Anyone have a Asus p8p67 and a Scythe Mugen 2?

MJGunn

Weaksauce
If so, how's the clearance for ram? I've been reading some people say it's fine, others say it blocks one or more slots on this board.

If you have memory with high heatsink, forget it. Memory with low heatsink should be okay.

Well that's a problem, the one thing I apparently didn't consider when I bought all my parts was the fact that my ram (g.skill ripjaw x) and cpu cooler would not play well together. Anyone tried mounting the fan on the other side of the mugen pulling air off and out the back of the case?

I have not tried it but I think that would work to a degree...maybe just not as efficient.

I'm using a Scythe Mugen with G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4 gb RAM. With two sticks of RAM with head spreaders, you should be okay. The only thing is that if you position the fan to "push" air toward the back, it'll be sitting on top of one of the memory sticks. Mine is like that, and everything works fine.

Not sure about 4 sticks of RAM though.

Do I continue seeing problems with this board (P8P67) because it's a problematic board or because everyone buys Asus? I'm thinking other boards have issues to but the ASUS P8P67 keeps popping up because Asus is the "go to" board for so many pc enthusiasts? I don't know.

Well I wouldn't call this an asus problem, the scythe mugen is massive and I don't think there's any board that really plays well with it & ram with large heatsinks.

qtbyre, when you say you have 2 sticks running you mean in the first and 3rd slots right? If so that'd be perfect for me, I'll have 2x4gb sticks in there and I don't think I'll be needing more than 8gb anytime soon.

I don't have my case open right now, but I'm very sure that the RAM are in the 2nd and 4th slots (as recommended by Asus). Again, everything runs fine as long as you're okay with the fan sitting on top of the heat spreader. I think you'll be fine
:)

Well I wouldn't call this an asus problem, the scythe mugen is massive and I don't think there's any board that really plays well with it & ram with large heatsinks.

qtbyre, when you say you have 2 sticks running you mean in the first and 3rd slots right? If so that'd be perfect for me, I'll have 2x4gb sticks in there and I don't think I'll be needing more than 8gb anytime soon.

Awesome, ty for the help qt, makes me feel a lot better, was worried I was going to have a problem.

Back