Anyone have or preordered a Pocket Chip?

ColdRush

n00b
Super excited although it seems shipping estimates for preorders are getting pushed back a few weeks.

What are you plans for when you get it? I'm hoping to get some emulation use out of mine and hoping the keyboard feels right for it. Also plan to do the speaker mod that was posted up to the NTC blog.

Mine's on preorder and they just emailed me the address confirmation link today. So I should get it soonish.

I backed the Chip+HDMI kickstarter option and got my Chip a few days ago. It's a cute little board. Dealing with other shit at the moment but it'll be fun when I can get to it.

Meh, the controls look uncomfortable. I'll stick with my crappy R4 card on my ancient DS for NES, SMS and Genesis emulation. I may drop the cash for a DS Two Plus just to move on to my 3DS, and add SNES and full-speed DOS emulation.

But this thing? Looks like my hands will cramp up in fifteen minutes. I don't care HOW cheap it is, you don't sell a portable gaming system without dedicated digital cross (patent has expired, see Xbox One) and 4-button diamond. It's also missing shoulder buttons, which will make it harder to run emulation of anything remotely modern.

I know they''re angling for "portable Linux PC," but it wouldn't have taken them much space to add those controls and move the corner ESC key further south.

The only way they can fix this is if a 3rd-party developer makes a better enclosure. But for that we're waiting for this to get as popular as the Pi community. But as it stands, If I'm going to be forced to plug in a damn controller, I might as well just get an Android tablet with a bigger screen, and much more versatility.

Last edited:
Meh, the controls look uncomfortable. I'll stick with my crappy R4 card on my ancient DS for NES, SMS and Genesis emulation. I may drop the cash for a DS Two Plus just to move on to my 3DS, and add SNES and full-speed DOS emulation.

But this thing? Looks like my hands will cramp up in fifteen minutes. I don't care HOW cheap it is, you don't sell a portable gaming system without dedicated digital cross (patent has expired, see Xbox One) and 4-button diamond. It's also missing shoulder buttons, which will make it harder to run emulation of anything remotely modern.

I know they''re angling for "portable Linux PC," but it wouldn't have taken them much space to add those controls and move the corner ESC key further south.

The only way they can fix this is if a 3rd-party developer makes a better enclosure. But for that we're waiting for this to get as popular as the Pi community. But as it stands, If I'm going to be forced to plug in a damn controller, I might as well just get an Android tablet with a bigger screen, and much more versatility.

All good points, I'd say the pocket model is just a marketing gimmick and how they're receiving most of their funding to get the platform on its feet. Any competition is good competition in the tiny computing space though.

Just wanted to post some new stuff I'm excited for:

Full snap on 3D printed keyboard faceplate being worked on by a community member:
Modify PocketC.H.I.P. with These 4 Hardware Hacks — Blog. by Next Thing
fullcase.png

Popular emulation console software GMenu2x being ported:
I am porting gmenu2x - an awesome portable launcher from dingoo and gp2x to chip • /r/ChipCommunity
cPGgW3VMjyjW2Velz8syT-BqAXqGuNlk-SfyFlReeMA.jpg

Reactions: rat
like this
Oh, that looks nice. Feeling better about my decision to preorder the PocketChip now if people are coming out with nice printable mods like these.

Back