Anyone here using XSLT?

mryerse

2[H]4U
Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with using XSLT to make old websites available as web 2.0 services, or maybe some other xml to/from html use case. If so, how did it go... what environment did you use to host the XSLT, etc?

my understanding (which could be wrong) is that XSLT is for transforming straight, pure xml into other forms, such as XHTML, regular HTML, plain text, etc. i am not aware of being able to use it to convert old, crappy HTML into X(HT)ML but if i am wrong i'd be interested in seeing it.

as an example, i did some stuff with DocBook and XSLT to convert the raw xml into an html page as well as a windows chm file.

XSLT is more for manipulation and/or presentation of XML data. Generally speaking, web services return the XML to the requestor, and the requestor processes the data however needed.

OP: I think you need to re-evaluate your suggested approach. Or we're just not being given enough information about your situation...

I only use XSLT when no one can decide what they want in web apps/html email templates so I can avoid recompiling for presentation changes (.NET). I wouldn't use it for everything.

XSLT is jesus. We use it EXTENSIVELY here at work. We have all of the data for our application in XML and then we use a various transformations to display the data in our application. It is an incredibly powerful tool if you know how to use it. I am very new to it, but we do some pretty cool things with it.

We use Visual Studio 2008. Seems to be an acceptable XSLT editor, I havent used others so i can't really comment on its merits in that regard.

We also use XSLTs to parse client data that they send and transform it into a format acceptable for our system so that we can import it.

We use Visual Studio 2008. Seems to be an acceptable XSLT editor, I havent used others so i can't really comment on its merits in that regard.
:p Maybe that's why I don't use it more often. I code XSLT by hand in Notepad.

I use XSLT at work for two purposes (currently). 1 is to take an XML document and translate it into a PDF (using Apache FOP), the second time I use XSLT is to transform an XML document I received from a web service to translate it into xhtml to display it to our users. I find it very useful and time saving.

Interesting use cases, thanks for the reply. I ask because we bought a web services gateway that seems very powerful with xslt... the use case we need it for doesn't require xslt so I am just curious what else we can do with it. It sounds like it's mostly for xml to x transformations where the source is always xml. Thanks.

Back