Anyone here fix cpu's with bent pins?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a friend of mine that was trying to assemble his 3950x pc, and bent several pins that I cant seem to straighten out. There are about 9ish pins and I just dont have the needed magnification to get to them without screwing up other pins. Anyone here skilled in this art and can help us take a chance in getting this working again? Obviously he will pay you, and I know you cant guarantee a pin wont break off as they are very fragile.... we understand, just looking for an honest person that is willing to try. Please PM me... Thanks a million

I actually spent the last 2ish hours doing this very same process... no bueno!

I also have a super thin pair of needle nose that can smash them flat again and pry them back up in position. Other than that good luck, you may have to just bite the bullet and grab a new cpu. Shit happens in our hobby. Makes for a good drinking story in a few years when the pain has subsided.

I've redone them with a very small jewelers type flathead. Had to bend 5 of them back and held my damn breath at each one waiting to see it go "plink", but was successful. This was on an Intel CPU though.

I also have a super thin pair of needle nose that can smash them flat again and pry them back up in position. Other than that good luck, you may have to just bite the bullet and grab a new cpu. Shit happens in our hobby. Makes for a good drinking story in a few years when the pain has subsided.
Can you share a link to similar pliers to what you have?

OP, share some pics of the bent pins. The ones folded flat can break off. If they're 45 degrees or less, 'easy' fix.

Back when amd made ceramic cpus, I snapped the corner off of a fx51 trying to remove the ihs, known as delidding now but I don't think anyone called it that then. That hurt.

Post a pic.

And I second that, that AM4 pin density makes it a bit harder than the old AM3.

A long thread needle and run it through a row of pins, pull up on each side evenly, then rotate and repeat until pins are straight. This works so well that you won't be able to tell they were ever bent. I have already done this method on an r5 1600 and works perfectly if you select the right size needle.

cpu sent out to a forum member, CROSSING FINGERS he might be successful with a recovery!

Good luck with that ,always better to hand it off after you tired and got no reasonable results. I done a 3600X with bent pins a couple months ago and worked out fine.Never done a 3950X though.

Mechanical pencil trick works nearly every time. The only time it doesn't, is if a pin is smashed 90 degrees over. Even then, you might still sometimes be able to get the trick to work. I have done it many times over the last two decades plus I've been building computers.

One time, I was carrying some hardware across my living room when I first started reviewing motherboards. I had a brand new Athlon 64 or Athlon X2 of some kind courtesy of Kyle. I think it was one of his super high end CPU's that he used for testing. I had my own test CPU's much of the time but on occasion we'd have to share them until we could get enough to go around. I opened the thing up in my kitchen which was right near my front door at the time. I was looking at it, and I ended up dropping the thing and it hit the ceramic tile pin side down. I ended up flattening almost an entire row of pins on the CPU's outer edge. Needless to say I about shit myself. I ended up doing the mechanical pencil trick and got them in good enough shape to get the CPU back in the socket. Once you can do that, the ZIF socket will straighten them the rest of the way.

Needless to say, I never had any trouble out of that CPU and it worked perfectly. It took quite a while and some of them were laid over pretty hard. I was amazed I was able to straighten them out without breaking any off.

A pair of long, thin razor blades carefully squeezed with some needle nose pliers worked for me on a 2300X.

Back