Anyone gone from SLI 670's to a 1070?

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
From everything I have read, two 670's in SLI is roughly the speed of a GTX 980 card. Just wondering if anyone here on the forum has done this upgrade, and if so - what their thoughts are. Still kind of torn whether to go all out for a GTX 1080, or if the 1070 will provide enough of a boost to run newer games at 1440P. As I always go 3-4 years between upgrades, I want something that will be an upgrade, not a sidegrade. Anyone have any experiences to share?

Get a 1080. I had SLI 670s then went to a Fury, which was sort of like a wash in performance and overlclocked it was somewhat close to a 1070 in terms of numbers. I definitely notice the difference from what I had with the 1080.

Well, pulled the trigger on a 1070 and I am so incredibly happy with it. I'm not too sure if it was the 2GB of memory on my 670's, or the fact I was running them in SLI but even though my frame rate numbers were good, I never could get rid a slight stutter that drove me nuts! With my new 1070 card, I have not found a game yet that I can't max out and run silky smooth at 2560 x 1440! Would definitely recommend as an upgrade to anyone else running 670 / 680's in SLI. I ended up going for the Asus Strix OC Edition reviewed here on HardOCP.

So very, very, very happy!!! :D

I'm not too sure if it was the 2GB of memory on my 670's, or the fact I was running them in SLI but even though my frame rate numbers were good, I never could get rid a slight stutter that drove me nuts!

I'd say both factors contributed to a different subset of problems with your frame rate. As I understand it, low on memory generally means less frames, even chokes when it goes badly, while SLI delays frames no matter what. The way I see it, any multi gpu gains are completely negated by delaying input as well.

Get a 120+ Hz monitor and you'll find there are plenty of current and even old games you can't really max all the time. Even at 1080p :D

Do what I did and get 2 X 1070s. Its a pretty big jump from 670s and a necessity at 4K. In games that scale well (SLI), the extra card really helps out. I'm able to max out Doom, Far Cry 4, MGSV, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, GTA V, Metro Last Light easily. In games with no SLI support or poor SLI scaling (ROTTR) I have to revert back to my 1080p monitor. Nonetheless a significant bump in performance and the extra VRAM really helps. My 670s were choking on VRAM even at 1080p. Didn't even attempt running games at 4K on the 670s.

I went from GTX 680 2gb SLI to a single GTX 1070 at 2560x1440 96hz and it was well worth it.

I mostly play games like WoW and CSGO that had already ran great on just a single GTX680 as I had SLI disabled for those two games specifically.

I play CSGO at low settings and at a resolution of 1280x720 on my 2560x1440 monitor and I already had enough FPS for competitive 5v5 in 128tick servers.
When you're already seeing performance over 200-300 fps it made the gain from the 1070 less noticeable.

The improvements I see with WoW is that I can sustain higher frame rates at the same maxed graphics settings that I had already had in use along with super sampling AA at 200% with no issues.

Where I noticed the most immediate and gratifying effect was when I loaded up GTAV and I was able to turn everything up to the highest settings and was able to drive and fly around at a solid 40+ fps with minimal dips.

I had to run the GTAV with a few of settings in the lowered to medium range, while keeping some more important ones at high, before I got the 1070 and I still had some bad stutters at times with lower settings.

I paid $200 a piece for the GTX680 cards which was a steal as the 770s were brand new and were selling for $400+ canadian at the time!
I bought them because I had just built this 4670k system and also found a cheap Qnix 1440 monitor shortly after therefore I needed some more graphics horsepower as I was playing games like the ESO beta.

At the time I couldn't pass up the price for the GTX680 SLI setup and while they did lack the vram for some newer titles the vast majority of my game time ended up being spent with older titles and they were fantastic.

I was waiting for something newer to buy for a while now in a single card that was enough of a jump in performance to be worth the upgrade while not costing too much more than the $400 canadian I paid for the pair of 680s.

What I got in this 1070 was a hell of a lot less noise and less heat/power usage while gaining the performance to play some of the newer intensive games again at the stupid settings in the video options.

I was close to buying a 980ti last year around the holidays but waiting longer and getting the 1070 saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars over the spring and summer months which was during a time in which I ended up not even playing many games!

TLDR
I bought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 to upgrade from MSI Reference OC 2gb GTX 680 in SLI running a 2560x1440 monitor.

Worth it.

I went from a 1080p 670 SLI to 4k 980Ti, I wasn't very happy with FPS :D

So I got a second 980Ti and custom water cooling. Now I'm happy :)

Back