Anyone here hold odd sentiment to older electronics...

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
Personally I am having difficulty letting go of my old laptop.

It has been a constant companion to me reliable easy to fix or work on a little lacking in power but the battery was a marathoner 4-6 hours on a full charge.

I was recently gifted 2 laptops.

one is a new in box budget laptop a
toshiba c55t-a5222
celeron 1005m 1,9ghz ivy bridge
4gig ddr3
500 gig 5400 rpm hitachi drive
reltek 8188 pos wireless card...

the other is not new and not likely to be used.
HP dv 9000 circa 2006
core duo or core 2 duo not sure yet need to boot it no power cord.
likely 1.66ghz-2.1 ghz
17 inch
weighs a ton...
has xp on it atm supports vista might load 7 on it...

My old rig is in my sig but it is a toshiba c650d
1.65 ghz bobcat amd apu
radeon 6310
6 gig of ddr3
750 gig 7200 rpm hitachi
Killer 1202 wireless card

I guess what i want is opinions and ideas my mind is a bustle with the new laptop and all the features it has the cpu is in a socket i think i could put up to a i5 3230m in it i can probably swap the wifi card out of my old laptop into this one and the hard drive too then new 500gig into old one and old 8188 wifi card into the old one could restore 7 to it or load linux.

Also my initial impressions on the new laptop the sound sucks it is louder and painfully low quality my older toshiba did not have great sound and was a bit on the quiet side maxed out but it was better than this one. It feels smaller than my old laptop.

Last edited:
To me, older audio equipment is hard to let go of. Especially speakers and tube amps. New crap just doesn't sound as good.

What are you asking? If people are sentimental about their devices, or if you should choose between the laptops listed?

It still got my IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003. I fire it up every now and then just to check on it. However, since the original CMOS battery is basically dead, it needs about 5 minutes to boot up. It was pretty responsive back in the day, but the single Pentium M 1.5GHz and the DX8.1 Radoen 7500 is a bit too weak to surf the net nowadays.

Maybe I should buy a new CMOS battery for it Amazon for around $20.

Its not electronic devices, its things that give you good memories.
If you have a need to upgrade and it makes sense financially, do it.

Its not electronic devices, its things that give you good memories.
If you have a need to upgrade and it makes sense financially, do it.
they were free so more or less choose the one I like best and roll with it migrating is going to be a pain.

I once did a little resurrection project with an old Celeron 700mhz notebook.

I replaced the 8GB drive with an 80GB 7200rpm one, I put in the max ram (256mb + 64mb soldered), DVD drive, PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZS sound card (actually has an audio processor on it so not CPU powered), put in a pentium III 850mhz CPU (limited to 700mhz).

I also took out the mini PCI 56K modem and put in a wireless card and routed internal aerials which meant 54Mbps wireless was actually the fastest data input to the device.

It could then run windows xp and playback DVD movies with 5.1 surround sound and not give a single hitch.

If I could easily resell I'd upgrade every one to two years at the latest. And by easily resell I just meant in terms of hassle, I of course expect the depreciation hit.

I'd say the only device I have some sort of sentimental value towards is this old printer I have. I may spend the possible $100-$300 to resurrect it at some point in the future as a hobby project.

I still have a old P3 dell from 2001, PIII 1ghz, 512M ram 40gb hdd 15" 1400x1050 screen and dual batteries. Was pretty much top of the line back in its day. Only reason I keep it around is it represents the laptop I always wanted back then but could never afford, almost a trophy to me lol

Hmm, my old MONALISA1 pc build (sig), an old Nokia 7110 phone that I still use today and longer until it dies and my last generation PowerBook G4 used every night to do some ebook reading before sleep

I love and own several pieces of vintage audio equipment. For pure music enjoyment, it's tough to beat a well cared for, 1970s-era Marantz receiver.

I usually sell my used PC, cell phone and other tech-oriented stuff once I upgrade.

It still got my IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003. I fire it up every now and then just to check on it. However, since the original CMOS battery is basically dead, it needs about 5 minutes to boot up. It was pretty responsive back in the day, but the single Pentium M 1.5GHz and the DX8.1 Radoen 7500 is a bit too weak to surf the net nowadays.

Maybe I should buy a new CMOS battery for it Amazon for around $20.

The CMOS battery is just a plastic sleeved 3 volt CR2032 button cell if my memory serves. I have replaced dead CMOS batteries by tearing off the plastic, putting in a fresh cell, and then taping it up. Save yourself the money.

I still have a bunch of old Thinkpads. They just refuse to die. I have no practical use for them but I still like to look at them every once in awhile to appreciate the engineering that went into them.

Back