Anyone have a contact for Micron Technology???

K-TRON

Limp Gawd
Would anyone happen to know any contacts for Micron Technologies?

I purchased some memory a few years ago from Micron Technologies.
I do not recall where the memory was bought.
I recently purchased a TYAN Thunder N6650W / S2915 motherboard.
I installed the memory and the memory is either corrupt or not fully compatible with the system I have. I receive error codes and sporadic crashes when it is installed

I have called Micron two times
The first time they referred me to there distributor in upstate New York.
I sent my eight matching memory cards to Electra Sales, there distributor.
A few weeks later I received my memory back with a note saying that they could not help me, and I should contact Micron.
I called Micron back up, and they referred me to Crucial after spending an hour with them on the phone.
Low and behold, Crucial was unable to help me.
I contacted Kingston today, and they were also unable to help

The memory cards are:
MT18HHTF25672PY-667E1 200824 CBND0MN001
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz, CL5, ECC, REG

I have 8 of these cards (8 x 2GB) for 16gb total

I am currently running two Kingston memory cards in my system model - KVR800D2D8P6K2/4G and they work fine, so I am sure the memory from Micron is not compatible or corrupt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

That is easy for you to say, that memory costs about $500 or so in the market today. I would like it repaired.
I made a "My Micron" account last night. I just find there website so difficult to use. They say to sign up to get all of these extra search options, and guess what there is no difference. I am getting so pissed off with them.
I have contacted every memory manufacturer, newegg, tomshardware, anandtech and so far nobody has stepped up to the plate to help.
It looks like another call to Micron is due today after class. :(

K-TRON

Buy, new memory. Yours is out of warrenty.
Not likely, considering most memory companies offer Lifetime Warranties. Be a good reason to steer clear of Micron/Corsair/Lexar, but this doesn't sound like the usual treatment I've heard of these companies providing customers.

That is easy for you to say, that memory costs about $500 or so in the market today. I would like it repaired.
I made a "My Micron" account last night. I just find there website so difficult to use. They say to sign up to get all of these extra search options, and guess what there is no difference. I am getting so pissed off with them.
I have contacted every memory manufacturer, newegg, tomshardware, anandtech and so far nobody has stepped up to the plate to help.
It looks like another call to Micron is due today after class. :(

K-TRON
You've been fairly vague on what they told you based on the amount of time you've spent discussing. Shouldn't take an hour to get referred to one of their subsidiaries...

Why call Kingston, I don't think they are any way affiliated with Micron... :confused:

Why did you call newegg, tomshardware, and anandtech memory manufacturers? One is a retailer, the other two are review sites. What help could they possibly provide?

I'm calling shens.

Agree with Menelmarar. It appears that you have not taken the appropriate steps.

I have contacted all of these people/companies because all I need is a contact to someone at micron who can help me.
I would think that every place I have contacted would have had some connection with Micron at some point in time.
I just dont know how to proceed. I am having absolutely no luck.

If you know what the "appropriate steps" are, please let me know

and to follow up on your questions.
All of the times I have contacted Micron or there affiliates they ask me where I purchased the memory. Since I do not know, they tell me that they cannot help me out.
I dont know why it is so hard to get an RMA through them.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Micron = Crucial & Crucial = Micron. They are one & the same. I'm sorry I don't have a contact but your calls should start & end with those 2 companies.

Did your memory come with a lifetime warrany? Have you tried an online rma?

Were the modules made by Micron, or do they merely contain Micron chips? For example, I have some PC133 ECC modules made with Micron chips but by another company with a BrainPower circuit board. But even if they were Micron modules, were they retail modules? Because I believe they're the only ones warranted for life.

I'd ask Micron's retail arm, Crucial, about the serial numbers on the modules. And if you can find the receipt and you charged the purchase by credit card, do a written billing error or good-faith stop payment chargeback, mailed to the special address for billing problems (no e-mail, no letter to the card issuer's president). If your card issuer insists on a "professional" test, tell them that nobody does them, and every shop uses illegal copies of MemTest86 or MemTest+

Maybe changing the SPD parameters of each DIMM, with something like SPDtool, will make the memory work reliably.

