Anyone have pics of Westinghouse 37" LCD??

thaks alot for the great pics makes a load of difference in choosing this monitor over others. is that a sticker on the top right bezel? removable?

I agree thanks for the pics. :)

My westy 37w3 is due to arrive today shipped from samsclub :D !!

P.S. maybe you should get a black and grey keyboard like the ones Microshaft makes so that it matches your uber screen ;)

I recommend the wireless one myself, and I prefer the ergonomic/split one.

cmacclel said:
Here's my new setup.....I like it :)

IMG_3180-vi.jpg

where did you get that desk at, i love it!!!! :confused:

UPS arrived just now with my westinghouse 37w3 order from samsclub, which is just before I have an appointment by the way --- The box was crumpled on the bottom, then the driver turned the box onto the dolly so that I could see the other side and there was an almost 12" long gaping recatangle torn out of the top corner of the side of the box , with the whole side structure of the box crumpled. I had to refuse shipment. :(

Withs samsclub out of stock I may have to buy elsewhere, and either way wait awhile for it to get here :mad: I was so looking forward to having it today.

elvn said:
UPS arrived just now with my westinghouse 37w3 order from samsclub, which is just before I have an appointment by the way --- The box was crumpled on the bottom, then the driver turned the box onto the dolly so that I could see the other side and there was an almost 12" long gaping recatangle torn out of the top corner of the side of the box , with the whole side structure of the box crumpled. I had to refuse shipment. :(

Withs samsclub out of stock I may have to buy elsewhere, and either way wait awhile for it to get here :mad: I was so looking forward to having it today.

Im almost in the same boat man. UPS sucks. FEDEX is the safer route. 2 items in a row for me now with damaged items by UPS

man if i buy this i will need order it to australia which means shipping and also the possibility of return ship will be a pain in the backside

Crutchfield delivers via special freight carrier. I recieved my box without so much as a single scuff mark, and they have two men to bring it into your house and even unpack it for you if you'd like. I was considering Sams Club for a bit, but after factoring in tax and shipping, Crutchfield was actually about an equivalent deal when I took advantage of their 50% off a wall mount w/ purchase of a flat panel deal. My panel was delivered 5 days after my order at exactly the time specified by the carrier, and it came with the latest firmware installed.

Something to consider for those looking for the absolute lowest price available.

I would consider crutchfield or another vendor that does freight or fedex shipping, however now I have to wait for Sams club to receive the unit back from UPS (5 to 7 *business* days once sent out), then Samsclub has to decide if they have a replacement in stock to ship me or refund my credit card. Crutchfield is 5days to deliver so realistically I'm looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of november before I get this monitor, assuming they are still in stock >.<

Its tempting to put yet another 37w3 on my credit card but if samsclub gives me crap and somehow auto-ships me a replacement I could end up holding two westys. Besides I don'tthink I keep my cc max that high anyway and need room on it for some recurring monthly charges. I will have to at least wait the 24 to 48 hrs it takes for samsclub's tech dept to get back to me about whether they are in stock or not -- and if they will confirm ahead of time that they will assuredly refund my credit card once they receive the monitor back from UPS, perhaps I could use my paypal account to order from some other vendor since its connected to my checking account rather than my credit card. That would still risk having two 37w3 show up at my door if samsclub sends a replacement out though, whether due to miscommunication/error or not, but at least I would have the westy from somewher like crutchfield in 5 days rather than waiting 3 weeks for the smoke to clear and the credit to be refunded from samsclub, and the new order to process and ship from and alt vendor :rolleyes:

Am I having deja vu or are you guys repeating yourself in both the westy threads?

I wish it was only one thread, but I've realized that unfortunately some of the good feedback I got from this forum regarding this monitor would be missed if I only posted my thoughts/questions/experiences in only one of the two main threads. Some people seem to only follow one or the other and I've got good info from both. ;)

i agree the picture posting thread has turned into a discussion thread aswell with alot of useful info. so if you're smart you'd read both

The update on my situation is that I called samsclub again today and got confirmation that the westinghouse is indeed out of stock. I told the tech of my concerns regarding the refund or having something shipped when I wanted a refund and the tech assured me that I would get my credit card refunded once the tickets I had made yesterday go through.

