Anyone got Ryzen to work with ECC

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by tangoseal, Jul 20, 2018.

1. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I know this is a seriously random stab at a question here but has anyone gotten ECC Udimm to work in actual ECC mode on the 2200g/Ryzen anything?

I am sitting on a i3-8100 and Asrock H chipset ITX board I want to make a PFsense firewall with that will last me 5 or 6 more years but I really want ECC so I can leave the bitch run for 6 months at a time never turning it off EVER.

Before I pop the factory seal on this Intel I wanted to see if there were any Ryzen chips that I could get ECC to work with out there.

Trying to avoid buying a Xeon and a supermicro board blah blah if I can...

I am not opposed to an Opteron either but mobos are much much harder to find for those.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

My understanding is that ECC works on all AMD processors (or at least their socket AMx processors), but it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to implement hardware and firmware support for it it.

3. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

There is a topic on this in the motherboard section :)

4. tangoseal

Yeah for x299. Not for regular ryzen. Unless I am missing it.

5. tangoseal

Yes
    That is true. I'm looking for confirmation I cant buy 17 motherboards to verify it. But the community probably has at least one that got it to work.

6. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

I would assume that if a motherboard manufacturer has support for it, then ECC hardware/software support would be a marketable feature. You don't need to buy the motherboards to find it out. Just download the owner's pdf manual for each board you are interested in and see.

7. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

Start with the right motherboard and bios first of course. When in doubt, asrock + X-series chipset.

Ryzen 1xxx hard confirmed working, logged corrected errors
    Ryzen 2xxx unconfirmed, but appears to be working
    Ryzen 2xxxG soft confirmed negative, specifically mentioned as not supported in bios notes - this however does not match early reddit comments by amd saying it was not disabled and the cpu+gpu ram controller did not exclude ecc functionality. Still not sure if this just needs dedicated bios work or is truly not hardware capable.
    Threadripper duh - although a shitty motherboard vendor might fuck this up, it is an official feature. Don't buy shitty motherboards.

Huge fucking shame on the APUs, would be the cheapest ECC capable useful GPU compute option ever. The embedded V series work and aren't too expensive as barebones though.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    tangoseal likes this.
  8. tangoseal

Thanks pieter

From that thread..
    That means the ITX board is fully supported. That's great news.

9. chithanh

chithanh Gawd

You cannot get ECC working on Raven Ridge APUs like the 2200G, at least nobody managed to get this to work yet.
    Even mobos that support ECC on Summit Ridge / Pinnacle Ridge do not enable it on Raven Ridge.

As for why that is and whether this is going to change is still not totally clear. Some rumors say that a future AGESA update can enable ECC. OTOH some mobo specs say that only Ryzen PRO APUs support ECC, which might indicate that ECC is somehow disabled in non-PRO APUs.

10. Nightfire

Nightfire Gawd

Ryzen Pro APU sounds awesome. Being forced to buy the overpriced and under-featured Dell, Lenova, or HP computers that surround them - not so much.

11. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

all mighty dollar always comes first.. it makes sense though for AMD and their vendors not to allow ECC support on consumer grade APU's.. takes a crap load of potential profit away from both sides when companies are willing to ignore the warranty service guarantee they get by going with the "pro" series by just getting dirt cheap consumer APU's and throwing the systems away when they die.

12. Nightfire

Nightfire Gawd

So why does Intel offer their Xeon to consumers for a similiar price.

For Christ Sake I need my black IHS and 'Pro' case sticker! Oh yeah, and ecc support.

13. chithanh

chithanh Gawd

If you want ECC, your options are currently:
    • Ryzen (Summit Ridge/Pinnacle Ridge) on socket AM4. Not the APU (Raven Ridge).
    • Ryzen Embedded V1000 APU (e.g. Sapphire FS-FP5V)
    • Threadripper
    • Epyc
    • Xeon
    • Some Pentium or Core i3
    • older platforms with ECC