anyone have a 8800 ultra?

If I had the money for an 8800 ultra I would get some hot hookers.

Why?

Seriously, whatever may be deemed as a waste for you doesn't give you the right to tell someone else how to spend THEIR cash; unless they pay you to or ask you to. It's their biz.

You keep making offerings, and I'll keep feeding the gophers/whistlepigs/groundhogs on my land. Seriously. There's 4 or more. They have their own garden and pond. :D

We are voicing our opinions about the 8800 Ultra, there is nothing wrong with that. No one has to listen to those opinions if they don't want to. Get over it.

This debate is so ridiculous I can't get my mind around it. There are people in here saying how stupid it would be to buy an 8800Ultra over an 8800GTX, while in their sigs they own computers that have no software that can make the most out of the hardware.

You are incorrect. There are plenty of games that bring a higher end rig to it's knees at high resolution. STALKER, Oblivion to name two and what will the future hold? Certainly Crysis and others may very well demand more out of our machines than they are capable of today. So your statement is unfounded.

Anyone that has a DX10 card in their signature today, has absolutely no legitimate right to say how ridiculous it is to buy an 8800Ultra. Most high end DX9 cards can play most games on most monitors while still looking stunning and running at decent or great framerates. Why do people have 8800 cards when DX10 has yet to be seen in a video game? Because they want the bragging rights or think that having 8xAA instead of 4xAA will make their gaming experience that much better. I am no exception.

Again I have to disagree with the above statement. We have every right to voice an opinion about a video card based on what we know about it. A $200 price hike for a 10% performance increase is retarded. The 8800 Ultra offers nothing to justify it's cost in the eyes of many enthusiasts. Again this is an opinion and you don't have to like it or agree with it. Many people seem to forget that the G80 cards offer the best Direct X 9 performance NOW and are the only Direct X 10 cards on the market right now. So just because there are no DX10 games today doesn't mean that the G80 cards aren't "needed" today. I certainly feel that resolutions of 2560x1600 certainly need the power TODAY and will certainly need more than even the 8800Ultra can deliver in tomorrows games. For some 8x AA instead of 4x AA is something worth spending extra money on. You don't have to agree, but that's the way it is.

So why bash anyone who would want the top of the line product because there is no real benefit, when thousands of people have 8-series cards that really don't need them? Its the nature of enthusiasts, they want the best and don't care how much it costs.

Again I disagree. While not everyone "needs" them, there are those who feel they do.

I am sure you think that is ridiculous, and I am sure most people think that spending 300+ dollars on a video card that isn't even necessary is also a waste of money.

Sure there are, and they are entitiled to their opinions as well.

The same people that always have to have "the best of the best" will buy them. I know a doctor that was trying to find a good video card for his shiny new dell 30" lcd. In the span of about 2 weeks, he bought a 1950xtx (agp and pci-e version), 8800 gts 640, Fire GL 5200, 7100, 7200, and 7350. If people have money to blow, and want to buy "the best of the best" they will.

I finally built him a rig to house the 7350, and I'm sure when r600 finally decides to drop, I'll be able to talk him into a pair of those for his new rig.

Yep, there are those with money to burn on such things and some of us will pay top dollar for the best. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Dethred,

> Anyone that has a DX10 card in their signature today, has absolutely no legitimate right to say how ridiculous it is to buy an 8800Ultra.
Wrong! An 8800GTS 320 for $270 is a great value for the performance. Or how about the $90 8500GT that decodes HD video with no CPU usage?

> Why do people have 8800 cards when DX10 has yet to be seen in a video game?
DX10 has nothing to do with it; have you seen benchmarks? My 30" supports high resolutions, and I could either buy a slow video card and run with crappy graphics, or buy an 8800 and run the latest games in amazingly high resolution and detail. I'd be foolish to skimp on my new computer's video card. As for the 8800Ultra, paying hundreds more for negligible performance is a waste of money.

this reminds me of a couple ppl that bought the 6800 ultra 512mb card then a few weeks later the 7800gtx dropped. all i gotta say is HAHA. high end cards are just not for me.

You are incorrect. There are plenty of games that bring a higher end rig to it's knees at high resolution. STALKER, Oblivion to name two and what will the future hold? Certainly Crysis and others may very well demand more out of our machines than they are capable of today. So your statement is unfounded.

