Anyone know how Quickbooks works?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
We use QB Pro 2008 at work, and I need to format the computer, does anyone know how to or where the information is saved. Supposedly the information is saved on our network drive, but I looked at the date of the backups and they are over 3 months old, so I don't think the office manager is keeping up with the "backups".

I have never used QB before, so I am at a loss as to how the backup/restore works with it, I am guessing that it is possible for me to create a backup from within the program and have it restore after the format, but will that keep our custom invoices as well? We have two companies so I would have to back each one up separately, any info would be great, Thanks!

Search for *.QBW files. All the files will be in the same folder, most likely. Also *.nd files hold the connection information for the QBW files if they are stored or worked on from a network location.

Search for *.QBW files. All the files will be in the same folder, most likely. Also *.nd files hold the connection information for the QBW files if they are stored or worked on from a network location.

Identify the location of the company file by opening QuickBooks and pressing the F2 key to display the QuickBooks Product Information window.
In the File Information section, make a note of the path to the company file. (Listed to the right of Location.)

Restore a backup: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/knowledgebasearticle/1002306

Great, thank you guys. I think I am going to do a backup of both companies through the software, then just copy over the entire QB directory (if needed for later). I think I might throw a copy of QB onto a VM and make sure that the backups worked correctly and then do the format. Actually, the VM option is sounding pretty good, because I can see exactly what all is copied over.

Thank you guys!

For backup, we've been using Cobian's shadow volume copy feature which lets us keep QuickBooks open and with users logged in and still be able to create workable backups. We're still with 2005 (no compelling reason to upgrade), so we're only backing up the QBB and QBW files for our company file. When we need to restore, we can actually just browse to the backups directory and load the company files from there. Very simple.

QuickBooks' multi-user mode is just...ridiculous.

Backing up the company books from within Quickbooks is more proper method, Quickbooks backups up related data in it's native manner (just like it's best to perform a native backup within any accounting software). On new PC, import the company data from the backup using the restore function of Quickbooks..

Backing up the company books from within Quickbooks is more proper method, Quickbooks backups up related data in it's native manner (just like it's best to perform a native backup within any accounting software). On new PC, import the company data from the backup using the restore function of Quickbooks..
this

Back