
Anyone ever tell you that you remind them of Martha Stewart? :eek: :p

Back