Anyone have much info about the logitech g700 mice?

so do i, but you're missing the RAT 9... i think i'll swap my mamba for the g700, but i would prefer the old g7 method of the two batteries... that was the choice for the RAT 9, so i just want to try it for the final choice :)

if the shape/feel of the rat 9 is near the g7, then the choice will be harder :)

Well, R.A.T. 9 isn't available here yet which is why I didn't list it. And most people prefer the Avago sensor that Logitech uses as it does not have the z-axis issue that the Philips sensor has (which is what the Mad Catz mice are currently using). Also, I prefer the charging cable and standard AA battery of the G700 to the Li-Ion swappable battery system of the G7. AAs tend to last longer, are easily found anywhere, and with the G700 you don't have to worry about doing a battery swap mid-game (though you'd still have to stop to connect the cable, so I guess that's personal preference). :)

I agree that ergonomics play a HUGE role, and for some people the R.A.T. 9 may be more comfortable. Thankfully, I and many others are pleased with Logitech's familiar shape that they've used in previous mice.

I can't wait to try the G700, but will keep an eye on reviews of the R.A.T. 9 as well. I'm just a bit skeptical because a lot of people felt that the decision to go with the Twin-Eye sensor turned a potentially great mouse into a mediocre/annoying one. I read pretty much all of this thread and many people ended up disappointed or even frustrated with the mouse.

The shape of it looks good though am i the only one that needs/wants just standard 2 buttons + wheel button?

Thanks for the comments -Foxhound-. Would you be willing to post a couple of dimensions? Logitech always ignore this detail on their spec sheet. Length, and width across the grip - say from the centre of the thumb buttons to the opposite side (I'm trying to figure out if this mouse would be small enough to use a finger tip grip comfortably)

I measured the mouse this morning. Here you go..

Width of palm rest from center of the 4 side "G" buttons - 6cm
Total width of base at widest point - 8cm
Length of palm rest from center of Scroll to bottom - 10cm
Length of palm rest from center of 4 side "G" buttons to top 7 cm
Total length of base - 12.5cm

Thanks very much for the dimensions, that will be very useful :)

I don't really like the detachable cable concept...
...I hope there's a G10x in response to the G9x, with wired only and the whole shabang.
I also really hope there is a compact version for fingertip gamers, G10x or whatever. The G700 might be OK for smaller hands but I was looking again at Logitech's photos and the G700 is quite tall, with a very pronounced hump - more so than the older G5/518/500? I think there would have to be significant compromises to achieve something similar to the G700 but in a smaller package. Going wired only would be an easy compromise to make, but I can't wrap my head around having so many buttons on a smaller mouse.

The five top buttons (two behind the scroll wheel, three next to left click) could be accomodated in a modified G9x/TactX shape. However the four thumb buttons may be impossible to incorporate without sacrificing the compact shape - I think it would need much more of a hump to house the upper two thumb buttons. Even a small bump restricted as much as possible to the left most edge could foul the index finger and make it uncomfortable. Maybe a small lever protruding from the top and left edge could do the job, but it may be difficult to make something robust enough at acceptable cost.

Last edited:
Thanks, but Roccat is very near the bottom of peripherals brands that I would buy: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507883 (reply 11)

I already have a TactX (G9x derivative) and an Imperator, both of which I really like, however if there was a new version of the TactX with the extra buttons from the G700 I would probably give it a try becuase the smaller shape is excellent for me. Wireless I'm not too fussed about, I'd probably only use it when someone proves that there is no latency penalty

Last edited:
I am loving the look of this mouse already. It has pretty much everything I was wanting in a mouse ever since I chose to upgrade from my MX518. The G500 that I upgraded to delivered on most of the aspects I was looking for, but this looks like it will deliver on ALL of them.

