Anyone know a good QUIET cooler for my new 6800gt card?

ok more importantly. i just hit 118C when playing a game. ahh someone help

and those will for sure fit the card?

also, any reason why my core temp got up to 118?

Get either of the Zalman GPU coolers and maybe by off chance your reading the degrees in Fair In Height? (sp)

They will surely fit your card. Check the compatibility from Zalmans homepage.

One thing is for sure, your card should not hit those kinda temps. Its a small miracle if your card is even stable in games with those temps. One thing that could cause this is that your thermal grease between the core and heatsink has dryed or has been poorly applied in manufacturing process. Other thing could be your case cooling, how many fans do you have on your computer?

ps. Use Artic Silver 5 or something else when you install Zalmans coolers, the thermal grease Zalman provides with the heatsinks is not that good.

aight ill look at the vf900, and think about getting some artic silver 5.

as for case cooling. i have 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan. and a 120mm psu fan. i just bought a pci exhaust fan to put under the 6800gt so maybe thatll help some.

I have a vf-700 on my x800 xt. I know it's not exactly a 6800 gt, but I'm sure it gets just as hot, if not hotter than your GT. Temps don't go above 65 on the quiet setting.

Just a thought, as the 700 is cheaper than the 900, and I think you would be quite happy with the results.

My 6800GT hits 90C when playing games (65C idle). I'm about to indulge in a Accelero cooler just so it doesn't go poof one of these days.

aight i think im going to get the vf 700. is it really necessary for me to buy AS5?

other than this i odnt have a need for thermal paste in the future.

AS5 helps reduce the temps a good deal. Also the longer it sets the more it keeps temps down. It is amazing stuff. I had a 6800GT and got a NV5 Silencer for it. It worked really well. No matter what you get as a cooler it will only be effective as the thermal paste between your cooler and GPU, so go with the good stuff.

i ended up going with the vf900 and cancelling my 700 order. it was only like 5 bucks cheaper to get the 900. ill look into some artic cooler stuff

but until i get it is it ok to run the card at 80C constant?

and when i touched the heatsink it was really really hot. does this mean i have bad airflow?

mtbaird said:
i ended up going with the vf900 and cancelling my 700 order. it was only like 5 bucks cheaper to get the 900. ill look into some artic cooler stuff

The vf900 was cheaper than the vf700? That doesn't seem right.

Sorry. $5 more expensive. but i saw some benchmarks and the $5 was worth the increased cooling ill get

werd go with the zalman, silencer isnt worth looking at, it juss cant handle a 6800gt :eek:

mtbaird said:
Sorry. $5 more expensive. but i saw some benchmarks and the $5 was worth the increased cooling ill get

Agreed. You will not be disappointed with the vf900

aight i just cleaned out the current heatsink and there was a line of dust and gunk basically covering where the fan and the heatsink meet so no air could cool the heatsink off.

temps are not 65-70C at load. YAHOO. thanks guys

Back