Anyone here bought gpu directly from Nvidia website? Feedback?

biggles

2[H]4U
Nvidia has the gtx 1070 listed for $400 on their website. It is of course the founders edition and on back order. And it looks like the cheapest way to get a 1070. Has anyone here ordered from Nvidia before? What was the experience like? Warranty? Sales tax in CA? Any idea how long the wait would be?

Older articles suggested the founders edition cards were not desirable vs aftermarket due to inferior cooling and higher prices. However, under the circumstances, it seems the founders edition cards are now cheaper. What is the consensus opinion on founders edition cards, are they pretty good?

eh, in the grand scheme of things, negligible difference, and my understanding, NVidia cards have the better memory (Samsung if I recall correctly) disregard as later information in thread leads to other conclusions....

that said, no I havnt purchased from NVidia, but I have a friend I suggested go that route due to price...though I'm not sure what the turn around time is...

also not sure you would need to worry much about warranty issues......though, if something were to go haywire, you may be waiting awhile for replacement regardless....but that seems to be across the board right now...

just my 2 cents fwiw

Last edited:
I bought a couple Titan Xp from Nvidia. Founders cooler was replaced with AIO. No warranty experience yet. Paid tax in CO. Shipping was slow, but all good so far.

I bought my Titan Xp cards through Nvidia. They were in stock when I bought them, so I cannot speak about backorder items. But for the in stock they were quick, sent a number of notices verifying purchase and verifying shipping. It did not take too long for the cards to arrive. I had zero issues with the cards, they are currently running in my system and I do not have any issues with their cooling.

2 week turnaround time according to my co-worker who just bought a couple 1070 and 1080TI from them in the last few months.

hard to catch them being in stock though.

My Titans were Micron RAM per HWiNFO64, YMMV

glad to hear, and sad to hear, its very possible my information on that was wrong, or misconstrued, quite frankly I cant remember where I heard / read that, it was some time ago, and my memory loss issues are of no help these days..

Yeah, the only other manufacturer who seems to sell directly to customers is EVGA. But their prices are much higher. Cheapest 1070 was $470 there.

I totally would prefer to have the much better cooling solutions all these other guys offer but I’m not willing to pay over retail for these god damn cards.

So, I will take a reference design to hold me over at retail.

I bought my Titan X Pascal from Nvidia's website. It came fast. Had bad VRAM, I think, which caused artifacts. They were able to process the RMA and send me a brand new Titan new-in-box in less than a week. Great service.

I ordered my Titan X from them. It shipped within 24 hours and was at my door exactly on time with 2-day shipping. The card was packed a lot better than what you would expect from Amazon or Newegg. Has Samsung memory and I can't overclock it higher than 11 GT/s without artifacting, FWIW.

Same as a few of the other guys - bought 2 x Titan Xp - both shipped out fast and arrived well packed and in perfect condition.

I caught a 1060 while it was available (at the time, the 1070, and 1080ti also available IIRC). I was not happy with how it went. But basically they charged me right away even though it wouldn't ship for weeks (illegal from a few comments I've read, but I'm no lawyer) and their communication was so slow / bad that about 2 weeks later when I tried to cancel, they said it already shipped the day I happen to send the cancel request.

I will say the card came well packed as another poster indicated, but their practices are pretty shady. I've heard of one other story that happened like mine where NVidia charged ahead of shipping the card, so I think it's just what they do.

I ended up selling the 1060 for a small profit instead of returning. Even though they could not cancel the order when I sent the request, they set up an RMA in expectation I would still want to send it back. I just never sent it back.

Ordered Titan Xp with 2 day shipping and arrived with no issues.
Ordered Titan V with 2 day shipping. You have to ask Brent how it arrived.

Titan XP in 2016, took 2 days.
Titan Xp CE, last weekend, 2 days.

Wicked service, and if Titans are going to be the new top end, then that's me for life direct via Nvidia! :p:confused::cool:

Update: got an email from Nvidia Thursday at 1:36 PM PST saying the cards would be in stock on Friday. I probably refreshed the nvidia shopping page 100 times today with no luck. It is too bad Nvidia does not have a system to reserve cards after clicking the auto-notify button. They could hold the card for 24 hours awaiting payment and then sell to the next person if you missed that window. That would be much better for buyers. Because the way it works now people would have to stay up all night, stay home from work, just keep refreshing the webpage and hope to get lucky. Not a viable way to buy a gpu at the moment for most.

Update: got an email from Nvidia Thursday at 1:36 PM PST saying the cards would be in stock on Friday. I probably refreshed the nvidia shopping page 100 times today with no luck. It is too bad Nvidia does not have a system to reserve cards after clicking the auto-notify button. They could hold the card for 24 hours awaiting payment and then sell to the next person if you missed that window. That would be much better for buyers. Because the way it works now people would have to stay up all night, stay home from work, just keep refreshing the webpage and hope to get lucky. Not a viable way to buy a gpu at the moment for most.

I did the auto notify when in stock. Within three minutes of getting the email the cards were out of stock. Good luck getting a card.

I purchased a TitanXP last month and it took 2 business days from order to my house. I must have been lucky to log in early in the morning.

I ordered a Titan Xp Jedi Order Edition on 01/20/2018. I received order confirmation the same day. My credit card was charged by NVidia and the order shipped on 01/23/2018 out of Saint Paul, MN. It arrived on 01/27/2018. I live near Seattle, WA.

I was charged sales tax, if that's a factor in your pricing.

5 titans (2 X 2016, 2 star wars XP, V) no problems - I only paid for some of these but all came to me. Sales tax in most states, its just digitalriver doing fufillment nothing special.

So, as part of regular web browsing for fun, I sometimes check nowinstock, amazon, ebay, evga, nvidia for stock and pricing on 1070s. A few minutes ago the 1070 FE was in stock at nvidia.com, purchased it. I will report back on the entire process.

What a shopping experience, It has been quite an adventure this time around with the gpu upgrade. With the crypto mining effect on pricing of course.

1070 arrived in the mail on the 17th, so 1 week from ordering until receiving it. Sales tax in CA. Package and product in excellent shape as expected. I would recommend ordering from Nvidia with 2 complaints. First, auto-notify does not reserve buyers a card. When there is a shortage like we have had lately it is pretty much luck if you end up scoring a gpu. Second, received an email in error saying order was "unsubmitted" same day of order. But anyway the order still went through despite these challenges.

Regarding the 1070 performance, it is boosting the core to 1860 mhz without manual overclocking, is that a decent result?

The card tears through Gears of War 4 benchmark. Occasional frame rate drops from 60 fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Very High. Tested Assassins Creed Black Flag, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Apex 6, Witcher 3, and Final Fantasy XV benchmark. 1070 does not feel like overkill at 1080p (people seem to think the card is a better fit for 1440p). It actually seems about right if you want mostly a consistent 60 fps with ultra settings.

Slower shipping than we're used to with places like Amazon but its a solid place to buy from. I prefer the blower style coolers so the nvidia direct ones are great since its been the only way to get them at MSRP for quite a while now. The site itself kept breaking and selling out in minutes during the peak of mining.

Regarding the 1070 performance, it is boosting the core to 1860 mhz without manual overclocking, is that a decent result?

Default boost is temperature-dependent. My 1070 boosts initially to 2048 and backs down once the GPU reaches 56º C. Even though yours is an FE and mine's an ASUS, Boost 3.0 should work the same way.

Back