Anyone have 100% of their installed games (on any platform) on PC Steam?

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
I do, but I'm guessing that's pretty rare. Obviously, console owners will have games on their consoles not on 'Steam'. And people who ?like swapping disks around? will probably have plenty of games not on Steam. :p Curious if anyone else has 100% of their installed games all through Steam?

Probably the ones with insane internet connections.

We're paying $20.00 for a 384kbps line over here.

With the exception of Blizzard games, pretty much yea :D

i wish i could get all my games on steam but no, probably around 3/4 are though.

Probably the ones with insane internet connections.

We're paying $20.00 for a 384kbps line over here.

Where is "over here"?

Wow 384kbps? I wouldn't settle for anything less than 15 MBps.

At the moment, yes, since I installed Win7 RC recently.

<3 the ease of restoring backed up Steam games.

I don't have all, but I have the majority of them through steam, even if not all were purchased through steam.

with the exception of the grid demo and battlefield heroes, yep, all the games installed right now are through steam.

Steam has come a long ways and I was thinking about using it more once I move to Win7. Currently, I only have the major Valve titles and World of Goo through steam, everything else is disk.

After I buy and download a game, I copy it to my steamapps backup folder, which so far has any game I've purchased. But no, I personally don't have a reason to have them all installed at once (I only play a few consistently)

I'd say about half the PC games I own are on Steam, but if we're only counting what's currently installed, then they're all on Steam.

Where is "over here"?

Philippines. I've been asking around and apparently, we have the most expensive internet in the world.

About that $20 for 384kbps. The ISP had it advertised as 1mbps but when i had trouble with the speed, i called them up and found out that it was actually on 'certain' areas and that majority actually has to settle for 512kbps. Worse, their policy is that 60% of promised bandwidth is within acceptable levels so the 300kbps i have been getting is actually within tolerances of that 512kbps. That's the same spiel they've been telling me everytime i called for the last 3 years.

Services like Steam are not acceptable in a lot of areas, particularly in ours.

Oh, and the really high packages go all the way to a mind blowing... 3mbps... which costs $60. Not that they actually get the full 3mbps (60% tolerance remember?)

Well, considering i havent played anything i havetn downloaded through steam in quite a long time, i guess id have to say yes.

Where is "over here"?

hehe

I've recently had 50mbit fibre installed that pulls speeds of ~45Mbit or slightly over 5MB/sec, I've actually considered leaving my whole steam list (75 full games) downloading to see how long it takes xD

5MB/sec is 300Mb a minute and 18Gb per hour so I reckon about 4-5 hours for the lot, assuming steam can provide that speed for that long :D

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to pay the same price for a download then I would for the package/cd at the store. Steam should give at least a $10 discount D:

I only buy PC games through retail if they're not available on Steam.

all but one PC game is on steam.... Red Alert 3, I was told that I could just install it with the CD key in Steam and always have it but that is not the case, I was horribly lied to.

All of mine are from Steam (that I currently play) with the exception of WoW.

There's no way in hell I could. I'm way too old and have been gaming long before Steam came about. The games I have been playing recently have been Steam games but I'm getting ready to reinstall some that I didn't get through Steam and you can't even get through Steam.

There are only a few games I do not have on Steam, mostly Blizzard games. Age of Empires 3 I only break out for LAN parties so I won't really count that. The only other game I am playing right now that isn't on Steam is BF:Heroes.

Philippines.

About that $20 for 384kbps. The ISP had it advertised as 1mbps but when i had trouble with the speed, i called them up and found out that it was actually on 'certain' areas and that majority actually has to settle for 512kbps. Worse, their policy is that 60% of promised bandwidth is within acceptable levels so the 300kbps i have been getting is actually within tolerances of that 512kbps. That's the same spiel they've been telling me everytime i called for the last 3 years.

Typical. 3rd worlds screwing their people over as long as those making the rules get paid it won't get any better. I'm jealous that parts of Europe have had HDTV for so long and most have a FIOS option for internet. You could get 100Mbs connections for your house. Damn nice.

