anyone here use both a Mac and PC?

First time Mac user, just bought a Macbook Pro and have been using for work, love the build quality and OS. I want to possibly add an iMac or Mac Mini and use it as my home PC. But I also have a gaming PC I use for all my gaming. Does anyone here use a separate PC for games and Mac for everything else?

am I insane for doing this?

First time Mac user, just bought a Macbook Pro and have been using for work, love the build quality and OS. I want to possibly add an iMac or Mac Mini and use it as my home PC. But I also have a gaming PC I use for all my gaming. Does anyone here use a separate PC for games and Mac for everything else?

Absolutely not, IMO, that is what I do. Gaming on my Windows box is much better than my iMac....also there are more titles for Windows. At the same time, wouldn't trade my Mac's for anything.

had a MBP from 2010. was great but didn't have the power I needed for video editing. though, now that I have a desktop to handle that, I do miss OS X. might grab a 2011 MB Air as a portable work laptop.

I think a PC desktop and Mac laptop make the perfect combination.

+1. I have a PC desktop and MacBook Pro. This combo has worked out well for me.

I don't use my PC for "only gaming", but I have my MBP that I use for most things, and my desktop has a lot lower usage then it used to.

Pc desktop, Mac laptop. I had a Mac desktop and pc laptop... Wasn't as good.

same, mac laptop and pc desktop, pc desktop can do all the things i cant on my mac lol

Mac laptop, iMac, and a gaming machine plugged into the iMac.

Plus a file server, but that's headless.

I have a gaming win 7 PC, 2 win7 HTPC's, 2 laptops(one win7, one xp, one old dell(xp) my daughter uses and a WHS 2011 box.

Then I have this imac which I now primarily game on because it's pretty damn powerful and does as well if not better than my gaming PC.

I like OSX. I like Windows. It's all good.

i also use a macbook pro for laptop and pc for desktop, i thought i was weird doing this but obviously not :D

also i like how most accessories these days work with osx and windows, dont have to buy seperate stuff.

i use my macbook + linux desktop.

I use the thin wireless apple keyboard on my desktop, and I kept using the cmd button for copying and pasting and stuff, so I just changed the keyboard shortcuts :D So apart from accidentally using cmd for everything, its been fine

My MBP is my primary pc, but I still have a more powerful pc for light gaming and VS2k10. Plus I don't know if it's a limitation of the MBP hardware or what, but the Android emulator runs like crap on my MBP, so again, most of that work is done on the PC.

Part of me wonders if the OP is actually Martha Stewart.

Bootcamp works fine for me, but would depend on the games you play as well as the hardware in your imac.

I did the same thing. If Apple would update the boot camp trackpad driver it would be the best Windows laptop I've ever used.

Kind of. I run OSx86 and dual boot with Windows for when I play games (which isn't often - never have time anymore).

Lots of people do it, Martha. I've done it in the past. Would be doing it now, in fact, if I hadn't given my laptops away. Just using a PC desktop and a ipad for mobile at the moment and am finding it adequate.

I maintain a separate gaming PC from my Mac desktop and laptop. Considering how frequent upgrades the PC goes through for gaming I just don't want it interrupting my work and personal use machine. Never going back to having one machine for everything. I just wish OS X had some sort of better way to keep a laptop and desktop sync'd. Files and applications (their data and settings).

I maintain a separate gaming PC from my Mac desktop and laptop. Considering how frequent upgrades the PC goes through for gaming I just don't want it interrupting my work and personal use machine. Never going back to having one machine for everything. I just wish OS X had some sort of better way to keep a laptop and desktop sync'd. Files and applications (their data and settings).

rsync ;)

I'm used to Windows so I use that on my main machine(s). But since I bought a MBP I've been seeing the light and that some tasks are easier on a Mac than on a Windows machine. Plus, it makes my brain exercise in the morning when I switch between the two.

I used to have a PC Desktop/Mac Laptop combo, but I ended up just wondering why I needed a $1000 laptop to do things that I could do on a $400 laptop. I liked the trackpad and the Mac experience wasn't bad, but not worth $600 for what I did. Plus, there still isn't a good way to connect the Macbooks I had to a TV via HDMI (with audio). If I had more disposable income, I would think about going back to a Mac, but for now I'm ok with a PC desktop/PC laptop.

I almost think I could get by with an ipad on the road if I had to though.

Plus, there still isn't a good way to connect the Macbooks I had to a TV via HDMI (with audio).
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-1080p-Video-Digital-Adapter/dp/B0035CPNWA"]Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1080p Video with Digital Audio Adapter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3125ufO3o%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@3125ufO3o%2BL[/ame]

I never saw those when I had a Macbook. But even so, I think a $1000+ laptop should be able to do what a $300 netbook can do now.

I use my PC for everything at home and use my Dell Mini9 with OSX for surfing when I take it out on the road.

im like many in this thread. I have a PC and a 2010 MBP. I want to add a 27" iMac to the collection and make my workflow more mac oriented and leave my gaming to windows machines

I have a 580GTX SLI surround gaming rig but I only game on it, or browse the web sometimes. All the household devices sync to a MacMini with a Drobo that has all my media. An AppleTV2 does all the movie rentals and gets my media into my home cinema setup. My day to day lifestyle stuff gets done on an iPad2 and iPhone4.

I'm looking forward to a new Mini with Lion on it.

PC desktop, Mac laptop. My laptop is pretty old though dunno if I can afford replacement it for the price they are now.

I have a Windows desktop, an OSX desktop and a MBP. A lot of people use dual+ monitors on their desktop, but having separate machines is even better. Control them with a single keyboard/mouse using Synergy.

I use a Macbook Pro for most of my mobile needs, but I have a gaming PC that I use for my gaming needs. I am constantly trading files back and forth between the two. Music, Word/Excel documents, etc.

I just upgraded my desktop, I am hoping either late this year or next year to upgrade my Macbook Pro.

I had a mac mini, then after a while, i returned, too slow for my taste. now i am back with a 2600 pc system @ 4.2ghz, way faster. and i found out that windows os is a lot more professional imo. mac os is like, an applications shareware world. but i do miss the mac os, desktop, and how the icons look like. and how background wallpapers and picture quality is a lot better than in a pc.

Nope. Running a Mac wireless keyboard and Logitech MX Revolution on both.
A you running two for each? Or two for both?
Isn't re-syncing them more of a hassle than changing the plugs of wired keyboard/mouse?

Back