Therefore on w1retap's suggestion I looked into techonweb.com which showed the 37w3 being nearly the same price (actually $46 cheaper considering I need my $40 samsclub membership refunded). I called to confirm and they do indeed use FEDEX as their carrier. Another plus was that they accept paypal orders (just not international ones) .. so for me having the samsclub order still sitting on my credit card for two or three weeks - the paypal allowed me to order from techonweb right now using bank account transfer while still getting some security/insurance from the paypal system similar to credit card purchases.

I've gotten a number of private messages both here and at AVS forums asking how I got my Westy looking so good and why my blacks are much better than the messengers, so I thought I'd post what I've done here. Note that the following instructions apply only to people that can edit their output devices gamma/color curves (most people on a PC can, for example) I will post the settings I've used to output content via my PC below, you may need to tweak the values a bit for your setup. If you don't create this curve, a significant portion of your shadow detail will be clipped or muddied too far to be seen as it should be.

It's no secret that the while this monitor is a very good one for the money, Westinghouse's 1080p LCDs have quite mediocre black levels. In order for you to see all the detail available in your media (be it dvds, games, photos, etc) you should create a custom gamma curve that affects your output device (in my case, utilizing the color correction curve in the nvidia video driver control panel) and you should change the black point from 0 to about .1, and the midtones point from .5 to about .58. The white point is fine where it is at 1.

Once you've set that in your video driver, bring up a grayscale gradient on your monitor and get into the Westinghouses on-screen menu controls. Set Brightness-50, Contrast-50, Backlight-20. Decrease your contrast until you see all available shades of white in your gray ramps, the new contrast should likely fall between 35 and 45. Open a media file with lots of shadow detail (I used the Batman Begins 720p Apple Quicktime Trailer for my reference) and find a particularly shadowy scene (I chose the part where Bruce opens up a cabinent to reveal his face mask and cowl) See if you can toggle your video drivers settings from your new settings to the default/standard settings and take note of how much more shadow detail is visible. If you want the display brighter, increase the backlight and not the brightness.

This should be ideal for cinematic viewing as you'll see everything you were intended to see. Please also be aware that any compression artifacts in your compressed media that were hidden/clipped before will becomes much more visible when your display is calibrated.

You may want to revert to default gamma for gaming, as the new settings will appear to lack the same punchiness they had before. If you want to keep these settings but increase the punchiness of the display during gaming, try using Brightnes-40, Contrast-80, Saturation-60, and Backlight 100 while playing. Remember to set them back to where you had them when you're done :)

Click the link for a screenshot of the gamma controls - Note that the screenshot may look a bit off for you because it has been specifically calibrated for my display.

Thanks for posting your tips Ryom. I agree you should tweak the hell out of your LCD's , video card driver's, and dvd players settings. I dont have my westy yet so I was very interested in your settings. Here is a paste of my generalization about blacklevels and dark detail on LCDs taken from my reply to someone questioning those levels on the other westy thread.

----------------------
"I can't comment on this particular set since I don't have it yet. However I've found blacklevels on LCDs to be best when running content at a particular display's native resolution. DVDs are stretched so lose some of the saturation(including blacks/dark levels) and detail. Compare running a dvd per-pixel in a window. Standard dvd resolution is 720 x 480 pixels. My old LCD tv was 1280x720 pixels, and this westy 37w3 is a huge resolution at 1920x1080 pixels compared to standard dvd . You can use an upconverting dvd player to help vs the scaling/stretching from 720x480 up to your display's much larger resolution to 'fill in' the missing pixels sortof.. but it can only do so much -- especially on a backlit LCD display. If you were to watch harry potter, sin-city, underworld(s), LoTR, etc on a HDTV movie station , or eventually a good HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc you would see a considerable improvement in blacklevels/detail over the small resolution of a standard DVD stretched out to fit your HD rez.

Having said all that LCD and DLP tech is inferior to CRT tech so you have some tradeoff in blacklevels and dark detail, especially with a 1000:1 contrast ratio monitor. However if the viewsonic 20.1" vx2025wm I am replacing is any indication of blacklevels at "only" 800:1 contrast ratio, I don't think you will be overly disappointed with the westy's blacks at 1000:1 after you tweak your settings.

