Anyone here use Nagios?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed it on Thursday last week because I needed something to monitor if a process was running on our Exchange server and am very impressed with it. I have it installed on all of our servers except for our SQL server (its the only 64bit OS and from what I can tell Nagios only has 32bit agent software and am not that familiar with installing a 32bit app on a 64bit OS).

I am having a few problems getting it to monitor our network printers, but thats because I didn't have net-snmp installed at the time I compiled so it didn't install the plugins that use net-snmp, but I am working on it. Right now its installed on a box I had in my basement that was going to be my network server at home, but never got around to it. Its a Via C-3 1ghz processor with a gig of ram and a 250gig HDD running Ubuntu 7.10.

I'm just wondering if anyone else uses Nagios, and what cool things you use it to monitor, or give me some tips.

Thanks.

I used it a long time ago, i recall it doing everything i could imagine, its my second monitoring choice right after solarwinds.

Its a pain to setup, but works very well

We use it at work, monitoring 1000+servers (over 10000 monitors in all) but we don't use the nag client thing, just snmp and various plugins to connect from the monitoring hosts to the servers to perform the various checks.
I've also been working with Zabbix at home.

I setup Nagios at my previous employer for monitoring client servers and network gear. works well. config is a bit of a pain initially but once you get the hang of it it's not so bad.

We use it at work, looking to switch to zabbix or groundworks opensource. Nagios 3.0 has added quite a few functions. Currently we monitor only 110 devices and 220 services but we heavily customized our nagios installation to alarm based on snmp-traps which reduces the load on the server as it just runs checks against a database instead of a bunch of active checks across the network. Getting ready to start adding ~1000 devices over the next few months.

We're monitoring 3 DCs, a few linux servers, our wireless controller and a bunch of network printers. Looking to add in switches etc to have a status map with 'nagvis'.

Think we're using the check_hpdj plugin for the printers - gets status from all our snmp printers (HP mostly, but Brother working too)

We're monitoring 3 DCs, a few linux servers, our wireless controller and a bunch of network printers. Looking to add in switches etc to have a status map with 'nagvis'.

Think we're using the check_hpdj plugin for the printers - gets status from all our snmp printers (HP mostly, but Brother working too)

Yup, thats it. I had to install net-snmp and recompile and reinstall the Nagios plugins. Wasnt to bad, right now I am monitoring 5 servers, 4 printers a firewall VPN and a wap. Its great for what I wanted, all I really wanted to know if one service was running on one server, but Nagios does so much more I am really happy with it. I am going to set it up to monitor a remote host that is our website that is offsite, and figure out how to use it to check that Exchange smtp is working.

Anyone know of a good resource for setting up nagios for someone who has very little knowledge of linux.

I want a monitoring tool for our network (30+ servers) and nagios seems to tick all the boxes but I think I might struggle to get it setup.

I work for an ISP and we use it to monitor our switches and most of our data center

Anyone know of a good resource for setting up nagios for someone who has very little knowledge of linux.

I want a monitoring tool for our network (30+ servers) and nagios seems to tick all the boxes but I think I might struggle to get it setup.

On the Nagios website, under the help or how to sections, there is a link to a guide on how to set it up on Ubuntu. That's how I set it up on two different installs. Pretty much step by step and easy to follow.

I am considering it for monitoring clients servers and services. Has anyone done a setup like this? I have 15 clients with processes, server, and hardware that I would like to be able to receive email notifications/ect to preemptively know there is a problem.
Is Nagios a good solution for this?

Nagios can be setup to 'warn' at x value and 'critical' at y value - so if you wanted to monitor memory usage you could set it to warn you at 90% and critical at 95%, its basically as good as you set it up.

Mostly at the moment I have 7/8 hosts that alert me, the others dont actually alert me so I just keep the service list open to provide at-a-glance status of things; you need to be careful/mindful of how it will react to situations otherwise you could end up with 100s of emails in a few hours!

I have managed to Nagios setup on a server running ubuntu 8.1 which is not too bad seeing as I have only used Linux sparingly in the past. I have managed to get it monitoring some basic services on a windows box but I am stuck now.

Is there a good resource with guides on what plugins and stuff to use?

I have managed to Nagios setup on a server running ubuntu 8.1 which is not too bad seeing as I have only used Linux sparingly in the past. I have managed to get it monitoring some basic services on a windows box but I am stuck now.

Is there a good resource with guides on what plugins and stuff to use?

I think the website is http://nagiosexchange.com it has a ton of plugins. I don't have any custom ones installed right now, I don't really need them, it does everything that I want.

My next step is going to get it to monitor our exchange smtp and to remotely ping our web server which is not located in the same building to see if it is up.

Slightly OT but what software would monitor some servers and have a cool looking output to a plasma screen?

Nagios with the map would look cool

statusmap.jpg

We use it. Works pretty good, I have it monitoring my BES; CALs available, SRP status, and the BB processes.

Back