Anyone have to hold down the shift key to move?

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
Seeing a goofy error on my brother's computer. A fresh install of XP (32-bit), fresh install of steam and TF2, everything was working just fine. After installing Portal (I think), all of the Valve games need the shift key held down for any key to work. I've reset the keyboard bindings to default, downloaded fresh, and verified all the files.

Anyone else seen this sort of thing? I'm stumped.

any logitech hardware? their infinitely shitty drivers have had this long standing bug with modifier keys, sometimes they randomly get stuck, so that you have to push it for them to be off. would make sense if you had to hold it down for your other keys to work properly. shift would ofc be more obvious since everything you type would be in caps. or maybe your shift key is just broken, who knows.

uninstall any mouse/keyboard drivers, go to hardware management and delete the usb controllers. os will reload usb drivers, and then the hardware will reload any software drivers if needed. cancel those out and try to run the games with default windows drivers first, then reinstall them after.

There will be a mx518... but this was with a stock microsoft mouse and generic keyboard. All that was done was more games added. Not sure if portal or HL2 messed it up. Argh.

Tried a few keyboards. I'm sure a format would do the trick. I'm having him back up the non-valve games, flush steam, and see if a clean install/download of TF2 fixes the issue.

He is using one of my old AMD3700 single core CPU w/ 2.5G of RAM. The XP license is tied to the hardware. He picked up a power supply, hdd, and 5770. When his wallet recovers, I'm sure he will pick up a mainboard/cpu/ram and then have a reason to go to a 64-bit OS.

I. Hate. Windows. Sticky. Keys.

Make sure it's not related to that stupid Windows Sticky Keys. Hold down shift for too long and it tries to enable StickyKeys. Seen this cause issues for other people as well.

I was getting groceries a minute ago and right when I was at the check out my Use key stopped responding. I'm gonna go back and try holding down shift, thanks.

Back