Anyone have a HDR FALD display and if so, how do games look on it?

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been eying a new monitor off and on and one of the considerations is if I'd want to go for an HDR monitor or not. The pro for an HDR monitor is, well, HDR of course. The cons is there aren't very many of them, they are expensive, and in general I'm not as big a fan of VA as IPS.

So what I'm wondering for anyone who does have one is how do they actually perform in HDR games? Does Windows + the monitor do a good job, or is it kinda "meh"? Also is it ok for things like uniformity for SDR games and desktop work?

I have an Acer Predator X27 and the image quality is excellent in both SDR and HDR games. The blooming can get pretty bad in dark scenes in HDR though. Screen uniformity is solid but on certain backgrounds banding from the FALD grid can be noticeable but it doesn't bother me much. For HDR content FALD LCD and OLED displays are the best. Regular backlit LCDs aren't quite there.

How good a job do games actually do with HDR these days? Is it noticeably better (as it is with well shot movies) or is it just a gimmick mostly?

How good a job do games actually do with HDR these days? Is it noticeably better (as it is with well shot movies) or is it just a gimmick mostly?
It varies between games but overall I've been impressed with HDR gaming since I started it. I've been playing Doom Eternal like crazy since it launched and it looks really good in HDR. Forza Horizon 4 is another good one. Games usually have different sliders to let you calibrate the look of HDR to suit your preferences and specific screen.

It depends on the game. Out of the ones I have played:
  • Red Dead Redemption 2. It looks washed out on anything that isn't an OLED or FALD display.
  • Hitman 2. Significantly better in HDR.
  • Doom Eternal. Better in HDR.
  • Resident Evil 2/3. Something off about this one on non-OLED screens in HDR. Don't know how it behaves on other HDR LCD displays than my edge lit Samsung CRG9 and KS8000 but on those it gets washed out color while on LG OLED this does not happen.
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Better in HDR.
  • Forza Horizon 4. Better in HDR.
  • Sekiro. Not that massive difference.
Best case scenarios is that the game does not care how you have HDR set in Windows Display Settings so it can be toggled on/off as you please. At least RDR2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and RE games just plain disable or remove the option if it is not enabled from Windows Display Settings. Windows desperately needs "only use HDR when requested" option so the desktop can work without being washed out on non-OLED displays. On OLED there isn't much of a difference other than less accurate sRGB color in HDR mode.

The newer AssCreed games look stunning w/ proper HDR as well.

I also have a launch X27 and have not regretted the purchase. Having HDR1000 at 120hz w/ hardware g-sync is outstanding. I wouldn't want to use anything else at this time.

Yes, it's still not perfect, but there isn't anything else out there.

I ended up deciding to get an Alienware AW3821DW. The FALD monitors interest me, but there are too many gotchas that keep me from being willing to pull the trigger right now, so I went with this one instead. No FALD, but a very pretty display. It's HDR is ok. Not amazing, but not unusable which is what I though it would probably be.

Back