I prefer running my PC to whichever monitor or tv via DVI or DVI->HDMI for a pure digital connection, and tweaking the video card driver and software dvd player settings to make the blacks optimal for whatever I happen to be watching. PowerDVD has custom profiles for example, so you could have one profile for very dark video material, and another for 3d or anime movies, etc. This monitor also has an independent backlight-level control which should give you more tweakability in turning it down instead of running the LCD like staring into a lightbulb as many LCDs run 'out of the box'. I've never had an LCD with independent backlight control, (or with 1080p rez for that matter) so I'm looking forward to tweaking the backlight control vs the other color, brightness, contrast, saturation, image sharpening, and gamma controls (in the monitor itself, the video card drivers, and custom color profiles in my dvd player software) -- to get the best pic I can.

One final note I almost forgot. Room lighting can have a dramatic effect on how your eyes interpret blacklevels. Some people buy a low-output lamp to put behind their monitor. In my case I have a lamp behind my corner desk's chamfered 'corner-gap'. The lamp is two sided, having a small 40w bulb on each side that can toggle between one side lit or the other, or both lit. This also works great for larger LCD and DLP tv's with various lamp setups. There are threads about this on www.avsforum.com"

Sidtech said:
Im almost in the same boat man. UPS sucks. FEDEX is the safer route. 2 items in a row for me now with damaged items by UPS

Mine was shipped with Fedex and it came in somewhat the same shape. However I accepted it and opened it and everything was perfect. I've gotten quite a few things from both UPS and Fedex that have come in pisspoor shape, it's nowhere near just UPS having poor handling.

For anyone looking to get the most out of their Westy when its attached to their PC, try this out:

If you've got a nvidia card open up your display driver control panel, go to color correction, and go to the advanced settings drop down so you can edit the curve. Drag the midpoint off of the grid (so that your curve stays straight when you change the black point), and then set the black point from 0.00 to 0.10, save the curve and apply it to all modes (desktop + overlay). Then go into the Westy's control panel and set the Brightness to 50, the Contrast to 40, the Saturation to 60, and the Backlight to 20.
This monitor has lousy black levels, so that should make shadow detail in movies and photos much, much more visible...

After you calibrate the black point as detailed above for this display, games like Half-Life2 and Serious Sam will look a little bit dingy. I recommend setting the panel to the following settings when playing games. Set the brightness to 40, increase the contrast to 75, increase the saturation to 60, and set the backlight to 100 (refered to from now on as Torch Mode). Once black is calibrated as detailed above, this creates one of the most stunning and awe-inspiring imagery I've ever seen produced by any display ever. You MUST see the display in torch mode after black point calibration, words simply can't convey what this monitor can do. If you've got one of these Westys, try it out (remember to calibrate first!)... it'll change your life ;)

Nvidia_Custom-gamma.jpg

Man if I played games with the backlight set to 100% I think it would burn my eyes out:) How far are you sitting away?

Mac

I'm sitting about 3 feet away while playing. After remapping the black point, the display is going to be much less bright... while having the backlight at 100 in that mode is still very bright, its not quite as bad as you might imagine. The purpose of those settings during gaming is to deliberately create a bit of "black crush" and a brilliant white clipping so that contrast looks like it is through the roof. The results I think are :eek:

could someone who has this monitor give me the exact measurement from top of top bezel to bottom of bottom bezel (without stand) (and left to right if possible). thanks heaps!!

edit: Thanks Ryom v v

When I got home from work two days ago, I found my shipment had been postponed until the following day so I called to see if FedEx would hold it for me to pick up that same evening. The driver was supposed to call me back to tell me if he had the box but I only got a dutch-ring with a busy signal when I picked it up. So I *69'd the number and called back. A FedEx girl answered and asked me about the order number and where it was going. It turns out she lives right near me and offered to bring the set home with her in her mini-van. So an hour later a pretty blonde girl in khakis pulls right into my driveway with the westy! Talk about service lol.

For the last two nights I've torn out my old entertainment center and its components, and moved two large corner desk computer workstations. A bazillion wires and gadgets to move. I also re-routed my satellite tv's coaxial through the cieling to the new desk position and disconnected my 'old' tv's surround speakers, etc. Alot of books,cds, lamps, a couch and table, and misc stuff moved also. My modeled basement is shaping up well now - it was a fair amount of work though.

The monitor is amazing. I am very happy with this purchase. It works best when I sit at 3' to 3.5' away moved back from the desk a bit in my wheeled chair using my wireless keyboard. It also looks great from 8' away where I have a couch sitting diagonally in a corner directly facing the desk and monitor. For the desk seating I would like the monitor to be 1' to 1.5' further back than it is so that I can sit right at the desk surface and still be 3' or so away from the monitor. So eventually I am going to purchase a stand or an lcd-arm wall mount to sit the monitor a bit further back behind the chamfered corner of my corner desk.

