Anyone had luck with UT24k voice chat?

IceWindus

n00b
Ok, I gave voice chat a real chance last night. Was easy enough to set up, and I started testing on several servers. Apparently I came through pretty good to most people, but the big problem is, I pretty much can't hear anyone else?

I notice when someone talks, their pictures slide on the left side, and I hear the audio cut out like there gonna talk, but I don't hear anything. If I do, its cuts and pieces and rarely do I get a full uniterruppted conversation from someone and its really annoying cause I have to have them resay everything I didn't hear the first time?

Anyone else had this issue, or is it just so dependent on a variety of factors that it either works or doesn't depending on server, peoples connection, router path...ect..ect.. I want it to work better because its SOOO Much easier to make attacks and plans then typing.

If anyone has any kind of tweak, let me know and I'll try it.

Do you have your voice settings set to the higher bandwidth? That could be the problem. It could also be a problem with the other people's connection.

I thought that the higher quality setting was mostly for recieving better audio if you had the bandwidth. At least that's what I got out of the information blurb on the menu.

Bizarrely, despite setting all the options apart from the higher-bandwidth one, and joining the team channel, I haven't been able to hear anyone's voice chat at all on-line. The sound didn't mute, but I could see the radio icon above the player models on screen. Odd.

I never got it to work, and it didn't seem to make much diference, so I just switched it all off!

[k]

No I believe the setting is in regards to the quality of your voice transmission, not the other way around.

I"ll play with it more tonight, because its fun as hell when its working well. BF1942 DEFINENTLY needs something like this.

Surprised BF:V didn't have this, but being EA, im not surprised either.

Most players that are 'serious' about voice comm use Ventrillo. Lots better then any in game voicecomm.

^^^true...

my friends and I use teamspeak when we play online, but the few times I've tried to use the ingame chat I havent had that much of a problem. Are you the only one who cant hear them when they talk? could be an issue on there end as well.

The speech from others was always really low when I was playing as well (and not using TS). I dont think its perfect yet in UT, perhaps they will work on it for the next patch?

out of the few players i've encountered using it, it worked fine.

Ah, well I don't know of any people that are serious about voice chat and I don't belong to any clans and im not really a big UT2k4 as my ping rate is pretty horrendous with my DSL, its mostly above 100ms.

Owell, back to BF1942 I guess.

i used it back in the demo, and i remember 1-2 other people on my team usually used it too

i think its pretty nifty

Originally posted by theNoid
Most players that are 'serious' about voice comm use Ventrillo. Lots better then any in game voicecomm.
I've been having some problems with my mic. Maybe I could give this a try. Where is a good client I could d/l it from (let me guess, there home page).

i've seen lots of people who apparently don't know how to set up a microphone. I say seen since I get no audo from them. :D

i have no clue. Maybe it's a weird soundcard-specific driver problem? waht sound card you have?

could be network stuff, but I doubt it. Maybe the server you are on (if it's overloaded)

Originally posted by theNoid

Team Speak > Ventrillo

I have been playing XBL since the day it came out and voice over IP works flawlessly on all but one or two game. I was surprised with UT2004 because the same can not be said. I have your problem, voice is all broken up when I can actually heard anything. I turned everything to low quality to see if that helps any but it only is more or less the same.

The only other factors I have thought of is joining only the chat channel that is neccesary. There are three channels. Is it the Public channel that it used as when a player pushes T to talk to his team?

Eh, I don't remember what I set my settings at, but I have never had a problem with the voice chat. *Shrugs*

Back