Anyone have a Big Navi working as an eGPU? My 6900 XT refuses to work.

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone have a 6800 or 6900 Big Navi card running as expected when used as a eGPU? My 6900 XT is being problematic for me at least (going to be used in a soon to be desktop build).

When I first install the latest AMD drivers the card is setup and I can play games plus output to an external display. However when I restart the laptop the 6900 XT is not recognized by the system. Not in device manager and the AMD drivers report no AMD GPU is found. Putting my ancient HD 7850 and following the same steps even with restarting still shows the 7850 as being setup.

Checking the AMD XConnect site I see the none of the Big Navi cards are listed yet, so now I am wondering if there isn't official support for these cards as eGPUs yet. Guess I should of waited longer?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/xconnect

Laptop: Razer Blade Base 2019

Windows: Windows 10 Build 19042

Enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma

GPU: AMD 6900 XT

UPDATE:

I jumped in on the Windows Insider program and the build 20279 is allowing me far better functionality. The 6900 XT now operates as wanted with one caveat, when rebooting the laptop I need to unplug the TB3 connection once I am logged in and plug it back in for the GPU dock to get synced up. Slightly different operating model than what I am used to, but is is workable at least.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's a PCIe 3.0 vs. PCIe 4.0 issue? Maybe a firmware update for the dock?

After all my tweaks it is working within expectations now. Just need to put the card through the ringer now with gameplay.

Back