I'll take some pics tonight once I tidy up the leftover stuff from moving everything.

I asked this in another Westinghouse thread a few days back, but never got an answer on it.

I recently tried looking at some LCD TVs/monitors in this price range from the three foot mark at Best Buy, and I absolutely loved the way it fills a huge part of my vision (the 42 was even better in this respect). However, I did find that at that distance, I had a lot of trouble taking in the full screen at once, in fact it really bugged my eyes. Instead, I had to focus on smaller areas of the screen. Now, I admit, I have to do this with much smaller displays like 17 inch monitors too, but in comparison to the overall screen size of the Westinghouse, the areas I could focus on were tiny.

Now, what I want to know is, do you guys have this same issue, and if so, how does it affect your experience? Specifically, do you find having to focus like that can give you "tunnel vision" in games, and how does it affect ordinary usage involving reading through large amounts of text, which I imagine are going to cover a pretty wide area on a screen that large.

Hi guys,

I am having a hard time finding the following information online so please do post answers to the following if you happen to know the answers.

1) What is the dot pitch on the Westinghouse 37" W3?
2) What is the power consumption wattage? When on and when in power saving mode...
3) What is the dead pixel policy from the manufacturer?
4) What/How Long is the backlight warranty? 1 year limited?
5) If you want to mount this monitor flat up against a wall, what is the best FLAT wall mount for this monitor and what's the best place to obtain it?
6) Is the HDMI port video only or will it also process sound on the same cable?
7) Does the Westy 37" W3, have 1:1 pixel mapping for all inputs or does it stretch the picture without giving you a choice about whether you want it stretched to fill or not?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Great thread by the way. Learned a lot and am very close to ordering this nice lil monitor. :)

-WaitandSee

waitandsee said:
Hi guys,

I am having a hard time finding the following information online so please do post answers to the following if you happen to know the answers.

1) What is the dot pitch on the Westinghouse 37" W3?
2) What is the power consumption wattage? When on and when in power saving mode...
3) What is the dead pixel policy from the manufacturer?
4) What/How Long is the backlight warranty? 1 year limited?
5) If you want to mount this monitor flat up against a wall, what is the best FLAT wall mount for this monitor and what's the best place to obtain it?
6) Is the HDMI port video only or will it also process sound on the same cable?
7) Does the Westy 37" W3, have 1:1 pixel mapping for all inputs or does it stretch the picture without giving you a choice about whether you want it stretched to fill or not?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Great thread by the way. Learned a lot and am very close to ordering this nice lil monitor. :)

-WaitandSee
And thats why _____ (insert your religion's highest being or creater) created www.Google.com ...

Hey smartass.

Yeah I tried that. When the manufacturer doesn't list these things on their own site they are somewhat difficult to find elsewhere on the net as well.

That's why I'm on this thread trying to ask people who own it.

Thanks for sharing.

-WaitAndSee

P.S. MAN created Google.com, the Bible, and this Westy 37" so religion plays no part in any of this. Separation of church and LCD is a smart thing. Otherwise, go watch SAVED 20 times.

And why is Westinghouse hiding this information from the spec sheets at their site and online?

Why don't you answer that?

Are they embarrassed that the pixel pitch is probably HUGE and the wattage is probably like 250W or greater? Hey it's understandable for a 37" TV/LCD, but what's with the hiding of specs?? No one has a perfect product so they need to lay everything out on the table...

Text does not look very crisp from the pics I saw on this thread so it is a good question to want to know as well as the fact that the blacks are not as black as they could be...although again we meet the limitations of the current contrast ratios and lcd back light tech....i realize this is not SED...

And it seems like there are lots of dead pixels from another person's photo on here at least on this monitor.....just want to know what the average is from people who own it here...

-WaitAndSee

Granted I chime in from time to time to be a smartass too (mostly due to people's HORRIBLE spelling and grammar, but...) It pisses me off when people throw around that 'use google' or 'search for it' shit on here.

Odds are the people DID search for it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. They are on here for help, not to be belittled by people. Yes there ARE times and places for being flamed and such, but asking a question, especially since they are 'having a hard time finding the answers' is no need to.

