Anyone have pics of Westinghouse 37" LCD??

H-street said:
in some ways investing in a monitor you really like/enjoy far outways other investments you'll see people drop into a computer systems.. (eg, what was the cost of a 6800U SLI system which is outdated only a year later).

I agree. The same goes for your keyboard and mouse, get one you really like. My friend told me to upgrade my pc but I instead just got a new mouse and waited for core 2. It was much smarter to do than constantly upgrade components.

Thanks for that post, H-street. I was feeling a little like.... oh no what did I just do. This is definitely the most money i've ever spent on any item ever. (I build my own computers). I bought mine especially for the Xbox360 1080p update. I plan to use it for that, PC gaming, console gaming, and as a HDTV.

My Westy arrives tomorrow. I took the day off from work just in case UPS comes when i'm not home. I can't wait!

As promised, pics of my new Westy that got here on Weds. Glad to say zero dead pixels and no UPS ground shipping damage from J&R (3000 miles away).

Let me first say that it is hard to take pictures of how good this screen looks. It's just TOO bright for the camera but amazing in person because our eyes have a much greater dynamic range. All these pics were taken with the Westy's backlight at ZERO.

Oh and if anyone is hesitant that this screen can't handle text and would be inappropriate for a dedicated computer monitor (like I was), don't worry about it. It's crisp and gorgeous. :eek: And this is coming from a guy who's coming from an NEC FP2141SB CRT (for sale, BTW).

The new Jerker setup.
Westy1.jpg

A downloaded 1080p trailer.
Westy2.jpg

I couldn't really capture the text right, but I tried for you guys...
Westy3.jpg

Shot from the upcoming "Children of Men."
Westy4.jpg

1080p trailer.
Westy5.jpg

Jarhead looks awesome.
Westy6.jpg

I know when I was waiting on my Westy I checked this thread everyday for pics. I hope this tides you over. Feedback?

Before shot. That's a 22" CRT and it looks tiny compared.
before.jpg

Kherozene said:
he said 'jerker' and i believe that is from ikea.
LOL. I have it too, like many others on [H]. Although I find it funny that the question, "WOW!!! What desk is that? It roxxors!!!" about the Jerker has been asked at least 5 times in this thread, even after people have said, "it's the Jerker from Ikea."

Veritas616 said:
LOL. I have it too, like many others on [H]. Although I find it funny that the question, "WOW!!! What desk is that? It roxxors!!!" about the Jerker has been asked at least 5 times in this thread, even after people have said, "it's the Jerker from Ikea."

how deep is it? i made my own desk and its nearly 40" deep

There's no possible way for me to read the whole thread and see if this has been brought up... But there's no way I can use a 37" as a monitor daily and not have my eyes bleeding or something. It just seems... too big and too close to your eyes, no? :confused:

I still like my corner desk best but thats just personal preference :p My gf also has a corner desk which is alittle larger than mine which is really nice too (with a 20.1" viewsonic lcd on it). . Both have great desk-space for books and drawing (sketching on paper or design w/my graphics tablet), note-taking, and even snacking etc.. on the side "wings". I also have another monitor behind one of the side desk 'wings' which works out well - since my keyboard is wireless I can easily move it in front of the other monitor when I want to. I'm still considering getting a wall mount for my ultimate westy setup but it is working out awesome the way I have it for now so I'll prob put that off awhile.

Those jerkers are nice though I must admit - but what I funny name lol. How far back is it to your chest from the monitor using those desks? It seems alittle too close for my taste on some of them. Once I had set my westy back 3' 10" (from my chest when sitting comfortably at my keyboard) on a stand behind my desk-proper it was a perfect perspective 'fit' for me.

-------------------------

Another update I thought I'd share is that DVD's look much better since I set my powerDVD to use hardware acceleration to upconvert them. Playing standard dvds larger than per-pixel (e.g. fullscreen) looks like crap to me without that turned on. This on the nvidia 7600GT I'm using until I get a G80 someday (tax return?) :cool: EDIT: -- Playing dvds on VLC media player also looks good , it must have some kind of upscaling turned on by default.

