anyone have a rock it delid tool or similar I can rent ?

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the 3d printed delid tool and it works fine, but I want to use the rock it tool or something that will help with the relid on my next project. Last project suffered from improper lid seating and want to use the proper tool this time.

I have the 3d printed delid tool and it works fine, but I want to use the rock it tool or something that will help with the relid on my next project. Last project suffered from improper lid seating and want to use the proper tool this time.

Would it not be better to send it in for a delid by Silicone Lottery or someone?

I have one and used it do de-lid and re-lid a 7700K. It worked great and I had no issues using it whatsoever. I even lapped the lid (the cooler mounting side) while I had it off. I was able to hit 5GHz (water cooled) with lower voltage than most and the system runs 24/7.

I like to do things myself. Seen in past posts people offered to send someone their tool as long as they got it back and paid shipping etc... I'd help chip in some $ toward the tool as well. Was just seeing if it was an option. If not, I'll buy one. Or I'd buy someone's used one. Figured this would start any potential conversation :)
Thx

yeah that one or something similar...but some said it don't quite fit in there righttt on some of them....makes me think the same thing is gonna happen you're gonna chip the top and it will be useless.

It's actually quite a bitch to get off....id just leave it alone after already tearing one up....should be able to do it just fine without the delid on assuming most of them.

you're mobo too...the strix could of ran it a little lower and it was stable....but it's dead...this one it's like 1.4v pretty much.

Last edited:
deliding isn't the issue for me. Did several already. Problem I have most is getting a good lid mount. That is the issue and why I want a proper tool this time instead of trying the various methods to mount lid with clamps etc....

deliding isn't the issue for me. Did several already. Problem I have most is getting a good lid mount. That is the issue and why I want a proper tool this time instead of trying the various methods to mount lid with clamps etc....

That's how I was gonna do it, was clamp it back on with just whatever a bead of silicone around till it dried...kinda want try again and get the tool.

But like mentioned 80-85c every now and then is not really a big deal.

Last edited:
my attempts were better than stock tim, but not what they could have been if I had a proper tool. I agree with Kyle in his/HardOCP article about delidding etc... about getting the right/correct relid is paramount. Why I'll try to get the proper tool this time. Just trying to save some $$ :)

my attempts were better than stock tim, but not what they could have been if I had a proper tool. I agree with Kyle in his/HardOCP article about delidding etc... about getting the right/correct relid is paramount. Why I'll try to get the proper tool this time. Just trying to save some $$ :)

Could try the vice again....but don't really want to....

I looked around for a while, but I ended up just sending mine out to SL to delid/relid. But if you're looking to upgrade a lot, might be worth just buying one.

I looked around for a while, but I ended up just sending mine out to SL to delid/relid. But if you're looking to upgrade a lot, might be worth just buying one.

Not really worried about it....5ghz is already pretty epeen. everything older ran just about as hot as hell and some of it ran for years....

Dullard sent me his Rock it to use. WOW!!! Worth it for the re mounting alone. Applied CLU last night and waiting for the permatex to dry. will try out tonight :)

well the temp drops are REAL. Before delid I couldn't run AVX at 4.8ghz w/out breaking 80C++++. That was either Prime 95 or OCCT. Now MAX is 65C and usually in high 50's or low 60's.

Sadly, max oc doesn't seem to have improved. I can run non avx at 5ghz and avx at 4.8ghz. Was hoping to clear 5.1-5.2ghz. I can however run 4.8ghz at 1.315v in bios and that's now what I'm running. 5.0ghz needs 1.3675v and I don't really see the gains in my apps to justify the vcore offset. Happy with the temps. Now I want a 8700k :)

well the temp drops are REAL. Before delid I couldn't run AVX at 4.8ghz w/out breaking 80C++++. That was either Prime 95 or OCCT. Now MAX is 65C and usually in high 50's or low 60's.

Sadly, max oc doesn't seem to have improved. I can run non avx at 5ghz and avx at 4.8ghz. Was hoping to clear 5.1-5.2ghz. I can however run 4.8ghz at 1.315v in bios and that's now what I'm running. 5.0ghz needs 1.3675v and I don't really see the gains in my apps to justify the vcore offset. Happy with the temps. Now I want a 8700k :)
I need to get one.

AVX gets 85c on mine too

Are you running fixed or adaptive vcore?

I gotta say., Super thx to Dullard who loaned this to me. I tried delid w/out a proper relid and I didnt' do a good job. This kit makes it fool proof almost. I applied a super thin coat of CLU(worried it was too thin) and temps are just insanely better. JAW DROPPING the difference. AVX killed me before. Non AVX wasn't horrible but on OCCT linpack non avx or other stressors that didn't hit avx I'd still see mid 70's or more some times. Now AVX is low 60s at most lol. Crazy.

What lengths people have to go to, in order to avoid thermal nuclear fission, I remember the days when you could use a stock fan and it would be sufficient for all standard operations.

I have the rockit kit, works really good. Well worth the money. I use the grizzly liquid metal and some black RTV in a super thin layer to relid, dropped 25C on the last two 4770k I did.

What lengths people have to go to, in order to avoid thermal nuclear fission, I remember the days when you could use a stock fan and it would be sufficient for all standard operations.

I imagine you could run a fan on a 7700K for all standard operations if you weren't shooting for a large OC. As for the lengths, I was amazed at how simple the operation was. After doing my first one I'm confident I could do one in about 15 minutes and 10 of those minutes would be peeling the old glue off. After all, we are [H] , right? There's probably a website out there for Stock Clocks Only R Us, never looked for it.

Well good news. I was able to tweak it up to 4.9ghz via bclk adjustment and get ram to 3266mhz at 1.325v set in bios. I think this is about max it's going to be avx stable. Temps are great though, think I'm just hitting edge of what silicon will do at this voltage. Cranking volts on this cpu doesn't seem to help much. Seems to need 1.3875v to maybe even go higher and to me not worth the voltage bump vs limited gains. Max temp for Prime 95 latest build or OCCT is 65-67C. That is spike temp with averages in the mid/high 50's C. Crazy as I would have OCCT abort due to overtemp and Prime 95 was ok at 4.8ghz but it would flirt with the 85-90C range on spikes and be well into the 70's sustained.

BTW this is using an Artic Liquid 240 AIO cooler. It's decent and all, but nothing that spectacular. I can't complain at the end of the day.

Back