Maybe some people should focus more time on updating that AMD 3000 / GF5600 / 11" CRT of yours than bashing someone looking for help?

Some early pics of my westinghouse LVM-37w3 lcd + sony FW9012 24" crt setup at my desk. Its still alittle messy but I had my girlfriend log onto her WoW account and snap some pics for me earlier. I'll have more time to tidy things up this weekend. Eventually I will get some kind of stand or lcd arm to allow me to set the 37w3 back another foot or so when I want to. The pics themselves turned out ok considering the lighting and that its not that great of a camera. Both monitors look alot better (and ALOT larger) in person. :D

westy-sony_early.jpg

elvn_westy-sony-Desk-1.jpg

westy37-sony24_desk-2.jpg

westy37-sony24_curves-1.jpg

westy_bella-the-hunter-1.jpg

Hey it's no problem.

You're probably all tired of talking about this Westy 37".

Here's the problem:

The NET is FULL of info BUT more info does not equal quality info. Unfornately search engines are not inherently intelligent and cannot distinguish very well between "good/correct" information and "bad" information.

I find a lot of searches to be bombarded with repetitive garbage and solicitations and companies that think of all the keyword searches we do in advance so that instead of us hitting the info we actually want, we end up at their site wasting our time being solicited.

Even NEWEGG.com which usually is good about listing specs, has many errors on the site which is HARD TO BELIEVE esp. for expensive items that people are trying to consider purchasing online. Some sites that I've seen have very little info and not even a picture of the item for sale! Truly amazing they do any business and that's just laziness to not follow up with your distributor for all the info you can get for your clients.

Again, we rely on this info to make an informed online purchasing decision just as we would expect an informed salesperson at the store to have all the technical specs at the store either in their heads or available somewhere...

Anyways, if someone does have this info, it would be appreciated and if I knew it and you asked, I would be glad to share the other way around because that should be the purpose of a forum...

-WaitAndSee

Hey great pics of your Westy 37 and your Sony FW9012!

I have a Sony FW900 and I thought this thing was da bomb when it first came out! I remember going from a 15" monitor to this 24incher and my jaw dropping!

Now in your pic, it looks like a tiny little nothing next to the Westy!

I actually only dreamed about having huge wall mounted LCD's as computer monitors and now it's a crazy reality to be able to have a 37inch wall-mountable computer monitor. Dam we're spoiled these days!

Nice desk setup btw and freakin cool clear computer box there.

-WaitAndSee

If this is a Chi Mei 37" Panel then is this the right info?

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/product/showtv.jsp?flag=20040804203848

(takes a long time to load this page from Taiwan...)

Super MVA Panel for LCD TV application

Says Dot pitch = 0.4275mm

Contrast Ratio is >600:1

Wattage of Panel alone is: 145W

Response Time is: 12ms (G-T-G) ???

The Westinghouse specs say 1000:1 and 8ms (wonder how they got 8ms...overdrive circuit?)

Wonder if this is the correct panel. Have to hand it to Chi Mei for flooding the market with large and inexpensively priced panels so that a 37" lcd is actually affordable these days...

They're also releasing a 30" panel in Q4 of 2006 with res of 2560x1600...same as Dell 30".

The 42" and 47" have even larger dot pitches which is understandable (although yeah it would suck to have very noticeable clusters of dead pixels on any of these screens) and they are listed at 8ms G-T-G but Westinghouse lists them as 6.5ms so obviously another discrepancy and something they're doing to lower latency somehow on their end.

Did you see the 56" Chi-Mei QHD (quad hi-def panel) they came out with! OMG 3840x2160 that is crazy... with a pitch of .324 on a 56"!!! Power consumption TO BE DETERMINED LOL!!! (air conditioner fan required for VAExtreme Technology!)...

-WaitAndSee

All right never mind, I got my answers in the end.... 1:1 mapping yes. HDMI audio, yes. Warranty 1 year... pixel policy 5 dead pixels near center of screen or something like that...

waitandsee said:
And why is Westinghouse hiding this information from the spec sheets at their site and online?

Why don't you answer that?

Are they embarrassed that the pixel pitch is probably HUGE and the wattage is probably like 250W or greater?

The power consumption is < 210w (And is not hidden, it's on the CNET site under specs. It is also in my manual.)

Text IS sharp unless you shove your face up into the screen.

