anyone know a good site for a ps2 emu?

XeRo_Dark

Gawd
just wondering if anyone has found a good ps2 emulator that u can use your ps2 disks with to play games on ur puter?

XeRo_Dark said:
just wondering if anyone has found a good ps2 emulator that u can use your ps2 disks with to play games on ur puter?

A legal one does not exist. :rolleyes:

While technically, emulators in themselves are not illegal. To use one with the discs would require you to break the DMCA. If you didn't want to break the DMCA yourself, then you would have to use ROM's....and ROM's are illegal.

Tiny said:
A legal one does not exist. :rolleyes:

While technically, emulators in themselves are not illegal. To use one with the discs would require you to break the DMCA. If you didn't want to break the DMCA yourself, then you would have to use ROM's....and ROM's are illegal.

Thats not *entirely* correct. IF im not mistaken the emu itself its not illegal nor is making a backup copy of a game you own (or using the cds directly) what is illegal is using the console's bios to be able to use the emulator because the bios is intellectual property of the console maker.

That said, some emus (not sure about ps2 emus) dont need the console BIOS images to work and are perfectly legal to play on.

retardedchicken said:
Legal or not, this isn't a good place to talk about that topic.

I dont understand, if its gaming related and its legal why is this not a good place?

I honestly understand if someone ask for something illegal, but this is not the case, unless he ask for a ROM or a bios file.

Well for a short anwser, thier isn't any good ps2 emulators, but thier are a few in thier very early builds, you can try them out at http://www.zophar.net/psx2.html , thats all I've found but they sould like they can only play a few demos and maby like 3 games.

well other then doing something illigal whats a good tv-tuner card thats out and relyable so u can hook ur ps2 up to ur compy?

XeRo_Dark said:
well other then doing something illigal whats a good tv-tuner card thats out and relyable so u can hook ur ps2 up to ur compy?
I heard that there's a delay between the console and the screen. Now, this is just something I've heard but if anyone has actually done this without delay, maybe they could post up they're specs and the TV card they used.

I've done it with a Dreamcast and a Leadtek TV2000XP Expert, in the rig listed in my sig. No delay whatsoever. I don't know about a PS2, however. It shouldn't have any delay as long as your capture card is good and you have a decent computer.

EvilAngel said:
Thats not *entirely* correct. IF im not mistaken the emu itself its not illegal nor is making a backup copy of a game you own (or using the cds directly) what is illegal is using the console's bios to be able to use the emulator because the bios is intellectual property of the console maker.

Not unless you made one almost exactly the same.Thats how people back then got passed the law with IBM with their bioses. Sooner or later it will probably be done. I hope. :)

To the thread starter: no full-speed or even half-speed PS2 emulators exist. Go buy the damn console.

Regarding the legality of emulation: writing, downloading, and operating an emulator is 100% legal. What is NOT legal is downloading and running a game in said emulator if you have not paid for it. Therefore, it's legal to download and run a ROM of Super Mario World if you have the SMW cart, but it's not legal if you don't have the cart.

Back