Shouldn't you be able to see the payment in your checking or credit card accounts?

I would take a look at that first. If you can find it, you just need to the place and tell them you need a receipt for a transaction you made earlier. I've done this at Best Buy before. You might be able to call them and have them send you the receipt, but I'm not sure about that.

GL

I have tried an online RMA, they dont seem to have anything other than a distributor locator. I have already tried those listed for New York and New Jersey, and no luck.
I dont have a credit card, so they would have been purchased by money order sometime ago.

This SPD tool sounds interesting. I know my motherboard has the ability to change memory speed to pc4200, pc5300 and pc6400 settings, and neither of them will get my system through the BIOS.

I am being serious with you guys, this hasnt been easy. They are not helpful. The memory is made by Micron, as are the memory chips. The sticker says Micron. I asked they to run the numbers, and they said that none of them are serial numbers. After that they said that they cannot be RMA'ed if they are not coming from a trusted Micron distribution center.
I think its a line of crap, which is why I keep persisting. It is just so annoying.

I am going to be sending my memory cards to sabregen, he is going to test them for me. Hopefully after that, he will be able to tell me if any of them are good. Which ever are good will be sold on ebay. The bad ones will be thrown out if I cant get these Micron people to be of any help.

Thank you "StillFunkyB"
I will read through it and see what will happen

Here sre some pictures:

Chris

They look like OEM Micron dimms (missing Crucial logo on the right). They may not carry a warranty.

I'm a little confused how someone can by 8 sticks of ECC Reg'd memory for multiple thousands of dollars at time of purchase and not know/remember where they bought it from. Also, paying with a money order sounds pretty shady for that sort of transaction.

I got off the phone with Micron RMA, she said that the only way to get Micron memory outside of am OEM license is to have bought them from a company which sells memory removed from HP/Dell servers and the like.
Sounds like I got big time screwed.

She did give me Crucial's contact, so I will call them again. But thats the last straw before I send them to someone who can test the modules for me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Micron representatives state that consumers cannot RMA products. Only those who have OEM license can RMA there product directly, as all consumer sales are supposed to go through Crucial.

ANyone have an OEM license to buy/sell micron ram?

I assume they are talking about IBM, Dell, Gateway, HP... They may even have a record by serial number which one of these bought the dimms for a system. I am going to say that if this is the case you are totally out of luck.

My question for you is do these dimms work if you just use 1 pair of them in the system alone? Or a just a single dimm?

Use a memory test application. And consult your bios manual for the section on ECC and MCE (machine check exception) logging.

John

I tried them in my Tyan motherboard, and when it occassionally gets into the BIOS it fails to boot after I save and exit. I have tried putting my Kingston memory cards in, disabling ecc shutting down, than installing the micron memory. Nothing seems to get them to work.

I have them boxed up and they are going to be sent to a friend. He should be able to tell me which ones work. If all are dead they will be trashed. If any work I am going to ebay them.
Than use the funds to get some more kingston memory.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Is there any reason you set the modules down directly on the wooden table instead of on an anti-static surface? Isn't that kind of risky?

I do not think that is risky at all. I have played frisbee with memory and it still works afterwards.

I received results back on the memory test.
Josh (sabregen) tested all 8 memory cards for me. All worked flawlessly for a 2hr memory test.
I am so happy they are not dead. I am going to ebay them and get the proper kingston memory which is compatible with my motherboard.
I am surprised, cause I needed to solder a jumper and a memory chip back onto one of the cards.

Umm...I call BS.

Umm, that is true.
I sent the memory to Josh (Sabregen). I told him about the card which I fixed, and he tested it anyways.
All 8 memory cards ended up being completely fine. He tested them on his supermicro system, and ran memtest on the cards. Surprisingly no errors were found on any of the eight cards. So I put them up on ebay.
Nobody has bitten yet

Chris

Back