Anyone here used this cheap tool to delid?

mateyman

n00b
About to delid my 8700k using this tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SKRB8C/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_791WEbD6R1B12

Anything I should know or do before attempting to delid with this tool? Saw a few videos on youtube and the guys kept turning for a good few minutes. I plan to have the vice hold the kit and so I only have to hold the hex key.

The description says to heat the CPU so glue doesn't stick. Any other tips from anyone who delided using this tool, especially using an 8700k?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't hesitate to use the cheap tool. What's the worst that can happen? The tool breaks.

Then again, I delidded a hundred CPUs with a razor blade and a blowdryer...

What's the worst that can happen?
The tool CPU breaks.

Your razor blade method is actually a little safer (not taking into account CPUs with surface mount components on the PCB) because you're not messing with a clamping pressure applied perpendicular to the PCB. I'm sure you've seen failed attempts at the vice method before, and that tool OP linked is just that - an attempt to use the vice method without an actual vice.

If you're gonna use a tool like this, use a good one.

Looks interesting, though you dont really need anything more than a razor blade and patience.

Interesting, looks a lot like the Der8auer one to be honest. Even his just basically push the lid off slightly to break the sealing. So I really do not see why this would not work as long as you take it slow on the screw.

I used one of the 3d printed delid tools with a bench vise on my 6600k. Worked great. Just another option.

Use one very similar on many 6/700Ks and an 8700K - had no issues.

Just be gentle, apply constant and measured pressure as mentioned.

About to delid my 8700k using this tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SKRB8C/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_791WEbD6R1B12

Anything I should know or do before attempting to delid with this tool? Saw a few videos on youtube and the guys kept turning for a good few minutes. I plan to have the vice hold the kit and so I only have to hold the hex key.

The description says to heat the CPU so glue doesn't stick. Any other tips from anyone who delided using this tool, especially using an 8700k?
CPU delidding is not exactly rocket science. As long as that tool mates up properly, it will be fine. Take your time.

Or just go nuts.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back