----

one last thing - I was having trouble finding wallpapers online pre-made at 1920x1080. They are almost all 1920x1200. I found that Denis Carl has added 1920x1080 option to the 'photo of the day' gallery pictures, so all of the more recent ones have that option if you want some good, free-download photos without having to edit larger rez down to 1920 x 1080.

DenisCarl photo wallpapers

dmanrevived said:
There's no possible way for me to read the whole thread and see if this has been brought up... But there's no way I can use a 37" as a monitor daily and not have my eyes bleeding or something. It just seems... too big and too close to your eyes, no? :confused:

i've read most of the post on both threads and i have ordered this monitor myself for this purpose and people here say that a good distance is around at least 3 feet. but some say they have it 2 - 2.5', I'll have mine setup 3 feet from edge of my desk to front of screen.

if you are keen on this monitor i suggest you read both threads (not every post), you can also search for specific keywords as well in a thread. :)

elvn said:
one last thing - I was having trouble finding wallpapers online pre-made at 1920x1080. They are almost all 1920x1200. I found that Denis Carl has added 1920x1080 option to the 'photo of the day' gallery pictures, so all of the more recent ones have that option if you want some good, free-download photos without having to edit larger rez down to 1920 x 1080.[/URL]

i think it is ok to just crop a 1920x1200 to 1920x1080, usually wallpapers have a signature along the bottom so you can just get rid of that

Thanks for those great pictures!

Let's see some of the 42" as well, still sitting on the fence here :confused:

Anyone find the monitor is super bright in windows, like when you open up a browser window. But yes its pretty good in game, like BF1942? I mean if I made it any darker it would be tough to see crap in the game. Is there a way to set up custom settings stored inside the monitor and changed at the push of a button? It would be nice to hit something and browse, then change it to DVD mode, or for the Xbox ect.

Thanks

I don't have the tv but if all else fails can't you just setup brightness through your video card drivers? I know with nvidia you can go into the drivers and adjust brightness, contrast and gamma for 2d apps or all if im not mistaken.

Finally setup my Westy. WMVHD movies look stunning. However, I'm a bit disspointed with the viewing angles.

Some pics:

new3uy7.jpg

westybv8.jpg

the wink thingy should be a clue, but having someone dictate who newegg is and what they do in a thread that is this many pages long should be taken lightly as well :D

NO1B4ME said:
I cheked your link and Newegg is still the BEST deal. Plus Newegg has AWESOME Customer Service. Trust me i have spent 4 g's in the past 2 months. I have had minor issues here and their and they take care of it RIGHT away :).

What was your minor issue?

bluto20 said:
WOW!!! What desk is that? It roxxors!!!

Without even knowing what picture your talking about, or going back to look at any, I am going to go ahead and guess its a Jerker. It seems to be a favorite among [H]'ers :D

KENNYB said:
What was your minor issue?
I was missing a HD on one of my orders. They took care of it right away.....

My monitor gets here on my B-Day... My present to my self :)....

ampedxc27 said:
It looks like a Dell multimedia keyboard, correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. The laptop is now too far away to type on! These keys are nice though...

Ok:
You + this monitor + gears of war @ 1080p = hot pics

Get to it! Thanks!

s00pcan said:
Ok:
You + this monitor + gears of war @ 1080p = hot pics

Get to it! Thanks!

You + purchased 360 and Gears of War + shipping box to me = you've got your pics

lol, what else do i need to run this monitor to my PC? Do i needto buy DVI cables, or do they come with the monitor?

Kherozene said:
lol, what else do i need to run this monitor to my PC? Do i needto buy DVI cables, or do they come with the monitor?

You know... that is a fantastic question... that never occurred to me. I would to like to know the answer to this.

Taipans said:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16812123030

I bought this with my westy order.

Belkin AV21400-12 Pure AV (incase link doesnt work)

On the monitor settings page, for brightness, contrast, backlighting and so on, will some of you post your optimal settings? I still have been messing with mine and I just cant seem to get the picture right!

Thanks!

Hmmm. I don't want to spend that much on a cable. Not that I wont, i've spent upwords of $80 on audio cables, but it just doesn't seem as necesary on a monitor. I'm thinking a $20 cheapie will do me right.

Back