Anyone here old enough to understand this ?

lol im only 39 but i do get it cause for awhile i had to use a old pentium with 32 or 64 megs of ram might even been less it was windows 95 days cause i killed my main pc overclocking/modding it to a new heatsink lol. That old pc had 1 pci slot i had to decided if i wanted internet or a video card to do some movie watching couldn't do both lol.

64 MB in Windows 95 would have been a super expensive computer. In 1995/1996, 4 and 8 MB were the norm, with 16 MB being an expensive luxury.

Not to mention the memory caching issues with certain pentium boards. Too much memory makes them run even slower.

I upgraded my Compaq Presario 9232 to 40MB EDO (8MB onboard + 32MB added) in 1996.. I remember it costing several hundred dollars, lol. But hey, the PC and RAM still works today, so I got my money's worth out of it. :D

We had an Egghead in San Diego back in the day. Was a candy store for nerds. Loved it. Bought those 720KB 3.5" diskettes and used the hole punch to make them dual side 1.4MB diskettes. I remember buying Starflight there and losing whole weekends to it.

I had the pleasure of meeting the founder of Egghead years back after he'd gone into semi-retirement during a pitch -- nice guy. He'd moved on into elearning. We didn't license (despite my vote, I was just a little fish at the time), but I understand he did quite well with the venture.

Yes I understand it....unfortunately

The first "family" PC in the house was a Intel 386 at I think 20Mhz with a whopping 2MB of RAM and if I remember correctly a MASSIVE 40MB HDD :p

The first PC I personally ever purchased was in 1997. It was a Pentium II 350Mhz with 64MB of RAM and a 8GB HDD that I later added a 3DFX Voodoo II in that really got me into PC gaming and I haven't looked back since.

The reason I remember edo was that it mounted sideways onto the motherboard.

My dad had these back in the day

PET in 1978 (1 MHz), he would go to bed at night, and put it on his chest and work on, “chestop” as opposed to “Laptop“
1595248151313.jpeg

then a ZX80 in 1980
1595248193029.jpeg

followed by a ABC800 Luxor, which I played PACMAN on in 1980 as well
1595248296046.jpeg

my first computer was a compaq 386SX-25Mhz laptop in 1991-92 with 1 mb ram
then a 486 DX2 66mhz
all that was in Denmark, Europe for those struggling with geography 🤔😉

ASUS Pentium 75 in 1995 8mb EDO ram crazy times in Australia
Prices in both countries were and still are significant more expensive than in the 🇺🇸

thanks for the trip back “memory“ lane 😂😂😂

Back