I have ZERO dead pixels on mine.

Warranty is two years if you buy with most Visa/MC/Amex.

This monitor was huge when I got it but after a month of use it feels a lot smaller. The shrinking monitor syndrome strikes again.

I don't think you'd be happy with this monitor. Based on your posts it sounds like you are trying to find as many reasons as you can not to like it and you sound very skeptical. You might want to hold out for that 56" panel.

Well thanks for the wattage.

I wasn't expecting it to be small for a screen this size...I realize this will get hot from the backlight and power supply...need a nice cool room to put it in...

The dot pitch is hidden from the spec sheets I've seen. I guess they don't quote dot pitches for what they consider a "TV" although technically it is a "monitor" so they should quote it for those of us coming from CRT's... To make 1920x1080 on a 37" screen, they obviously had to increase the pixel size so it's understandable. This is not a 24" screen where they can have a .27 pitch... or .20 - .24 for some crt's...

So after the 1 year warranty, Visa/MC/Amex will cover you for another full year of warranty? I have to wonder how little they will actually cover however. I would take this "auto extra" card coverage with a grain of salt...

Being skeptical is not necessarily a bad thing. The display does look good however and the price is right. Unfornately some of you guys on here don't like to answer questions. Excuse me for coming to this forum to ask some questions!

QHD will be too expensive and overkill however I would imagine the resolution might be adopted possibly down the road for the HDTV2 spec one day. SED is still going to be better than LCD tech but it will be awhile for it to become mainstream and affordable ... This LCD will do for now however until SED arrives and I'm back to superior CRT tech. No offense LCD lovers, but CRT tech is superior in almost every way and once SED sets are out to address the form factor and power consumption issues of current CRT's, these LCD's will be worthless junk of a bygone era.

-WaitAndSee

Thanks for the compliments on my setup waitandsee.

About LCD tech -- i replaced a 50" panasonic LCD tv that is 3 yrs old with this westinghouse monitor/hdtv. The black levels are much better on this set, and the detail is incredible. [ It was a jump up from 1280x720(720p) to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) though so that had something to do with it aside from the contrast ratio improvement]. I set my desk up so that I'm looking directly at the monitor. I also put my couch kitty-corner in the opposite corner facing the desk, so I get a direct-line view of the monitor from the couch for HDTV viewing too. Direct-viewing this monitor, the blacks are definitely good.. I was expecting them to be better than my old tv but I am surprised at how good they are post-tweaking settings considering what I have read from a few people's comments.

Take this from a fan of CRT. As you saw in my pics I have a FW9102 (FW900) 24" widescreen CRT monitor. I also looked all over for a sony wega 34" xbr960 (super-fine pitch) HDTV crt over the summer - which took some serious searching around since they don't make them anymore. I got quite a deal on it open box from a circuit city north of me considering the open-box price-cut and a 10% off coupon I had. Anyway as you can see I am lucky enough to have both CRTs and LCDs and I have to say that the westy 37w3 (mine is 1.6 if that matters) , and even the viewsonic 2025wm 20.1" widescreen crt I replaced are excellent LCD screens. To me watching High-Def sources like the rave network concert with carlos santanna I saw this morning(with subtle room lighting set up purposefully behind the monitor) the 37w3 display looks incredible. I would rate it a 9 and my xbr960 crt a 10+.

Another point that many people in these threads considered before ordering these monitors is that they will be useful years down the road as an extra tv for a bedroom or other room, or for use as a dedicated console gaming display, etc.. once better technology comes out --at an affordable price(which could be quite a long wait)-. So to tell everyone your LCD will be worthless junk is a bit crass and untrue for most of us.

I would have answered more of your questions if I had the specs handy. I don't think anyone was intentionally snubbing your questions. Contributions/replies in threads like these go hot and cold for days at a time sometimes. As for the dot-pitch there are a few close-up pictures of text on this monitor that others posted which might give you some idea. I know this is just a general statement and not a specific spec but from my personal experience I find this display very clear and crisp.

I linked two of the pics below. The saturation seems pale in the photos which I think is due to the camera he used, but they give some idea of the clarity of the monitor though not the vibrance and depth of blacks.

westy PC text (large pic) #1

westy PC text (large pic) #2

waitandsee said:
So after the 1 year warranty, Visa/MC/Amex will cover you for another full year of warranty? I have to wonder how little they will actually cover however. I would take this "auto extra" card coverage with a grain of salt...

