Anyone have thoughts on the new ebay/paypal 180 day policy?

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
I am curious to know if anyone has had a return/dispute after 45 days with a processor /desktop component or electronic item?

Thanks

I haven't in 15 years of selling, but I'm not a high-volume seller, and could see this easily leading to issues where a device breaks down long after sale and buyer demands return. A 180-day return policy is absurd.

Its enough of a change that I am no longer using ebay for sales personally and google wallet is my friend now.

Its enough of a change that I am no longer using ebay for sales personally and google wallet is my friend now.

Where are some other places people sell CPUs?

A half a year return policy is simply absurd. Especially true with electronics.

No doubt they'll be some people that just "rent" the latest processor from you and screw you over in six months.

Since anyone can do a charge back with a major credit card within 6 months is the reason PayPal went this route supposedly ,

With Google wallet how do you sell now? Facebook? Forums?

I dont understand if you sell a processor in warranty it literally carries over, unless the buyer was scamming you I dont see a point of them charging back. Warranty on cpu's is from manufacturing date and usually starts 90 days after that date even if you don't have a receipt. I don't sell a whole lot on ebay but I think you are to meet people with wrong intent here and there.

I don't understand why the seller is always considered the bad guy and all the rules work against him. I think it takes time to set something up for purchase, and the last thing that he wants is dissatisfaction and having to deal with a return.

On the other hand, all the buyer has to do is read and hit the purchase button.

I dont understand if you sell a processor in warranty it literally carries over, unless the buyer was scamming you I dont see a point of them charging back. Warranty on cpu's is from manufacturing date and usually starts 90 days after that date even if you don't have a receipt. I don't sell a whole lot on ebay but I think you are to meet people with wrong intent here and there.

I am working on an RMA with Intel for a CPU I bought on eBay. They gave me some hassle and were originally denying the RMA because they said the warranty did not cover when you bought the CPU secondhand. They asked for the original sales receipt, which I did not have. Through persistence and their good customer service they did eventually agree to RMA the CPU.

Recently I've bought a lot on ebay from recyclers / bulk sellers and talked to many of them because they honestly don't know the condition of hard drives, and electronics 90% of the time. Sure they can see if something "boots" or you see the POST screen, but most aren't going to stress test or any kind of test.

Their #1 concern is negative feedback. By simply TALKING to them about the problem I've found they will make it right. I've been refunded partially on a # of items due to various missing parts, not described as they say, etc... you REALLY need to stay on top of what you buy and what the auction states comes with it.

IE: I got some OLD hardware that said it came with EVERYTHING. Cords, Adapters, Software, etc. Shows up with 0. Seller says he has all but software (which is why I got the damn thing), an will refund some $ and send the rest. I also had a fan go out and had it replaced by an ebay seller.

Sellers are people too, they're reasonable, and they DO NOT want you to fuck them on feedback. SO, be honest buying and selling and the risk is there as before.

Electronics are hard to sell no matter where/who/what. Too easy for someone to totally fry it themselves and say it came that way. Warranty against DOA, that's it. I take screenshots of things working, and their package and package with label for proof of shipment, package quality, etc... any1 whos' purchased from me knows I don't mess around :)

Sure most sellers are reasonable. Back when sellers could leave feedback for buyers, I had this gem:

Purchased a palmtop computer, "working perfectly... missing hard drive". I asked specifically "Is the ROM chip installed? It's the only modulat chip in the compartment, I don't care if it doesn't have the CF (storage / HDD)" He replied "Yes".

I receive the palmtop, sans ROM. Obviously, it doesn't boot or turn on.

I grill the guy, he remits and refunds about half the purchase cost. I agree to leave him fair, neutral feedback : Seller accidentally misrepresented item, transaction completed amicably".

Seller leaves me negative feedback, calling me a scammer. I have to get Ebay to step in and remove the slander, after revealing our communication and the root cause of the problem.

I wish all my transactions were nice and easy, but more and more I'm finding sellers shipping "working" items without testing them, finding dead merch, and then (without much ado) sending it back, and getting my money back... But I'll never get back that week I waited for the part, and neither will my customer.

Sure most sellers are reasonable. Back when sellers could leave feedback for buyers, I had this gem:

Purchased a palmtop computer, "working perfectly... missing hard drive". I asked specifically "Is the ROM chip installed? It's the only modulat chip in the compartment, I don't care if it doesn't have the CF (storage / HDD)" He replied "Yes".

I receive the palmtop, sans ROM. Obviously, it doesn't boot or turn on.

I grill the guy, he remits and refunds about half the purchase cost. I agree to leave him fair, neutral feedback : Seller accidentally misrepresented item, transaction completed amicably".

Seller leaves me negative feedback, calling me a scammer. I have to get Ebay to step in and remove the slander, after revealing our communication and the root cause of the problem.

I wish all my transactions were nice and easy, but more and more I'm finding sellers shipping "working" items without testing them, finding dead merch, and then (without much ado) sending it back, and getting my money back... But I'll never get back that week I waited for the part, and neither will my customer.