My 7950GT handled both of those games just fine at 1680x1050. Just because DX9 cards don't get 100fps doesn't mean they aren't up to the task. SLI 8800GTX's are even more useless. You say that it is a waste to spend an extra 200 bucks for an ultra, but in buying an SLi setup you're going for even more overkill. You're looking at it from the same point of view as myself. I personally wouldn't buy anything above a mid-range card, because anything above that is just bragging about how much AA and AF is applied to the image.

Again I have to disagree with the above statement. We have every right to voice an opinion about a video card based on what we know about it. A $200 price hike for a 10% performance increase is retarded. The 8800 Ultra offers nothing to justify it's cost in the eyes of many enthusiasts. Again this is an opinion and you don't have to like it or agree with it. Many people seem to forget that the G80 cards offer the best Direct X 9 performance NOW and are the only Direct X 10 cards on the market right now. So just because there are no DX10 games today doesn't mean that the G80 cards aren't "needed" today. I certainly feel that resolutions of 2560x1600 certainly need the power TODAY and will certainly need more than even the 8800Ultra can deliver in tomorrows games. For some 8x AA instead of 4x AA is something worth spending extra money on. You don't have to agree, but that's the way it is.

You're exactly right about people spending the extra money on getting a little more performance. I believe you stated last page that it would be a waste to get 8800Ultras in SLi for a measly 10% gain, but what is the point of having 8800GTX SLi with no DX10 games coming out? So you can play at 2560x1600 instead of 1900x1200 for the small cost of $600?

Again I disagree. While not everyone "needs" them, there are those who feel they do.

And this is exactly my point. You, and several others in this thread, feel that the 8800Ultra is useless, whilst having overkill setups that don't even break a sweat in any current games. Its like the pot calling the kettle black.

AS long as there is technology, there will always be those who "spend too much money" on the latest technology. Are they wasteful? Are they doing it to show off? Do they have a real reason?

You probably won't get an answer, but there is always someone that doesn't spend as much as you on technology, who asks the same questions about you...

Since when is it a crime to give an opinion on [H]?

I've never seen so many sensitive people come out of the woodwork in the video card forum.

this is a hobby. if you love the hobby, you will find the means and needed convincing that it is justified. there are those among the [H] that are just a step above.

its like the people that drink decaffeinated coffee. everyone else asks why? they are the true lovers of coffee, they do it only for the taste.

the ones that will buy the 8800ultra, will do it for the love of the hobby.

i won't be. not from a lack of cash, but a lack of love of the game.

My 7950GT handled both of those games just fine at 1680x1050. Just because DX9 cards don't get 100fps doesn't mean they aren't up to the task. SLI 8800GTX's are even more useless. You say that it is a waste to spend an extra 200 bucks for an ultra, but in buying an SLi setup you're going for even more overkill. You're looking at it from the same point of view as myself. I personally wouldn't buy anything above a mid-range card, because anything above that is just bragging about how much AA and AF is applied to the image.

Yes, 1680x1050 is one thing, 2560x1600 is another thing entirely. You may think it's bragging rights, and to some degree I suppose it is, but for a 30" monitor, a single 8800GTX is the minimum I'd go with today. SLI just gives me more breathing room and additional eye candy. No one said there was anything wrong with mid range cards. If you don't want higher end G80 cards, that's your business.

You're exactly right about people spending the extra money on getting a little more performance. I believe you stated last page that it would be a waste to get 8800Ultras in SLi for a measly 10% gain, but what is the point of having 8800GTX SLi with no DX10 games coming out? So you can play at 2560x1600 instead of 1900x1200 for the small cost of $600?

Yep. I think a 10% increase isn't worth the $830 per card I'd have to shell out to buy a single Ultra card. If you have no video card or you have an older video card, then it's a little different. I'd be more inclined to buy such a card in such circumstances. That still doesn't mean I'd call it a good idea. A $200 price premium isn't worth the 10% I'd pay over a standard 8800GTX. Not to mention as the [H] review has stated, there are plenty of factory overclocked cards that are clocked higher than the Ultra. Again, I see little point to spending the $830 for a card when it seems that there are better options available. This is my opinion. $600? Sure. $830? Not for me. If the Ultra offered 30% more power than one of my cards, you bet your ass I'd have a pair of them in my box in short order whether I needed them or not.

And this is exactly my point. You, and several others in this thread, feel that the 8800Ultra is useless, whilst having overkill setups that don't even break a sweat in any current games. Its like the pot calling the kettle black.

