Anyone gone to Ubuntu 11.04 yet?

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
I'm running 10.10 and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

11.04 is available via the update manager.
Not apposed to upgrading but anyone running 11.04 yet? What do ya think??

I fresh installed it yesterday on my laptop and used it for most of the day. The default OSS ATI driver for the HD 4670 don't seem to have working power management, so I enabled the restricted driver. It was much better (fan is not constantly running @ high) after that. Scrolling is kind of sluggish with either driver on the web browsers I tried (Chrome 11 and FF4). Scrolling is perfectly smooth under Windows 7. With the OSS ATI driver, I saw a couple of glitches in the GUI rendering that disappeared after installing the proprietary driver. All hardware on my Dell XPS 1645 worked perfectly (besides the OSS ATI driver rendering glitches) right after installing.

I actually like the Unity desktop. I went from zero experience to figuring out everything I wanted to do pretty quickly. The task bar isn't exactly revolutionary, but it does clean up the interface and I like it much more than the GNOME 2 desktop manager.

I installed it, works fine so far. But I absolutely HATE Unity. I'm stuck in the middle of an OS dilemma right now, I can't figure out what I want to do.

1) Deal with Unity and use 11.04.
2) Use 11.04 in Gnome classic mode.
3) Stick with 10.10 for another release or two.
4) Switch to Fedora and Gnome 3.
5) Switch back to Windows until Unity/Gnome 3 are a little more mature.

Thanks. I find Gnome 2 ok; but somewhat buggy. Reading up on Gnome3 it is more of the same plus being more resource hungry.
I'm actually considering jumping from Ubuntu to Debian and KDE. I dislike the "fuzzy widget" approach Ubuntu seem to take. It seems they are more concerned with everything looking sleek and smooth rather then running smoothly and being reliable. If Linux is nothing else; it should be reliable. That is one of the few good reason to totally dump windows and learn a new OS.

Don't personally like 11.04. I'm running standard gnome desktop but it seems to have killed all my 3d effects.

At this point, my next install is going to be fedora or mint.

My desktop didn't like 11.04 much, due to ATI drivers not being ready. My Tablet PC did fine with 11.04. My desktop is now happily using Debian testing. My Tablet didn't like Debian due to it's poor wacom drivers. Ubuntu puts a lot of effort into getting good drivers working, but the 6 month cycle is bad for one's heart.

personally I love unity's new ui , but the whole sleep function not working on my laptop keeps me from using ubuntu as my primary os

I went into Unity with an open mind, but just couldn't get used to it. Tried for about 2 weeks but it's just too.. different. I wans't getting anything done. Gnome classic for now. Probably back to AwesomeWM soon

I think I'm going to wait till the 12.04 LTS release. 10.10 has been treating me well and should still be supported till then.

I'm in no rush. That, and I'm waiting for them to support the gnome 3 stack.

Last edited:
I upgrade from 10.10 recently. I'm really digging unity, I'm liking the desktop. It's got snap from Win7 and scenes from OSX. Nice blend of two nice features. I like the system search.

so far so good. Plays nicely with the Fusion setup. I had some issues in 10.10.

I just did a clean install on a new desktop as well as upgrade an older 13" laptop. Unity is much more suited to the laptop with a constrained viewing area but seems ridiculous on my multi-monitor desktop.

I can deal with the new launcher -- it's not a bad idea, but making it more customizable should be an option (it opens and closes too quickly). However, I find the placement of the new application menus hard to use as I have to move my mouse a much greater distance when windows aren't maximized. I don't like the new scrollbars, either, since they are hard to see until I drag my mouse over the entire right side of the window.

To me, the worst thing is the change they made to the Home button. Instead of providing a tree of available applications, only a search box is available. I'd like to be able to see exactly what applications I have instead of having to guess via the search box.

In summary, Unity tries to obfuscate and complicate basic OS tasks which is really the antithesis of a good GUI/window manager. I've switched back to Ubuntu classic/Gnome for now and hopefully Unity will be improved in the next release.

I had my first hard crash in 11.04. Since it's a virgin install (not an app conflict), imma not going to bother with it for a few weeks until stability gets better.

I have been using 11.04 since beta 2. The AMD/ATi drivers just do not work well with the OS yet and there are a few bugs they still need to iron out. I would wait for more bug fixes before jumping to 11.04.

from all the reading here i guess this might explain the problem im having, a purple flashing screen when trying to load/install 11.04

computer im installing it in does have an ATI card in it

11.04 is the least finish version Canonical has released in a while. There are still a lot of bugs that need to be worked out before I fully commit to it.

