Anyone here mod a Shuttle G chasis to fit in a dual slot video card?

KillDFurby

Limp Gawd
With the R520 moving to AGP, I want one in my SN95G5 hehe.

How easy is it to mod? Pics? Price for the service?

You could do something like what mashie did on his Doom3 mod. Get some modders mesh, cut out a hole where the vid card is, and then put in the modders mesh, but having it go out a lil bit to make room for the larger cooler. You would have to slightly modify the cooler to vent out of the mesh instead of going all the way to where the PCI slot would be.

Modding is something that a person does for themselves, I dont know of anyone offering a modding service, if you want it done you will have to do it yourself, that is the fun!

Well ViperJon sorta offers a modding service, but thats voltmods and such... only type of service I can recall

rather not mod the cooler. if ati designed it to have a dual slot cooler it was for a reason.

KillDFurby said:
rather not mod the cooler. if ati designed it to have a dual slot cooler it was for a reason.
na i got the card PCI-e and runs nice at 50c idle and 80c load a smaller cooler would make it go up much i dont think...and mines inside of the DIY fragbox 2

I fit my BFG 6800 Ultra into my SN45G shuttle. Rather simple, cut the dual PCI brack in half and cut out a square around your video on the cover and throw a nice looking speaker grill over it and you're done.

Or, cut out most of the side of the cover and frame it and mesh the whole side. I cut the square out so I can could put the cover on my shuttle and I am still deciding on which route to take. Good luck though, just stare at it till your eyes get blood shot and you'll get some ideas :D

While you may be able to make clearance for a dual slot video card, the power supply may not be strong enough. I've seen people have issues with 6600GTs and 6800GTs that seem to trace to power problems. My setup (see sig) seems to be fine, but the power supply gets EXTREMELY hot under heavy usage.

I had no problems running my shuttle even with my stock psu. I had a dual rate dvd-burner, 1gb ram, 160gb hdd, pci wifi card, and the bfg 6800 ultra. Not a single problem..

No, that was with the stock 200w psu. Shuttle's power supplies are built like tanks and they do put out :D

BigBadBiologist said:
so shuttle power supplies are like female lacrosse players? :confused:

Haha, interesting point, i was thinking more along the lines of rugby.

Back