One of the best things is that it has even MORE buttons than the G500. I thought 10 buttons would be enough, but in some games like Bioshock 2 and Just Cause 2, I found myself filling up the whole mouse with commands and having to move the rest to the keyboard. I'm no MMO player, but I use as many mouse buttons as I can in action games. The more the better.

EDIT:

Just a heads up, the G700 is now available exclusively at Newegg. Just ordered mine. Can't wait to get it.

Last edited:
The shape of it looks good though am i the only one that needs/wants just standard 2 buttons + wheel button?

Yes you are. More buttons! Just don't map them if you're worried about hitting extra buttons, the rest of us love the options.

Do want! Not sure whether to order one now or wait until some of you guys get yours, but I'm sure it'll be awesome. I just wonder how the scroll wheel/MMB feels. If it's like the G500's, I won't be thrilled with it but as long as it's easier to press than the G9's I'm good.

Do want! Not sure whether to order one now or wait until some of you guys get yours, but I'm sure it'll be awesome. I just wonder how the scroll wheel/MMB feels. If it's like the G500's, I won't be thrilled with it but as long as it's easier to press than the G9's I'm good.

The mouse wheel on the G700 looks like it's somewhat more recessed and a little wider than the one on the G500. It should make it easier to click down on it without accidentally tilting it to the left or right. This was one of my dislikes about the G500, but I eventually got better with clicking the mouse wheel. Mine should arrive sometime next week. I'll give a full review on it when I get it.

Thanks, but Roccat is very near the bottom of peripherals brands that I would buy: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507883 (reply 11)

I already have a TactX (G9x derivative) and an Imperator, both of which I really like, however if there was a new version of the TactX with the extra buttons from the G700 I would probably give it a try becuase the smaller shape is excellent for me. Wireless I'm not too fussed about, I'd probably only use it when someone proves that there is no latency penalty

There is no latency penalty if you are gaming on a LCD. If you have good CRT monitor, then you probably might want to go wired.

Other then a joystick, this looks like the next best thing for playing MechWarrior Living Legends : P

I know this is kind of OT, but has anyone heard anything regarding a true successor to the G9x? I'm really debating waiting for it as opposed to buying this.

ive been using the mx line for a long time starting with the mx 1000, then i got a mx revolution.
that actually had 5 buttons on the side. It had a "thumb wheel" that didnt actually spin, it just toggled up and down and you could click it in which gave it 3 more buttons to the standard back forward ones. Im currently using the performance mx, which only has 4 side buttons, but I should get my g700 on tuesday.

the shape of the g700 is the same as the mx line pretty much. the only thing i miss is the auto switching scroll wheel from the mx revolution. The wheel would auto switch to free scroll mode if you spun it fast enough. The performance mx and the g700 have a mechanical switch to switch modes, I'm assuming its because its cheaper :(

anyone got one of these yet?

im curious about the tracking on it....having gone to an ikari laser it makes you appreciate how important tracking really is. when i compare the tracking of the mamba to the ikari the difference is night and day, the ikari is so precise, it puts the mamba to shame in wired or wireless mode.

cant find any reviews yet either

if anyone can comment on the tracking on it that would be great

I'm really tempted to order one of these since I really like the shape. I have been using a MX1100 and it's been a really good and comfortable mouse.

I've been searching for a replacement and I first started with the Microsoft Sidewinder X8. I knew before I bought it that I would have to get used to the grip, but after a couple days it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Also, the scroll wheel on the mouse is probably the worse I have ever used. I do like the charging mechanism, really east to connect because it uses a magnet and you can do it just by getting the mouse close to the cable.

I also ordered the Performance MX. Figured this mouse would be the safest bet since its very similar to the MX1100 and I was able to get it for $46.59 after MIR. I should have it in a couple days.

The G700 is very enticing since it combines the ergonomics/grip that I am used to of the MX1100 with gaming features/specs which I have missed since I dropped the G5.