Um, setups like mine aren't as uber powerful as you seem to think they are. At 2560x1600, some titles still struggle. Now this may be due to poor driver optimization or poorly coded games, but the fact remains that I don't get 60FPS all the time in every game out there today. STALKER, and Oblivion are two such games that I do play.

AS long as there is technology, there will always be those who "spend too much money" on the latest technology. Are they wasteful? Are they doing it to show off? Do they have a real reason?

You'd have to take that on a case by case basis. Sometimes it is wasteful, but if you have the cash and want to do that so be it. What's twisting me so badly here is the fact that so many people are bitching about voiced opinions here. Sure I buy the latest and greatest for the most part, but occasionally I evaluate a purchase decision and decide not to buy that Extreme Edition CPU, or refreshed video card because it offers me very little. I can draw the line for myself wherever I choose.

You probably won't get an answer, but there is always someone that doesn't spend as much as you on technology, who asks the same questions about you...

No doubt.

Everyone is missing the whole point of video cards, who does not want to play 3dmark and post your scores?????

Well I can afford to buy a pair of them in SLI, but it would be a waste of money. The difference between the 8800GTX and the 8800Ultra is so small it just isn't worth it. I spent $650.00 per card on the 8800GTX's and I won't spend $1600 for a pair of cards that are only %10 faster on thier best day.

A grand isn't a huge deal to me at this point in time, but wasting money is never a good idea no matter how much money you have.

Would you buy my laptop? :(

They imply that he works for eVGA - where did you get Nvidia from?
As fa as I'm aware, Jakup doesn't work for any NVIDIA-related company.

This will be interesting how many people buy an Ultra.
Probably very few, but I think that may be the intention. I'd say that 95% of true enthusiasts (people like us) have no intention to even consider buying one, let alone two.

I agree the ultra is sky high, but they always are at the beginning. The price is expected to come down to the 699 area over the next month or so.

How many of us saying "my god that's too expensive" own or wish we owned SLI systems? People have been spending 700-1200 on SLI cards for a couple years now. It kind of puts things in perspective I think. (somewhat anyway, 800+ is still ungodly)

I guess just relax because it doesn't matter if its a $2500 monitor, $1500 of dual quad core cpu's or whathaveyou, there are enthusiasts in many areas that will, and continue to spend when they want to spend.

And in this case, don't expect that after May 14th this price level is going to last. And if it does I'm sure there will be something nice in ATI/AMD's stable that will keep us more comfy for less $$.

:)

yeah the price is high, but image that some folks bought the 7900 ultra (or whatever card that was) for over $1000, haha, that was a ripoff

If they put a gun to your head would you spend 920 for two GTX's + 60 Mail in Rebate or would you pay 830 for one Ultra ? the Ultra seems pretty stupid if you ask me . 830 !!!! is insane.

its like the people that drink decaffeinated coffee. everyone else asks why? they are the true lovers of coffee, they do it only for the taste.

Have to disagree here. Any true coffee afficionado knows decaffeinated coffee has been degraded in the process. You greatly affect the flavor profile when doing so.

People drink it for the taste, but it doesn't mean they are coffee lovers.

If they put a gun to your head would you spend 920 for two GTX's + 60 Mail in Rebate or would you pay 830 for one Ultra ? the Ultra seems pretty stupid if you ask me . 830 !!!! is insane.

If I had a shitload of money why not? I already don't give a damn what anyone on the internet thinks and so I was filthy rich I'd care even less :p

We are voicing our opinions about the 8800 Ultra, there is nothing wrong with that. No one has to listen to those opinions if they don't want to. Get over it.

Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, it's been a hell'ova weekend and already turning into a busy week. I figured I'd stop in to check my PM's before the week weigh's me down and I stumble on this thread back on top of the stack. At any rate, here goes...

Dan, I read the [H] article and read the forums on the Ultras, and for the most part I agree w/ the price-to-performance (or lack thereof). Still, I can’t manage to understand how that entitles anyone to prematurely flame the ppl who plan to purchase said product; unless they asked for it or paid for it.

So, what you're saying to me is, ' what’s good for the goose is not good for the gander', I take it? I didn’t expect you to make a hypocritical statement like that, but I suppose we all have our moments. And why must my opinion be ‘gotten over’?