Yes, this is a HUGE problem with discounters, close outs, auctions, etc... you MUST test.

I agree EBAY is and always will be a headache. Sellers paradise, buyers if you have lots of time there are deals :)

Last edited:
The 180-day policy and my experiences with a dishonest buyer convinced me to abandon eBay. The buyer thought they could rent for a few months, but didn't realize that our transaction had closed just about two weeks before the policy took effect. Their claim was denied. I didn't know PayPal ever denied claims.

I've already removed all of my information from both my PayPal and eBay accounts, and in a few months (when no threats of credit card chargebacks remain) those accounts will be closed.

But if I say "sold as-is", then how does that affect it?

What you guys are describing sounds like a 6 month warranty, which is not something I should be expected to do without additional compensation. Especially for something that is "trendy" like a cell phone or something.

It doesn't matter. The seller is always wrong.

Ebay and Paypal are for buying stuff. I would never sell on Ebay, or accept Paypal as payment myself.

I pretty much refuse to use EBay for anything ever again.

A few years back I bought a laptop on EBay. Later, when trying to get it serviced, I found out that the device had been stolen off the back of a UPS truck.

The seller refused to deal with me AT ALL. EBay refused to help as "they only connect buyer and seller" (we got our money, fuck you).

I wound up having to go to small claims court and STILL never saw my money.

FUCK that PayPal shit..somene got away with $210 from my hard earned money..
filed a dispute under unauthorized transaction and and as an auto reply from the so called "Claims Expert" (in Dr. Evil voice and quotation LOL) they said it is a valid transaction got damnit!
Never using PayPal again such scumbags hell even their stupid 2 step verification "KEY" is not for free!
I had enough and will never deal with these fools again!

It does suck, because there are so many items I could sell and make a killing on, that would otherwise never sell locally.

I did google you asshat.

The only official thing I see on the first 2 pages of that link is this:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Which doesn't mention ebay and is from November 2014.. I would assume a 'new' policy being talked about is newer than 5 months?

yes its been around since november 2014 anyone can file a dispute on paypal with any transaction , it doesnt even have to be ebay within 180 days

does this make sense to you. please refrain from name calling

Been a couple years back, but I sold an Intel Quad-Core CPU on eBay, a week later USPS Delivery Confirmation showed it delivered to buyer's address no prob . . .

Over four MONTHS later he files a PayPal dispute that he didn't receive the processor

Naturally, PayPal gave him his money back :(

I recently used paypal to sell some items. If I were to tell you how many people tried scamming me it would blow your mind. Literally, I spent more time calling eBay and arguing than I did doing my "real job". Not at all worth my time, and it's true as was said above, all I cared about was not getting negative feedback. At the end I barely broke even, received one negative feedback and it was for an item the buyer received. He left negative feedback since it didn't get to him fast enough.

Well screw that, if he wanted it faster than regular post pay more for faster post duh .

EBay is for the buyer, PayPal is the worst. If you buy something with paypal you can most likely scam your' way to reverse the charges and get your money back every time

It's stacked against you, it's a monopoly *literally*, plus they take 15% (10% from eBay 5% from paypal) and this includes SHIPPING CHARGES .... Sadly there's no alternative auction house and with eBay you are FORCED to check out with paypal.

Not a hater just my experience and I have used eBay since 99

I have had very few issues with eBay and PayPal. I had only 0.5% in returns last year. However, most of what I sold was not electronics items.

I agree that eBay treats sellers like crap.

Last edited:
It's a fragile balance either way. As a buyer on Ebay I have been finding that out lately. I mean as sellers, I expect them to do three things:
1. Honestly represent your item in the listing.
2. Pack that listing appropriately.
3. Ship that listing out to me.

That's it. It's a really simple job. I send my payment out instantly because I only buy when I want the item. I'm also very patient with shipping times because I do not choose or pay for expedited shipping. Amazon does that quite a few times a day (probably every second). I suppose planning the container takes some thought, but that's about it. My past 3-4 purchases have all run into some stupidity on the sellers' part.

What's really annoying about Ebay is that it does not differentiate buyer and seller feedback. Being a seller is a completely different game from being a buyer. I found that out the hard way recently as a guy simply did not know what I expected out of him when he was selling (as opposed to buying, which all of his previous bouts of feedback were from). Ebay has pretty straightforward brackets for what kind of condition your item is in:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html#tech

But this dude... nope, just can't get it through his head. You listed it as used and did not state any defects and that it all worked fine. But one part was broken. I pointed that out to him as being partially defective and asked for a sum of money corresponding to the downgrade in its operational status, but he wants to mitigate it and starts pulling out all of these stupid reasons about how "You didn't ask whether it was working before I shipped it to you!" WHY THE HELL WOULD I WHEN YOU LISTED IT AS "USED"?! I got fed up and instead of bothering with the partial refund and arguing with him about his responsibilities as a seller, I simply left negative feedback. Shipping the item back would have cost too much anyhow. Hopefully that ruins his chances of selling items, at least to people that bother to look at that feedback rating. I know it would do a lot more if Ebay didn't list your buying feedback as part of your seller feedback (or at least separated them out). Then people know whether you're actually a proven seller. What's funny is that he left me positive feedback calling me a "horrible buyer, seller beware!". I just had it removed by Ebay so uh yeah... he just left me positive without any note. Joke's on him.