I have over half my library with Steam.

I can't say that I have all my games through steam but if I have a choice between going on a one hour or more outing to go to the store and pick out a game or do the digital download in about the same period of time while playing another game, surfing the internet, etc. I'll choose Steam every time.

I also agree with comments in this thread about the easy backup for Steam. It is so much faster than having to re-install all kinds of individual games and cuts down on the CD clutter.

What if you went from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate 64bit...what you have to re-download everything or could you just back up your SteamApps folder and then copy everything back after re-installing Steam? I've been kinda wanting to go to Vista64....or I may wait to Win7 to come out...not sure.

What if you went from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate 64bit...what you have to re-download everything or could you just back up your SteamApps folder and then copy everything back after re-installing Steam? I've been kinda wanting to go to Vista64....or I may wait to Win7 to come out...not sure.

AFAIK, just copy off and replace the SteamApps folder, as you say. I imagine if there was a 64-bit version of a game, you'd miss out that way - but you'd still have the working 32-bit version.

AFAIK, just copy off and replace the SteamApps folder, as you say. I imagine if there was a 64-bit version of a game, you'd miss out that way - but you'd still have the working 32-bit version.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info :D

So if your purchased the retail version of some games, that are later released on steam, is there a way to use the steam version with the retail CD key? It was my understanding you could not unless the game was packaged for steam specifically.
As others have mentioned I go with the cheapest, in which many cases in the retail package, so that's the majority of my collection.

I know how easy it is to backup/copy/move steam games from computer to computer (I've done it a few times with CS:S and HL2), but what about the saved games? How do you transfer those to another computer?

Because with normal PC games, you have to hunt down the profile directory or saved games folder or whatnot and can be a pain. Especially if you're doing it to 6 games.

i have all my games on Steam except two, and it'll probably continue to be that way :D Love being able to download the game whenever and not having to care about losing a disc

Two Games Not on Steam:

Red Alert 3 - Got the Premier Edition for $10 at BestBuy

Fallout 3 - Scared Windows Live wouldn't work correctly with Steam for some reason, horrible decision :p

I also have DoW2 on disc, but thats only because i could activate and download it with Steam also, so the case was a bonus :)

I know how easy it is to backup/copy/move steam games from computer to computer (I've done it a few times with CS:S and HL2), but what about the saved games? How do you transfer those to another computer?

Because with normal PC games, you have to hunt down the profile directory or saved games folder or whatnot and can be a pain. Especially if you're doing it to 6 games.

I've been wondering this myself...

hehe

I've recently had 50mbit fibre installed that pulls speeds of ~45Mbit or slightly over 5MB/sec, I've actually considered leaving my whole steam list (75 full games) downloading to see how long it takes xD

5MB/sec is 300Mb a minute and 18Gb per hour so I reckon about 4-5 hours for the lot, assuming steam can provide that speed for that long :D

FiOS Frostex? If so I just got the same thing :D
I have about 1/2 my games on Steam but it's slowly climbing now that I have real internet.

I have 100% of Team Fortress 2 installed, so count me as one. Why would anybody only have a partial install? Nothing else through Steam though. TF2 is going bye-bye though since all these recent updates have ruined the game experience for me. No reason to even have Steam installed after that though.

What's with all the <3 Steam threads lately? Are people getting paid for these advertisements?

Typical. 3rd worlds screwing their people over as long as those making the rules get paid it won't get any better.

Hell my parents paid 45-50$ for 384 DSL for years in small town kansas. SKT just now put some new equipment in the town, now they have 4000kbps which is a nice upgrade.

Also they probably advertise "up to" because dsl is based of distance, the farther away, the slower the connection.

Probably about half of my installed games are through Steam. Most of my game purchases recently have been through Steam though, both because it's convenient, and because they keep having super-cheap deals for great games.

Back