Here, let’s try it like this.. You buy a ‘vette, good car, does what it’s meant to do. Gets you from point A to B in style and fast.. But wait a second, how fast? Well, anywhere from 0-60 in 4.0(roughly) seconds off the line.. Ah, but we’re comparing apples to oranges here, you say. Well, the debate is that of ‘price to performance’, so I suppose it could be argued all day that the ‘vette either gets smoked or does the smokin’ compared to other road warriors and, consequently, the money you dropped on that chevelle ;).. But, can I ask, where in America are you able to go above 100mph legally? Yet the ‘vette, and many-many others, does that and then some.. Wasted performance --and ‘greenbacks-- no matter how you look at it..

Or hell, say you like stamp collecting; you give in and plan on getting your money’s worth with those antiquated Presley’s 'cause Aunt Sally can’t figure out how to download the ‘internets’ with her email client? What to do? Well, be prepared for you treasured possession to not quite foot the bill for the postage prices these days, you’ll need 40+ of ‘em.. Ever heard of those crazy ppl who collect bottle caps? Think they're getting their money's worth? I digress..

See where I’m going with this? This is the [H] right? Enthusiast, last I read, not just the budget-minded who only yearn to squeeze every drop out of ever cent; though the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

You see, I don’t mind hearing all the ‘haters’ drab all over each other and their coveted neighbors. That doesn’t bother me at’all. It’s a day to day affair no matter who or where you are. But, I do get a bit churned when I’m told my position (read: opinion) of ‘your’ opinion no longer qualifies mine as one..

Where’s Voltaire when you need ‘em?

What’s more, I chose to be an [H] reader, because I valued the opinions of the [H] writers—or did. And I decided to be an [h] forum member because I valued the opinion of a good number of the [H]’s members.. But, my judgment is still reserved, and does not mean I’ll always agree with either of the aforementioned groups..

So, I’m still left wondering a few things.. For instance: Is an opinion here only acceptable when it’s the majority who agree, or when the readership agrees with the authors?

even more sence if i move from an AGP 7800 GS to a 880 ULTRA :D not a waste of money IMO!

Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, it's been a hell'ova weekend and already turning into a busy week. I figured I'd stop in to check my PM's before the week weigh's me down and I stumble on this thread back on top of the stack. At any rate, here goes...

Dan, I read the [H] article and read the forums on the Ultras, and for the most part I agree w/ the price-to-performance (or lack thereof). Still, I can’t manage to understand how that entitles anyone to prematurely flame the ppl who plan to purchase said product; unless they asked for it or paid for it.

So, what you're saying to me is, ' what’s good for the goose is not good for the gander', I take it? I didn’t expect you to make a hypocritical statement like that, but I suppose we all have our moments. And why must my opinion be ‘gotten over’?

Here, let’s try it like this.. You buy a ‘vette, good car, does what it’s meant to do. Gets you from point A to B in style and fast.. But wait a second, how fast? Well, anywhere from 0-60 in 4.0(roughly) seconds off the line.. Ah, but we’re comparing apples to oranges here, you say. Well, the debate is that of ‘price to performance’, so I suppose it could be argued all day that the ‘vette either gets smoked or does the smokin’ compared to other road warriors and, consequently, the money you dropped on that chevelle ;).. But, can I ask, where in America are you able to go above 100mph legally? Yet the ‘vette, and many-many others, does that and then some.. Wasted performance --and ‘greenbacks-- no matter how you look at it..

Or hell, say you like stamp collecting; you give in and plan on getting your money’s worth with those antiquated Presley’s 'cause Aunt Sally can’t figure out how to download the ‘internets’ with her email client? What to do? Well, be prepared for you treasured possession to not quite foot the bill for the postage prices these days, you’ll need 40+ of ‘em.. Ever heard of those crazy ppl who collect bottle caps? Think they're getting their money's worth? I digress..

See where I’m going with this? This is the [H] right? Enthusiast, last I read, not just the budget-minded who only yearn to squeeze every drop out of ever cent; though the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

You see, I don’t mind hearing all the ‘haters’ drab all over each other and their coveted neighbors. That doesn’t bother me at’all. It’s a day to day affair no matter who or where you are. But, I do get a bit churned when I’m told my position (read: opinion) of ‘your’ opinion no longer qualifies mine as one..

Where’s Voltaire when you need ‘em?