For me the comfort is key, which is why I went to the MX1100 in the first place. Gaming features would be nice, but 80-90% of the use will be outside of games (school work, browsing, or general desktop use), so it's important to me that the mouse is comfortable for these tasks and the gaming stuff is just a bonus.

If I order the G700, I will have 4 mice (MX1100, X8, Performance MX, and G700). The X8 and Performance MX were both bought through Amazon so I don't have to worry about any type of restocking fee. However, Newegg appears to have a 15% restocking fee which is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

My G700 should be arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out. I've gone from MX510->MX518->G500 over the years and Logitech has yet to disappoint me.

Would love to get this mouse, but Logitech have really priced themselves out. In the UK it looks to be sold for around £85 - £89. Some retailers are selling the G500 for £29 now. Same sensor and simlar shape for a 3rd of the price! The wireless and two extra useable buttons is just not worth the extra £60. Will be waiting for price drops....

So I got my G700 in today. I've been playing with it for a couple of hours. I'll give my first impressions right now and a full review once I've fully adjusted to it.

The feeling of the mouse is definitely different than that of the MX518/G500. It doesn't feel quite as full in my hand as the G500 did. That is to say, it feels like a smaller mouse than the G500, even though it doesn't look it. Despite the fact that it doesn't feel as big as the G500, it does feel a bit more ergonomic. Gone is the annoying ridge from the right side of the G500 that my ring and pinky fingers were shoved under. The thumb rest is a bit bigger than the one on the G500, but not too big.

As far as the button layout goes, I'm quite impressed. The four thumb buttons are well with reach of my thumb without it being uncomfortable. The three auxiliary buttons to the left of the left mouse button are much easier to hit than the two buttons on the G500. Since each button is angled a bit differently, you never have to worry about hitting the wrong one. You can feel them out very easily.

This mouse has a total of 13 buttons, 3 more than the G500. I found myself running out of room on my G500 in quite a few games. I try to bind as many commands related to weapon switching and secondary actions as I can to the mouse so my other hand is free to concentrate solely on movement commands. The extra buttons on the G700 helped out quite a bit.

The mouse wheel is indeed more recessed than the one on the G500, making it much easier to click down on it without tilting it left or right. Oddly enough, the mouse wheel clicking motion has very little travel if any at all. It felt a bit weird at first, but I think I've gotten used to it. The toggle button that switches the mouse wheel from smooth scrolling to microgear scrolling is easier to hit than the one on the G500 as well.

The shape of the mouse and the position of the buttons make it hard to use claw grip with it, but I feel just as accurate using palm grip with this mouse. The recharge cable is a bit thick, so there is some cable drag when it's plugged in. In wireless mode, this mouse is the smoothest I've ever used. There is no input lag whatsoever in wireless mode. No pausing, hitching, stuttering or the like either. With the battery installed, the G700 is a little heaver than the G500 with no weights installed. I'll have to get used to this. I generally prefer a lighter mouse over a heavier one.

As of right now the mouse still feels a little alien to me because it feels so different from what I'm used to, so I can't make any sort of judgment until I've used it for a few days. When I got my G500, I absolutely hated it at first, but then I got used to it and I absolutely loved it. No doubt I'll have to go through the same process with the G700. So far though, it's looking like this is a keeper for sure.

Great to hear, thanks for posting your impressions. Give us a word or two on battery life in a couple of days if you can, as well as anything good/bad that you notice in the meantime.

After using it a bit longer, I noticed that the G10 button on the front next to the left mouse button is a bit weird. The button seems to work best when applying pressure downward and to the right a bit. The button seems stiff whenever force is applied straight down on it. I'm wondering if this is just an issue with my mouse. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has this issue.

How can these sites give stellar reviews without saying anything about how well it tracks? That is literally THE most important area of a gaming mouse. This mouse would be a consider to buy if it tracked like the ikari or xai laser mice do, but these reviews are only basing the mouse on buttons and battery life.