More recently, I got an APC SUA1000 that was "Seller refurbished" with a brand new battery. I got it because I didn't want to bother buying a battery after I got one. Arrived, UPS told me to replace battery as soon as I plugged it in. It discharges in like 15-20 seconds (which I taped, in case anyone wants to see). Had to finally argue down the seller to give me back an amount corresponding to as if the UPS did not come with a battery... but it didn't take long. This was amicable. Seller admitted that "it had been sitting around but surely the battery was brand new". Again, another case of not testing your merchandise. And way too expensive for me to ship back for a return not to mention a huge PITA.

So what's the point of that drama? Pointing out that sellers aren't the only ones getting screwed. If you're an honest buyer not trying to play the system but just trying to seriously get what you ordered, it can also suck. Especially since return shipping (even on defective items...) is on the buyer normally unless the seller chooses to fund it or you somehow get Ebay to. Not to mention the whole thing ends up a big waste of time. That's why most of us just have to eat partial refunds unless we really strongarm it using chargebacks and such. I can see why Ebay goes out to screw the sellers some. Because if they don't, the buyers get screwed instead. I can tell you that if the policy wasn't at least as harsh as it is on sellers right now, I'd probably not even bother with the site. There are unscrupulous or negligent individuals on both sides of the coin, and they all want a piece of someone else's pie.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For a year I have been sitting on a lot of stuff I need to sell,while watching Ebay get ever more risky for sellers.I'm looking for alternatives.

It just makes no sense to sell using PayPal right now with 180 days.

So even if you put NO RETURNS in the listing they are still able to pull this?

The 180-day policy and my experiences with a dishonest buyer convinced me to abandon eBay. The buyer thought they could rent for a few months, but didn't realize that our transaction had closed just about two weeks before the policy took effect. Their claim was denied. I didn't know PayPal ever denied claims.

I've already removed all of my information from both my PayPal and eBay accounts, and in a few months (when no threats of credit card chargebacks remain) those accounts will be closed.

^^^^ Looks like I need to follow suit ... seems like the only viable option now.

"as is", "no returns", "no warranty" in the listing seem pretty meaning less to the Ebay and paypal.

^^^ This too .... I use to always put this in my auctions ...but it means nothing now.

Shame ... I can only use eBay as a buyer now.

Plug: check my for sale thread in sig ... I am not going to eBay anything ;)
Much rather see it go to members anyhow.

I'm amazed at you folks selling $250 new in box chips on eBay. Just wait until some scammer test drive and say it was never new and also defective. You going to have to eat it. You might even have to pay return shipping. No amount of legit invoice, video recording, personal face-to-face delivery is going to save you from a chargeback.

Last edited:
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html

What timelines should I be aware of?
•Seller’s return window: Review the seller’s return policy and return window before you make a purchase.
•If you did not receive the item, or the item is not as described, you have 30 days from your actual or latest estimated delivery date to open a request, under the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

If the seller has a no returns policy, and there is no claim made in 30 days to ebay about the item not being as described, I don't see how Paypal's policy will change anything if its sold on ebay.

^^^^ Looks like I need to follow suit ... seems like the only viable option now.

^^^ This too .... I use to always put this in my auctions ...but it means nothing now.

Shame ... I can only use eBay as a buyer now.

Plug: check my for sale thread in sig ... I am not going to eBay anything ;)
Much rather see it go to members anyhow.

How are you doing the money transactions?

http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html

If the seller has a no returns policy, and there is no claim made in 30 days to ebay about the item not being as described, I don't see how Paypal's policy will change anything if its sold on ebay.

True nothing will save you even you record everything

Ebay and paypal are the devil when it comes to selling

The best options now from what i have heard is just selling locally.
Craigslist, Facebook.

Forgot to mention i think the only way to really help protect yourself from the negative or getting a significantly not as described 4-6 months down the road is to immediately email the seller by creating a generic email by telling them. I see you received the product i sold you and just would like to ask you if it has met your expectations as I described.
basically spam the shit out of his or her inbox until you get a reply back

maybe someone here can write one up for all of us lol or add more to what i have mentioned.

How are you doing the money transactions?

Are you talking in general or specific to my FS thread?

In general, I am looking into Paypal alternatives.
I will still honor Paypal payments for my current FS items though.

USPS money orders are fine by me.

True nothing will save you even you record everything

Ebay and paypal are the devil when it comes to selling

The best options now from what i have heard is just selling locally.
Craigslist, Facebook.

In general, Craigslist is a great for what it is.
The problem is that it has become dangerous.

Edit ... transactions started through Craigslist have become dangerous

Back