Anyone into computer forensics?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Is anyone here into computer forensics? I just finished reading the book below. It was pretty interesting but boring at the same time. It really just seems like glorified file recovery and viewing along with all the laws you have to follow.

X7bMF.jpg

No, but I took a computer forensics course at my community college. The teacher was a real estate lawyer that said "i haven't done this before so we will be working through the labs together". The book was insightful but the teacher had no business teaching a course like this.

A couple of months ago I had to setup a branch office for a womens shelter client of mine...a victims advocate office located inside a town police station. She shared the office with the guy who did the computer forensics work for the department. He was a computer geek himself..he had a couple of home built computer towers on his desk which he made, one was quite potent, and it was what he used to plug the hard drives into of suspect computers (using external drive caddies).

At first I thought he had such a cool job, I envied it...thinking it would be a cool field to get into when I get tired of running my ass off doing SMB stuff. Until I saw results from a scan he was doing that ended up being a big case that made the local news, a child molester....and lots disgusting pics of little kids. That stuff has got to eat away at you over time.

Yup, I get to play with some really fun tools and stuff. There's a lot of data analysis involved.

No, but I took a computer forensics course at my community college. The teacher was a real estate lawyer that said "i haven't done this before so we will be working through the labs together". The book was insightful but the teacher had no business teaching a course like this.

I hate those types of courses, if I wanted to teach my self I would. Why am i paying you. On the second hand, you can get a lot more common knowledge along that route. As the instructor is more likely to explain the basics, as he learns them.

Yup, I get to play with some really fun tools and stuff. There's a lot of data analysis involved.

So let me ask you this ShadowStriker, is there a software tool that will allow you to view the contents of a HDD pulled from an HP printer?

I have downloaded several forensic apps (all free 'cause I haven't been provided a budget for this) from various sites and have yet to find one that will do the job.

My tutor did computer forensics at university, (in England btw). He took it up due to having an interest in the course and learning a bit about it, and ended up taking on the course and completing it, he said it was quite interesting, however during work placements, he was working along side the police and 99% of it was just data recovery from hard drives, usually in line with catching peadophiles, which my tutor personally, didnt want to do as a job because of the nature of it.

I presume there are other job scopes about though, working for companies to detect fraud etc.

Back