Is anyone with this mouse having a problem with the forward/back function? I've assigned G4 and G5 as the forward/back, but I'm essentially getting double clicks. I thought my previous G9 mouse had this same problem but don't remember what fixed it. This is driving me crazy.

Pegi, Foxhound in his review posted earlier in the thread mentioned using "Generic 4" and "Generic 5" rather than forward/back. That should fix it.

Yes, I did read his review, and that's what I did...Generic 4 (G4) and Generic 5 (G5) set as back and forward, but still have the problem. It only seems to rear its head when one is in a forum and using the back buttons; i.e., clicking the back button when I'm reading a note in the Mouse and Keyboard forum will bring me to the main Hard Forum listing instead of back to the Mouse and Keyboard forum, essentially a doubleclick.

Hmm, strange. Have you tried an alternate browser to the one you are currently using to see if the problem persists? The only other suggestion I can offer besides that at the moment would be resetting the buttons to their default and removing the software to see if there is a possible conflict there.

I think when I get through work I'll uninstall setpoint and then reinstall it. If it still persists, perhaps I'll post over at the Logitech forum. Just hoping in the interim someone has other suggestions. Seems that this sort or problem crops up every now and again with Logitech mice. Or perhaps it's just isolated to the Microsoft browser; that's the only one I use. Appreciate the help.

Make sure you uninstall previous mouse driver software for your other mice. I ran into issues with the buttons working correctly until doing so.

Is it easy to click the middle button on the G700? less resistance to middle click than the G9x generation?

I don't feel that it's any easier to click than the previous models.

Unboxing
http://i35.tinypic.com/2h3dlxe.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/30jpd80.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2ic8j5w.jpg

Two different USD cords for wireless and Charging.
You can connect the wireless dongle directly to the PC but it will increase the distance between them.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ng7ko0.jpg

Mamba vs G700
Tracking: I find the G700 to be smoother than the Mamba. It will still take some time to accurately judge this but so far it seems better. When picking up the mouse there is movement from the cursor which didn't happen on the Mamba. I could lift and rest the Mamba down on my desk without movement. During gaming the G700 could be annoying if you are a mouse lifter. The senor is in the front of the mouse which allows it to be more responsive than the Mamba. I don't have to move my whole hand to aim anymore. After a half hour of gaming, I found myself not lifting the mouse. The G700 felt more solid when kept it firmly to the pad. After an hour, I started to like it better than the Mamba. I hope there is an update for the cursor movement when lifting.

Comfort: Equal to the Mamba with a little more curve in the middle. The thumb rest is good but could have been a little smaller. The Mamba doesn't have a thumb rest. The G700 is a little heavier but it felt solid and helps with keeping the mouse on your pad.

Function: Easy to use software and better than Razer's. The three macro buttons located by the left mouse button are good but I rather have only two. Having three different buttons gave me some confusion when playing BFBC2. Setting the macro buttons to "generic" allows them to be programmable. The G700 mouse feet are great. The wheel is a lot better than the Mamba which seems gummy compared to the G700. Two different cables are needed for this mouse to function. Logitech could have made one base like Razer did with the Mamba. G700 uses a rechargeable battery rather than the Lithium Ion pack found in the Razer. The wire on the Razer is braided and thin and moves with the mouse without resistance. The G700 uses a standard cable that is little stiff and adds some resistence. I would recommend charging the battery before playing any games and use it in wireless mode.

Looks: Both look great so it's a tie.

The G700 IMO barely beats out the Mamba because of tracking. I find the Mamba's function to be a little better because the buttons are well positioned and uses only one cable/base. Also, the Mamba can be lifted off the mouse pad without cursor travel and the wire doesn't add resistance. Both are comfortable and look great. What makes or breaks a mouse is tracking, so I have to gave the win to the G700, but not buy much.

