Anyone have a good tutorial for installing a triple boot system with existing installations?

samm

[H]ard|Gawd
Have 2 drives.

HDD1: Has the core applications W7 install
HDD2 2TB Drive with 1TB parition, 100GB partition and 900GB of unallocated space

1TB Parition of HDD2: Has all the other non core applications and user data
100GB parition of HDD2: Ubunutu with the GRUB2 on the HDD1
Unallocated Space: Desired area for XP install.

How do I install XP without wrecking my system, a link to tutorial would be easy.

Your Win7 machine? Home or Pro or Ultimate?

If you need XP (are on Pro/Ultimate), why not simply install XP Mode?

If you use the bios boot menu as a boot manager then it is fairly easy to do. You just disconnect all HDDs except the one you want to install OS to and then reconnect them after OS is installed. Press F8 (or whatever your bios uses) and select HDD with OS you want to boot to. But I think Windows has to be on the first partition, unlike Linux. I think you need to install XP first and then Ubuntu on a different partition after. Double check though, I could be wrong. So, leave Win7 alone and disconnect that HDD, install XP to second HDD, install Ubuntu to second partition. Reconnect Win7 HDD, use bios boot menu.

Your Win7 machine? Home or Pro or Ultimate?

If you need XP (are on Pro/Ultimate), why not simply install XP Mode?

Windows XP mode would not work for the desired workload.

If you use the bios boot menu as a boot manager then it is fairly easy to do. You just disconnect all HDDs except the one you want to install OS to and then reconnect them after OS is installed. Press F8 (or whatever your bios uses) and select HDD with OS you want to boot to. But I think Windows has to be on the first partition, unlike Linux. I think you need to install XP first and then Ubuntu on a different partition after. Double check though, I could be wrong. So, leave Win7 alone and disconnect that HDD, install XP to second HDD, install Ubuntu to second partition. Reconnect Win7 HDD, use bios boot menu.

Already have the 1st two on my system, just want to install XP on remaining allocated space

According to this you can install XP to the empty partition on the second HDD but it will label that partition as C: and it will overwrite the mbr too so you will lose the grub boot loader for Ubuntu. But you need the boot loader to list both XP and Ubuntu anyway. You can backup the mbr before installing XP and then restore it and then edit it to list XP but you will have to research how to do that properly. You can backup and restore the mbr with bootice but I don't know how to edit the grub loader to add a load XP option but others do though so just research it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-drive-c/5bf22c97-061b-4ce7-bb1b-119e4f7173d6

Download BOOTICE 64-Bit - MajorGeeks

Here it says you can add Ubuntu to the Windows boot loader so do the other stuff I said about disconnecting first HDD and then install XP to empty partition and follow this guide to edit the Windows boot loader to also load Ubuntu in the boot menu.

Ubuntu

Back