I installed it on my desktop and laptop. I can keep it on the desktop because I dual boot but I had to return the laptop back to 10.10 64-bit since its exclusively an Ubuntu machine.

I installed it, works fine so far. But I absolutely HATE Unity. I'm stuck in the middle of an OS dilemma right now, I can't figure out what I want to do.

1) Deal with Unity and use 11.04.
2) Use 11.04 in Gnome classic mode.
3) Stick with 10.10 for another release or two.
4) Switch to Fedora and Gnome 3.
5) Switch back to Windows until Unity/Gnome 3 are a little more mature.

Out of those options, I think 3 makes the most sense. If it works, why bother changing?

I really dislike the new UI. Also, we upgraded a work machine and a customer machine from 10.10 and it hosed both of them. Fresh install seems to work okay though.

Is it just me, or is Ubuntu trying to be like Windows ... which is exactly not the reason to be using Linux. I kinda think I'm right on this.

Is it just me, or is Ubuntu trying to be like Windows ... which is exactly not the reason to be using Linux. I kinda think I'm right on this.

I think they are trying to make things more OSX-like. Moving the window buttons, the dock, etc.

If Linux users wanted OSX, we'd spend an enormous amount of money on a Mac. I like Ubuntu because its not Windows and its not OSX but Ubuntu. I don't know about 11.04...

I think their intentions are to make Ubuntu friendlier for the unwashed masses. I welcome the notion, but Unity isn't the answer.

I will say that I really like Shell. Its nowhere ready, but it looks good so far.

I think their intentions are to make Ubuntu friendlier for the unwashed masses. I welcome the notion, but Unity isn't the answer.

I will say that I really like Shell. Its nowhere ready, but it looks good so far.

This is how I feel, just wish ATI drivers had a option to fix overscan on my TV.

I always find web browsers lag a bit compared to Win7 no matter if it is Nvidia or ATI vid card. Even the X GUI is a bit laggy compared to Vista/Win7.

Is it just me, or is Ubuntu trying to be like Windows ... which is exactly not the reason to be using Linux. I kinda think I'm right on this

The beauty of Linux is that it needs to be what it needs to be. The unfortunate issue of Linux is how some have a subjective opinion about it.

I always find web browsers lag a bit compared to Win7 no matter if it is Nvidia or ATI vid card. Even the X GUI is a bit laggy compared to Vista/Win7.
Yeah, I noted the same thing above. It's actually worse under Unity on 11.04. Hopefully that can be fixed, whether it's caused by accelerated compositing or the drivers. It shouldn't be that bad.

Been running 11.04 all work and its working great. I didn't stick with Unity though; went back to my old gnome desktop that I was using in 10.10.

I'm running xubuntu 11.04 on my laptop and will likely run it on my desktop too.

I installed FC14, Mint 11, Mint XFCE Debian, Debian Squeeze, Xubuntu, Ubuntu 11.04, and OpenSuse 11.4 over the weekend to see how they'd do.

Mint is in a transitional phase right now with XFCE debian. The Mint 11(non-xfce) install has a compositing engine and/or xorg driver installed that is very incompatible with my integrated graphics. I didn't even bother messing with 11 further since that was such a pain. I also don't need gnome on an older laptop with 1gb of ram. I was not terribly impressed with their XFCE Debian release. Updating the system caused a number of weird problems since they're using debian unstable. Hopefully they can get things fixed up because it seems like a good idea in the long run.

Fedora Core 14 had some cool features out of the box, but it was also the ugliest (subjective), least responsive, and Yum is not really my style. I also know that Fedora does not often stay the most usable for very long. I find it more difficult to recover from problems since I'm not as familiar with it. Unless I'm forced to one day use CentOS for a project, I will likely stay away from Fedora or any redhat based distributions.

Ubuntu 11.04 wouldn't even install. It couldn't mount my cdrom drive. That's just... dumb. Debian was ok, but it's a really long install and I really didn't feel like configuring everything for my liking by that point since it was getting late. OpenSuse had trouble with my video card similar to Mint 11.

Xubuntu 11.04 was the best for me, unanimously. The synaptic touchpad settings were better out of the box than with any of the other distros, I had to make an xorg.conf to force it to use the Intel driver but once it did I was able to install urandr or something similar for xrandr to position multiple monitors. Everything else has just worked and it's been speedy.

I just did a clean install on a new desktop as well as upgrade an older 13" laptop. Unity is much more suited to the laptop with a constrained viewing area but seems ridiculous on my multi-monitor desktop.