Last edited:
Yes, I did read his review, and that's what I did...Generic 4 (G4) and Generic 5 (G5) set as back and forward, but still have the problem. It only seems to rear its head when one is in a forum and using the back buttons; i.e., clicking the back button when I'm reading a note in the Mouse and Keyboard forum will bring me to the main Hard Forum listing instead of back to the Mouse and Keyboard forum, essentially a doubleclick.

To Pegi. After reading your comments, I can't help but wonder if you are still setting the G4 and G5 buttons to "BACK" & "FORWARD" from the buttons function list. If that is the case, then that's where you are going wrong. You should be setting the G4 & G5 buttons to functions "Generic 4" & "Generic 5". Read the descriptions of these functions, and they tell you that they are the standard forward and back buttons. DON'T use "BACK" & "FORWARD" from the functions list.

OMG, Foxhound, bless you a hundred times. I did totally misinterpret that. I was indeed using the "back" and "forward" from the function list. It does indeed work correctly now. I thank you so much for clarifying that for me. Truly, you've made my day.

OMG, Foxhound, bless you a hundred times. I did totally misinterpret that. I was indeed using the "back" and "forward" from the function list. It does indeed work correctly now. I thank you so much for clarifying that for me. Truly, you've made my day.

Pay it forward...;)

Unboxing
http://i35.tinypic.com/2h3dlxe.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/30jpd80.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2ic8j5w.jpg

Two different USD cords for wireless and Charging.
You can connect the wireless dongle directly to the PC but it will increase the distance between them.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ng7ko0.jpg

Mamba vs G700
Tracking: I find the G700 to be smoother than the Mamba. It will still take some time to accurately judge this but so far it seems better. When picking up the mouse there is movement from the cursor which didn't happen on the Mamba. I could lift and rest the Mamba down on my desk without movement. During gaming the G700 could be annoying if you are a mouse lifter. The senor is in the front of the mouse which allows it to be more responsive than the Mamba. I don't have to move my whole hand to aim anymore. After a half hour of gaming, I found myself not lifting the mouse. The G700 felt more solid when kept it firmly to the pad. After an hour, I started to like it better than the Mamba. I hope there is an update for the cursor movement when lifting.

Comfort: Equal to the Mamba with a little more curve in the middle. The thumb rest is good but could have been a little smaller. The Mamba doesn't have a thumb rest. The G700 is a little heavier but it felt solid and helps with keeping the mouse on your pad.

Function: Easy to use software and better than Razer's. The three macro buttons located by the left mouse button are good but I rather have only two. Having three different buttons gave me some confusion when playing BFBC2. Setting the macro buttons to "generic" allows them to be programmable. The G700 mouse feet are great. The wheel is a lot better than the Mamba which seems gummy compared to the G700. Two different cables are needed for this mouse to function. Logitech could have made one base like Razer did with the Mamba. G700 uses a rechargeable battery rather than the Lithium Ion pack found in the Razer. The wire on the Razer is braided and thin and moves with the mouse without resistance. The G700 uses a standard cable that is little stiff and adds some resistence. I would recommend charging the battery before playing any games and use it in wireless mode.

Looks: Both look great so it's a tie.

The G700 IMO barely beats out the Mamba because of tracking. I find the Mamba's function to be a little better because the buttons are well positioned and uses only one cable/base. Also, the Mamba can be lifted off the mouse pad without cursor travel and the wire doesn't add resistance. Both are comfortable and look great. What makes or breaks a mouse is tracking, so I have to gave the win to the G700, but not buy much.

finally, a user review on the tracking.
does it have tracking acceleration, x-axis issues (mamba) etc? when you move the mouse in a circle does it make a circle or does it try to make more of a squared circle?

i tried the razer imperator, and it flew off the page and was constantly missing the mark because of its RIDICULOUS tracking acceleration even when mouse acceleration was set to zero. HORRIBLE tracking mouse, wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

on a side note, i get the cursor movement on liftoff on my mamba, i think theres at least a little with every mouse, even the ikari.

Back