Anyone here play any of the Homeworld games still?

I was playing HW2 again last night and I realized that it's really quite a good game. I also realized that there aren't that many people who play it anymore, or at least, that I can find (there were like 10 people playing online). I'm wondering why a pretty good game with decent balance and great graphics could sort of disappear as this games seems to have. I was also looking for stuff on how to mod it, and there isn't very much stuff on it that's recent or still working. A shame, me thinks.

Also, my friend recently told me that he tried to sell it back to EB games and he was offered $3! wow.

Not to be critial, but I think the reason HW and HW2 didn't take off was because it's difficult for many to do "3 dimensional warfare". I tried to get some friends interested in the demos so we could LAN it, but no one else wanted to play, so I spent my money elsewhere. The HW series looks great though- too bad it hasn't caught on much.

The original homeworld was the greatest, it had great support etc. i think we had a total of... 6 patches? each one changing the game completely. so after every other patch, we would be trying to find the new strategy :)

Homeworld:cataclysm, sucked no support, and was unbalanced, sucked

Homeworld 2:
GASP me and about 15 others were waiting for it for a good 2 years :)

it was fun yup... good game, no wait.. Great game.

a 3 dimensional game isnt difficult to play, or learn, not when the set up is like homeworld series!

Yup good game too bad Relic didnt support the game very well.

I would fire up a game of Homeworld 2, BUT my cd has a large gash in it... i have to buy one of those cd fixer machines :(

i could play some original homeworld... sigh good ole game if youd like maybe i can find my CD and we could play some,
Oh yea, dont get down about the community, there should still be a definate crowd of people that enjoy the game and play it regularly.

dont get discouraged about the small size of the community, Homeworld + Homeworld 2 only had about 60 people online total at any one time.

It would be nice if they used a Homeworld 2 type engine to produce some sort of game based off of Enders game, by Orson scott card.

HW2 was a great game. IMO the problem was there were only two sides, and those two sides didn't have great deal of units. It didn't take long to get bored.

Both HW's were great...but as previous posters have said, my guess is people didn't enjoy the games because they couldn't handle the full 3D environment.

Whatever man, HomeWorld Cataclysm was the farking best, WAAAY more user friendly and forgiving then HomeWorld 1. That last mission was so asinine hard I stil haven't finished it to this day. HomeWorld 2 was simply to fustrating and demanding to be enjoyable. No difficulty selector is totally gay.

IceWind said:
Whatever man, HomeWorld Cataclysm was the farking best, WAAAY more user friendly and forgiving then HomeWorld 1. That last mission was so asinine hard I stil haven't finished it to this day. HomeWorld 2 was simply to fustrating and demanding to be enjoyable. No difficulty selector is totally gay.

The only way to beat that Bio-Mechanical mothership is to use a large group of scouts to EMP the ship so it stays in one place then fire off your laser. It is very hard to keep a large group of scouts alive, I know, I beat it by fireing at random spots and eventually I hit it.

A few months back I picked up homeworld2 and Hegemonia. Homeworld2 was pretty good, but I think I liked hegemonia better. Should check it out if you already haven't. The SP story is pretty typical and generic, but still good, and the game play is awsome.

IceWind said:
No difficulty selector is totally gay.

Sounds like you're one of the people who need the game to reveal an easy mode if you can't handle the way it was meant to be played :p

Wheeee

Xrave said:
Sounds like you're one of the people who need the game to reveal an easy mode if you can't handle the way it was meant to be played :p

Wheeee

Bite me. Life is hard enough, I don't need my entertainment to be. :p

hw 2 was an awesome game, nice looking especially... but then i played R:TW and now every rts look like sh**. oh yeah, and i played around 5 levels of hw2's campaign before giving up. i guess the reason was that the story got too confusing to really get into

bonkrowave said:
It would be nice if they used a Homeworld 2 type engine to produce some sort of game based off of Enders game, by Orson scott card.
I think a better basis for this mod would be the Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. It's a tactical sim as opposed to a full blown RTS, which is definitely where ender's game lies. You don't resource, you don't build, you have your equipment and you've got to make the best of the situation with what you've got.

If you haven't played Nexus you should, beautiful graphics, fun gameplay, with good depth of tactics, adequate story.

Once in a while, I'll fire up HW2 and scrimmage against the CPU with the Starwars: Warlords mod. The mod continues to be polished up and works pretty good now. A whole bunch of ships from the movies and from everything else Star wars.

I haven't played them in awhile, but oh the fond memories. I loved the first one; the second I liked but not quite as much.

Now I think I might have to go dig out my CD's and have a little nostalgia session later today :)

HW and HW2 were awsome. I totally dig the 3d warfare. If you use 3d apps much (ie. Maya, 3dmax), navigating that game is second nature. I always wanted to do my own Star Wars mod for it just to do it. The game just needed more depth, like a few different factions to play and I would take it over any other RTS out there.

I finally finished HW2. I'm really happy with the way that it turned out, and I REALLY hope that they continue the series. They set up a great new story and I think they have a lot of possibilities.

I enjoyed HW2 but then my CD got scratched and I couldn't install It. :( This makes me want to go get it again, where is it cheap? Has anyone played nexus, if so, how is it?

Metallica_Band said:
I stilll haven't finished HW1...I have HW2 but I want to win HW1 first...

Salvage corvettes .... its all about salvage corvettes ... just steal as much of the enemy fleet as possible. The difficulty for Homeworld does not ramp up according to the size of your fleet.

I got mine for like $9 with shipping on ebay.

I think i'm going to try out nexus this week, it sounds fun.

Back