Anyone here know how to debrick WRT54G? If so, how much?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by SNYP40A1, Dec 29, 2008.

1. SNYP40A1

SNYP40A1 Limp Gawd

I bricked my Linksys WRT54G router this morning, a description of the incident is posted here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44720

Depending on the advice that I get, I might try the shorting 2 pins trick to see if that will allow me to tftp, but I don't think that will work in my case since I apparently used the wrong flash of DD-WRT. I will probably need to JTAG in order to debrick, but I lack the tools. Does anyone here enjoy debricking Linksys routers and if so, how much do you charge?

2. supergper

supergper Gawd

Honestly, it's probably not worth it to pay someone. You can pick up a new wrt54g for ~$30, you'll pay almost that much in just shipping.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

I've de-bricked using the pin short method on two routers. It's time consuming...not a fun experience.

What was the version of DD you did? The full first instead of the micro first? If that's the case...it will usually come to life after several "resets" and power cycles.

4. The Spyder

The Spyder 2[H]4U

I never got my V3 unbricked, what was worse is it just randomly bricked itself one day. Just stopped working, lights on just like its bricked. Anyone want it? I tried all the tricks minus a JTAG.

5. omega-x

omega-x 2[H]4U

There's guides out there on unbricking via shorting the pins on one of the chips when you apply power to the socket

except I'd actually call it fun ;)