I can deal with the new launcher -- it's not a bad idea, but making it more customizable should be an option (it opens and closes too quickly). However, I find the placement of the new application menus hard to use as I have to move my mouse a much greater distance when windows aren't maximized. I don't like the new scrollbars, either, since they are hard to see until I drag my mouse over the entire right side of the window.

To me, the worst thing is the change they made to the Home button. Instead of providing a tree of available applications, only a search box is available. I'd like to be able to see exactly what applications I have instead of having to guess via the search box.

In summary, Unity tries to obfuscate and complicate basic OS tasks which is really the antithesis of a good GUI/window manager. I've switched back to Ubuntu classic/Gnome for now and hopefully Unity will be improved in the next release.

I concur. I dislike the lack of an application button. I also don't like that I can't resize the dock bar/location of the bar. I removed some shortcuts, and it had a big black space.

I am thinking about trying Fedora 15 with Gnome 3 on a USB stick. Right now, I am sticking with Windows Server 2008 r2.

I downloaded Fedora Live spins with KDE, and XFCE at work.

Ha, I just installed 11.04 on a box with a P4 and a Voodoo 5. It said something about not being able to use Unity on first boot, and I just kept going.

Looks like I'm glad that happened.

Both Unity and Gnome 3 blow. I loaded the latest Mint with Gnome 2.x. Much better.

Their reasons for making it look like a Smartphone or Netbook are wrong for desktop users. It's counterproductive.

Also, if I hear the reason one-more-time about it being easy for beginners, I'm going to slap whoever makes up their marketing department. One, that is not true. But two, there are NO Linux beginners. Every Linux user is a power user. There is nobody running Linux over Windows who doesn't know what that difference means. If there is a computer n00b somewhere running Linux, its because some power-user set it up for them.

I think they are trying to make things more OSX-like. Moving the window buttons, the dock, etc.

If Linux users wanted OSX, we'd spend an enormous amount of money on a Mac. I like Ubuntu because its not Windows and its not OSX but Ubuntu. I don't know about 11.04...

I wouldn't usually post in a thread like this, but this is just so...uninformed. I know it had been said before, but one of my biggest issues with the Linux community are myopic supporters that just revel in their own OS's obscurity. It makes absolutely no sense, and it kills momentum that would spread adoption.

I don't mean to say that being different is not a good thing. Also, having a bigger development budget does not necessarily mean that things are being done the right way. However, it would be completely ignorant to think that the insane amount of money that is spent on UI development at Appl/MS doesn't yield some occasional impressive results.

It appears to me that 11.04 is doing exactly what it should be - catching up with the UI design of more thoughtfully designed systems. They might as well ride on the backs of giants, and then make a move when the other two stagnate.

For what it's worth, I really hope that development continues this direction.

I upgraded my 10.10 install to 11.04 and it killed GTK so it reverts to no theme after a minute or so...so I did a fresh load of xubuntu 11.04 which has not died so far which is a great improvement. It was also easy to pick up my 8 disk raid5 which was nice.

I wouldn't usually post in a thread like this, but this is just so...uninformed. I know it had been said before, but one of my biggest issues with the Linux community are myopic supporters that just revel in their own OS's obscurity. It makes absolutely no sense, and it kills momentum that would spread adoption.

Its hardly fair to characterize the average linux user as one that "revels" in the obscurity of their OS. Linux can continue to be linux and not be obscure.

However, it would be completely ignorant to think that the insane amount of money that is spent on UI development at Appl/MS doesn't yield some occasional impressive results.

I don't think anyone is disputing your statement. Unity, according to a large number of people, is not impressive or progress but rather a regression. My optimism was guarded and I'm glad that it was. Unity, IMO, is a regression in terms of functionality and easy of use and its very buggy. I could have swallowed the loss of functionality if it weren't so buggy.

It appears to me that 11.04 is doing exactly what it should be - catching up with the UI design of more thoughtfully designed systems. They might as well ride on the backs of giants, and then make a move when the other two stagnate.

For what it's worth, I really hope that development continues this direction.

Well I guess that is subjective and you're entitled to your opinion. I just hope that at some point between now and 11.11, they fix some of stability and performance issues with 11.04. If the 11.11 final is of the same calibre as 11.04, I'm off of Ubuntu for a while.

I fired it up for the first time on a live usb while fixing someone's computer this weekend. It looked kind of cool...

I'm a little sad that from what I'm reading I can say goodbye to all my awesome compiz icing if I do switch. I switched to Debian Squeeze about 6 months ago and have really enjoyed it, nothing is compelling me to mess with my triple boot setup ATM, especially 11.04

Back