Anyone have anything bad to say about Abit IP35 Pro?

Arkalius

Limp Gawd
I'm working on a new system build and this Abit IP35 Pro seems to be a pretty good contedor for a good mobo. It's well reviewed at neweggm and it has the features I need. I know the SATA connectors are off at the edge of the board going sideways, that doesn't bug me at all.

Does anyone here have any good reason why someone should not buy this board?

If so, what would you suggest instead in a similar price range ($170ish)?

I had a lot of problems with the one I bought - couldn't get it to install Windows at all - just kept rebooting, even with straight stock settings. Might have just been a bad board though, as I haven't seen too many other reports of problems (some, but not a lot). The Gigabyte P35-DS3R or -DS4 are also good choices in that price range.

Are you planning to overclock heavily? Only main problem is the heatsinks have poor contact so its a smart thing to do if you get it ... reapply your own paste(MX2) and do he famous bolt mod. (Threads on it in lots of forums).

If you have a wolfdale its not officially supported yet.

And those 2 are my only complaints and I've owned this board for 6+ months and still going strong.

I built my first computer, about 4 months ago, around this motherboard. I have not had a single problem that I can think of. This motherboard is highly recommended by this first time builder. Booted up on first try.

Just built a new box for a friend, based on this board. Dropped in a Q6600 and straight to 3.0GHz without any voltage increase. Rock solid and error free for 12 hours while testing with Prime95 and OCCT.

The IP35 Pro is a great motherboard and I highly recommend it.
I never had any problem with it.

related question--

I'm building a machine with the IP35-E next week... haven't been able to find drivers at intel. I assume that like with every other mobo I have used, there is some kind of chipset driver package--and that whatever Abit provides is not the best version. However, this is my first time out of nVidia chipset land in a long time, so my assumptions may be off.

problems with 45nm cpus, everywhere. i had the ip35pro with a q6600 and it ran great, but not as good as the dfi p35 board i had next. so its an ok board, but not for wolfy.

and this is a hardware forum. people will have bad things to say about anything. people will have bad things to say about free blowjobs, here.

I found something like that, but it didn't mention the IP35 (sic) chipset so I moved on. The release notes list the P35, hope that's the same thing!

Note the title:
INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 3, 900 Series Chipsets

P35 is part of the 3-series, along with G33, G35, P31, and X38. There is no such thing as an IP35 chipset; IP35 is the name of the abit board series that uses the Intel P35 chipset.

Thanks... I had seen the chipset called IP35 (with the board being IP35-E or -Pro) all over the place so that was tricking me. All is clear now.

and this is a hardware forum. people will have bad things to say about anything. people will have bad things to say about free blowjobs, here.
Very true.
It's not perfect (what enthusiast mobo is?) but it's pretty close & it's user friendly.

people will have bad things to say about free blowjobs, here.

What happens in Tijuana stays in Tijuana. Or so I thought till my doctor told me i had gonasyphilherpaloids :( . So don't always go for the freebies!!!!

Some may have problems with the HX620 PSU. Mine does. i RMAd it so well see tomorrow...

What happens in Tijuana stays in Tijuana. Or so I thought till my doctor told me i had gonasyphilherpaloids :( . So don't always go for the freebies!!!!

i told you people would have bad things to say about free blowjobs here.

I've got the IP35 Pro and the HX620. Great board, no problems. I didn't even have to redo the heatsinks.

I also agree that the IP35 Pro is a great motherboard, it booted up fine and installed windows fine with my e8400. The only con is that the temp readouts were messed up but an update to the beta bios has fixed that for me.

Only complaint has to be the heatsink issue, which was mentioned in an earlier post. But that's easily taken care of with the bolt mod. Otherwise, awesome board...

first one caught on fire (BUFF has seen the pics)....replacement and 2nd board are working fine, also have an 'e' model.

first one caught on fire (BUFF has seen the pics)...
have I?:confused:
last pics of a mobo that caught fire that I remember seeing was an MSI 790X but it's possible for any mobo from any manufacturer with the production nos. involved..

have I?:confused:
last pics of a mobo that caught fire that I remember seeing was an MSI 790X but it's possible for any mobo from any manufacturer with the production nos. involved..

I guess it was Master of None then...I posted about it in the abit forums, pics were posted at Rage3d :)

I can't really say anything bad about it

perhaps a slot issue with spacing, or the extra molex position when CF is used.

maybe the socket being too close to the edge might be a problem with some computer cases.

but otherwise, waaaaay to many good and great things going with this motherboard (I went from a Gigabyte P35-DS4 to this)

The PCB is blue?
I've had my IP35 Pro for few months now and have nothing but good to say about it. Granted, I'm not running a 45nm processor but I'm quite happy with the board.

I also agree that the IP35 Pro is a great motherboard, it booted up fine and installed windows fine with my e8400. The only con is that the temp readouts were messed up but an update to the beta bios has fixed that for me.

Is the beta bios required to get the wolfdale to work? What version/where did you get it?

I just bought this board last week and it works great...installing the SATA cables were a little tough with how they were placed...but other than that it is a great overclocker and also very easy.

Maybe it is my luck (I seem to be getting a lot of defective stuff lately), but the one I got last week refused to post with a 8800GT in the x16 slot (tried with an evga and an asus 8800gt). It would post and install Windows with the 8800GT in the x4 slot, or a 8600GTS in the x16 slot. After a little research online, I discovered that I was not the first one to see this problem and returned it for a refund. I'm now trying to decide whether to get an X38 based board (which shouldn't have any problems with the 8800GT as everything would be PCIe 2.0) or another P35 board and hope for the best.

Back