Yes it's another full year of warranty.

As for the "grain of salt" part I have no idea where you are getting that from. The coverage from my Visa is the same coverage that the manufacturer provides. The CC company just doubles the terms of the manufacturer warranty for an extra year. Of course there may be some variation in terms per bank, but generally that's how most of these extended warranties work. Check with your credit card company to verify their terms.

As for answering questions that's fine, but it's a tad unrealistic to post a laundry list of detailed technical questions and expect others to do the legwork for you when you have the internet as a resource available to you to find the answers yourself. I think some people respond with smartass comments if they perceive the person asking may just be lazy. For example, all you had to do was search "LVM-37W3 power consumption" and the answer to your question on the power consumption of the monitor is the first link that comes up in google.

Elvn, thanks for the info, pics, and posts.

It's decent enough to own so I'm going to order one and finally own an LCD despite my resistance to the technology. And like you said, it can be used as an "extra" display down the road when the tech improves on Crt's to make them lighter, thinner, wall mountable, and less power hungry. The Sony XBR's are truly remarkable. Surprisingly Sony hasn't done much with LCD tech other than their 23" LCD that they discontinued I believe. I have a 32" HDTV CRT and it's great but it weighs a ton and isn't practical to move around and even if I could use it as a monitor, it would break my desk and be 2cm from my face. The fact that you can lift a 37" or 40" or larger LCD by yourself is truly remarkable and makes it practical for computer as well as tv use.

Okay the contrast ratios, color depth, dot pitch, viewing angles, and MTBF are not the greatest (I've had crt's that have lasted for over 15 years so far that get used daily and still look like brand new without any hassling with backlight replacements)...but that's the cost of buying LCD tech these days.

Still a good value and it looks like prices will continue to fall quickly in this LCD market thanks to Chi-Mei so I'll pick one up and put it to good use for the next few years till I can own a SED monitor :).

Well, I guess I didn't know the card companies actually followed through on the benefits of having their cards in use. I do know that they love to send me "updates to my card's terms of use" very frequently. In fact, the other day, I received a very nice letter from one of the largest banks in america stating in legalese that if I were to default they would gladly charge me 32.24% and a $39 overlimit fee and share this info with all my other card companies so they can follow in suit. So yeah I guess someone has to pay for these "extended warranties". Just hopefully not us. LOL

By the way, no offense to any of you guys. I didn't come here to start a quarrel or to be crass or to bash the Westy 37" or LCD tech in general. I am definitely a skeptical person from experience as you can tell but there is nothing wrong with questioning things. I came just to ask a few simple questions only to receive a smartass reply and now I'm the "lazy one" who didn't do the correct searches on Google. :)

Pretty sad commentary on society these days if we have come to the point where asking each other questions ends up in retorts that you shouldn't ask a human for answers but rather, "go to hell and look it up yourself you lazy bia*** and are you that dumb that you didn't do this particular search?" (in not so many words of course)

Man oh man. Is it the islamofascist terrorists that are ruining our society or are computers and the net making us so removed from human interaction that we don't wish to help out our fellow neighbors anymore?

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. Was not my intention...

Take care (was nice meeting all of you) and have fun with your monitors...

-WaitAndSee

elvn, i got that same desk from officemax. Can you do me a favor and use it really close. Pull up your chain and put your elbows on the desk and try to web browse. I wanna see if its gonna be too big for someone who sits really close to their desk.

It is a bit too close for most ordinary usage on that desk. I've been sitting with my wireless keyboard at the near edge of the desk, or even in my lap for now. It works for gaming but when browsing I'm looking at a browser on one half of the monitor or the other at that distance. I need about a foot more distance I think.

If you look closely you will see that I have the FW9012( ~FW900) 24" crt monitor set just behind the desk on nice solid little wooden phone/microwave stand I got from target a long time ago which happens to be the same height as the desk. I did this because the CRT is so large in the back. I plan to similarly mount the 37w3 just at the edge of the desk using a stand or LCD arm. I'd like to be able to have the monitor right at the back of the desk or closer when I am using the monitor for room HDTV content, but most importantly I'd like to be able to set the monitor back from the desk varying amounts depending on what I am doing (gaming or browsing/applications).

A few of my top choices for mounting the monitor are in this reply:

LCD mounts

Back