What’s more, I chose to be an [H] reader, because I valued the opinions of the [H] writers—or did. And I decided to be an [h] forum member because I valued the opinion of a good number of the [H]’s members.. But, my judgment is still reserved, and does not mean I’ll always agree with either of the aforementioned groups..

So, I’m still left wondering a few things.. For instance: Is an opinion here only acceptable when it’s the majority who agree, or when the readership agrees with the authors?

Dude, I was getting pissed because people are bitching about the different opinions. I have an opinion about the card in question. People need to get over that and let it be. If you want to buy a 8800Ultra, go for it. I don't think it makes sense, but that's just me. Now, once those cards start selling below $650, that will be another story, I'll probably recommend them at that point.

I don't think I took a hipocritical stance on this. I think that I simply drew a line for myself about what I will purchase. I am far from budget concious about my purchases, but jeebus I think NVIDIA really crossed a line here. That's all I've been saying. I never flamed anyone for buying that card or for talking about buying it. I simply stated why I thought it was a bad idea and why I won't be buying an 8800Ultra or a pair of them myself.

Dude, I was getting pissed because people are bitching about the different opinions. I have an opinion about the card in question. .

You have an opinion about the card in question. You called it retarded to want it. They have an opinion about your opinion. Are they not entitled? They called your opinion retarded (ok not those exact words but some have similar sentiments). Anything wrong with an opinion of an opinion? Lol.

Anyways, it's left up for debate if that is being hypocritical. An opinion of someone's purchasing decision (retarded, I repeat that because it's a strong word). And an opinion of your opinion.

Regarding your comment about not flaming, well you didn't directly so I give you that. But if I came in here after I just bought an Ultra (I wouldn't, I share the same sentiment) I would think you just called me retarded.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031016278&postcount=42

You have an opinion about the card in question. You called it retarded to want it.
That doesn't exactly sound like something Dan would say.

In any case, buying an Ultra is retarded in a particular sense. You could call it fiscally retarded, because the dollar-per-frame ratio is poorer than it is for other products in the same class.

But, hey, if you want to buy it because you like the way the fan looks, or if you have fond memories of the "Ultra" moniker, that's hardly retarded. In that case it's a personal decision; neither particularly good nor particularly bad.

So, you say this:
[Dan] called it retarded to want it.
When he said this:
Dan_D said:
A $200 price hike for a 10% performance increase is retarded.
How badly do you have to shatter reality to make your point, exactly?

Find a quotation for me where Dan said that wanting the 8800 Ultra is retarded and you'll probably be able to redeem yourself to some degree. Otherwise? Yikes...

Find a quotation for me where Dan said that wanting the 8800 Ultra is retarded and you'll probably be able to redeem yourself to some degree. Otherwise? Yikes...

Ahem. Ok, let's try this out. Just a tiny bit of symbolic logic here. Bear with me.

If A = B. And B = C. Then A = C.

A = Wanting An 8800 Ultra.
B = $200 for 10% Gain
C= Retarded

(A) 8800 Ultra is an extra $200 for (B) 10% gain (over the baseline 8800GTX).
(B) He said, an extra $200 for 10% gain is (C) retarded.
Therefore, (A) Wanting an 8800 Ultra is retarded (C).

Now I might have stretched it by the "wanting" part, but if the extra $200 for a 10% gain is retarded, then what is it of the person who wants it?

Anyways I think we've taken this "retarded" thing too far (my gf would kill me hearing me say that shit her boss's son is handicap and she loves him to death). That's all on this subject :)

Who cares about the 8800Ultra.... When are we going to see an 8800GX2?!?

who ever buys one should be banned from the forum - LOL

factory overclocked 8800gtxs are cheaper and faster

who ever buys one should be banned from the forum - LOL

factory overclocked 8800gtxs are cheaper and faster
This sort of thing is getting really old (I know you're joking, but still....). I suppose you feel the same way about people who buy the high end memory, which only increases performance a tiny amount.

Now I might have stretched it by the "wanting" part, but if the extra $200 for a 10% gain is retarded, then what is it of the person who wants it?
Strange logic. It seems to me he was talking about the price/performance ratio being "retarded". You can't exactly jump the gap as you've done and then so imply that people that buy the thing are retarded (or that Dan actually said and/or implied that).

Yeah -- I think "strange logic" just about sums it up.

i just hope no one that bought a 8800utlra didn't already have a 8800 series or that would be pretty pointless, but people love to spend there money!

Back