Anyone Here Use Google Fi?

FRZ

2[H]4U
Received my invite couple days ago, but wanted to see how people's experience has been with the service before I make the switch. I currently have T-Mobile and pretty much love it. Would imagine though that Google Fi could save me some money as I am paying around $100 a month currently. Having to use a Nexus 6 isn't an issue as it is what I am using now, and am located in the West Los Angeles area. Would love to hear some feedback from [H] Fi users :)

I've been using Project Fi for about 2-3 months now and am located in Chicago suburb.

The value for service is excellent; last month my bill was about $21 since I primarily used WiFi and only had 0.155 GB of cellular data for the month.

The cell phone service itself is pretty good. There have been a handful of time where I had to dial a phone number twice because my phone decided to switch carrier towers for the call and it resulted in a dropped call (It is a rare occurrence and doesn't bother me).

Coverage is what you expect. Project Fi is a essentially a joint service with T-Mobile and Sprint.

If you find yourself using WiFi a lot more than cell phone data, Project Fi is a steal of a deal; especially since you can send and receive phone calls and text messages over WiFi.

Overall, Google has done a pretty good job making the phone seamlessly transition to the best signal and I see no reason to switch carriers for the foreseeable future.

Question how much are you paying for by default and assuming you got refunded for the data you don't use.

Oh cool. They have that dynamic chart on the site now. I had thought that if you pay for only 1GB and use over 1GB, that'll cost more than if you pay for 2GB and get refunded or something. It turned out it's basically a $20 plan with $1 per 100MB. So that "$30 plan" is pretty good if you're in a place where Sprint and TMo is good.

That said, Nexus 6 is just too goddamn big for me. I have gotten the Fi invite a while back, but I was waiting for the Nexus 5 (2015). Now that I'm on the TMo family plan (originally on Sprint and TMo preparid), I don't think I will be trying the Project Fi anymore though.

Last edited:
I've been using Project Fi for about 2-3 months now and am located in Chicago suburb.

The value for service is excellent; last month my bill was about $21 since I primarily used WiFi and only had 0.155 GB of cellular data for the month.

The cell phone service itself is pretty good. There have been a handful of time where I had to dial a phone number twice because my phone decided to switch carrier towers for the call and it resulted in a dropped call (It is a rare occurrence and doesn't bother me).

Coverage is what you expect. Project Fi is a essentially a joint service with T-Mobile and Sprint.

If you find yourself using WiFi a lot more than cell phone data, Project Fi is a steal of a deal; especially since you can send and receive phone calls and text messages over WiFi.

Overall, Google has done a pretty good job making the phone seamlessly transition to the best signal and I see no reason to switch carriers for the foreseeable future.

Great review! I work from home, so I really get to take advantage of WiFi. I can even keep the phone in airplane mode and still make calls/sms. Just keeping it in airplane mode has increased my battery life pretty drastically.

Whats the call quality like on Wifi? I know AT&T's "hd voice" sounds a LOT better than their standard cell service quality.

Oh cool. They have that dynamic chart on the cite now. I had thought that if you don't pay for 1 GB and use over 1 GB, that'll cost more than if you pay for 2GB and get refunded or something. It turned out it's basically a $20 plan with $1 per 100MB. So that "$30 plan" is pretty good if you're in a place where Sprint and TMo is good.

That said, Nexus 6 is just too goddamn big for me. I have gotten the Fi invite a while back, but I was waiting for the Nexus 5 (2015). Now that I'm on the TMo family plan (originally on Sprint and TMo preparid), I don't think I will be trying the Project Fi anymore though.

My old phone was a Galaxy Note 2, so the upgrade to the Nexus 6 wasn't too much of a difference for me.

Whats the call quality like on Wifi? I know AT&T's "hd voice" sounds a LOT better than their standard cell service quality.

I do not believe that Project Fi has a 'HD Voice' equivalent, and, to be honest, I do not think I would be able to tell the difference unless I did a side by side test between a standard phone call and 'HD voice'.

The best response I can give you is just that it's like talking on a regular landline.

So I had a friend use project fi for about a month and switch off of it. When ever I talked to him on the phone it sounded like a bad voip connection. I couldn't really understand him. He said multiple other people had the same issue when he would call them.

He also had a really weird problem where randomly when he would call it would show up as being a number from texas to the person he was calling. We could never figure out why, it was seemingly random. Sometimes he would call me and it would show his number, other times a number from texas.

He's on verizon now and doesn't have the same issue so I don't think its the phone.

If anything its easy to try it and switch if you find it doesn't work as well as you would like.

Here's another review.

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/my-weeks-with-googles-cellular-service-were-mostly-a-di-1724915476

EDIT: just finished reading it. While it does sound like a terrible experience, it may not be the case for someone else who tries it. The customer support alone makes me want to at least try it out.
It reads to me like he had a bad SIM.

My experience for the past four days since I signed up has been mixed. Friday and Saturday, the WiFi calling wasn't working. I had been using WiFi calling on T-Mobile and loved it. Support told me on Friday to ask again after the first 24 hours of service (I activated at about 12:30 a.m. Friday morning). On Saturday and Sunday, it was a lot of back and forth, most of which was them blaming the things under my control - for example, maybe I had used T-Mobile while living somewhere else (nope), maybe I had changed my furniture configuration (nope, and WTF?), maybe I had modded my device (not even a little bit).

On Sunday, after a factory reset the night before, I got a message in the Project Fi app to "complete my activation." I had thought it was complete already but I touched the requested area, I guess my activation completed, and suddenly I was able to use WiFi calling.

Anyway, everything's working fine now. It's admittedly early but I don't know if I would recommend it except perhaps to address a problem (bad service in a particular place where Sprint+T-Mobile might work better or enabling WiFi calling). The service is clearly beta, and not GMail-type beta (everything works great but Google isn't willing to call it final). In general, I'd say wait while the early adopters do the testing. :)

My GF and I both have Google Project Fi / Nexus 6's and we absolutely love it.

We've never had a problem with voice quality .... ever.

If that guys friend had a cheap router and along with a shady ISP, yeah I've heard of guys having bad audio.

We LOVE ... LOOOOOOVVEEEEEEE the cheap bills. I pay 25ish a month. lmao at everyone else that pays double or triple that.

Back