Anyone go from TitanPascal/1080ti to 2080ti that does 4k 60hz gaming?

Dahkoht

Limp Gawd
I've about talked myself out of passing down my current gaming rig to my son for another year (his is fine too atm)

7700k at 4.8 (did 5 fine but way cooler with zero tweaks needed for 4.8)
32GB DDR
Samsung 970 1TB m2
Titan Pascal (hits 1975 without issue)

I game on my BenQ 32" 4k at 60hz and am awaiting a min 32" 4k 144 or higher before replacing (don't like 1440p or anything lower than 4k or 32")

What I'm wondering is if anyone has gone from that card range to a 2080ti and noticed a more solid 60fps overall ?

I play WoT and can max it at solid 60 with no problem , Assassin Creed Odd on the other hand I had to dial back a little a AA and shadows but still looks great.

So was wondering what others thought about is it worth going from the TitanPascal to the 2080ti for a more overall guarantee of staying at 60 fps at all times for 4k ?

(and I am right that for 4k 60hz gaming there's little reason to change from a 7700k pushing 5ghz to a 9700k ? All this machine is used for is gaming)

Thanks again

The CPU can still make a smaller difference, everything in your rig matters, but a 7700K will be fine in this case.

He's just looking for 60fps right now, I don't think he's counting fractions of a percent to win competitive benchmarking.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Assassin's Creed Odyssey will need to have settings turned down with a 2080 Ti at 4K. Some of the settings (like clouds) are an insane performance hit.

I'm in the same boat. Gaming at 4k/60hz and using a 1080Ti which I'm very happy with. But I did some more research. DLSS is a pretty neat thing to have and it does boost fps quite a bit. If it's included in future demanding games then it's a dealmaker for me. DLSS is not important for current/old games as almost all of them run at 4k/60fps at max details anyway.

Thanks all , once Amazon gets some in stock at msrp price think am going to try the 20080ti route.

That way if any issues is easy/instant return with refund.

Been a while since upgraded cards without just building while system , any sort of voodoo need to do to avoid any issues driver wise or should be fine since going from recent Nvidia to Nvidia still ?

Best to use DDU safe mode uninstall and then install latest Nvidia drivers fresh. Theoretically it should work, but I've found odd issues happen if you don't wipe the drivers first.

The [H] review one post up from yours has up to 55% higher FPS and most around 40%...

Titan XP is about 7-8% faster than Ti, and actually can get closer to 11-12% if he overclocks the memory more because it has much better binned memory. Plus he's already at 2GHz. So that 40% difference in minimum framerate is actually a 20% difference. The 2080 Ti has less of an overclocking headroom, closer to 8-10%. I concede if he has a aftermarket 2080 Ti with a higher power target than FE card and he OCs it, it can get up to close to 30% faster than an OC Titan XP.

Last edited:
Titan XP is about 7-8% faster than Ti. Plus he's already at 2GHz. So that 40% difference in minimum framerate is actually a 20% difference. The 2080 Ti has less of an overclocking headroom, closer to 8-10%. I concede if he has a aftermarket 2080 Ti with a higher power target than FE card and he OCs it, it can get up to close to 30% faster than an OC Titan XP.

You know, we need a good OC vs OC review at 4k60.

You have sound logic.

Titan XP is about 7-8% faster than Ti, and actually can get closer to 11-12% if he overclocks the memory more because it has much better binned memory. Plus he's already at 2GHz. So that 40% difference in minimum framerate is actually a 20% difference. The 2080 Ti has less of an overclocking headroom, closer to 8-10%. I concede if he has a aftermarket 2080 Ti with a higher power target than FE card and he OCs it, it can get up to close to 30% faster than an OC Titan XP.

First, he didn't say Titan xp, he said X pascal. Second, there is NO WAY you'll ever see anything close to a 11-12% frame rate bump from ocing the memory a bit more. Hell, even zero mem oc compared to max is gonna be a couple frames at best.

Max oc to max oc, the difference is on the order of 30-35% from titan x pascal (2016)/ 1080ti to 2080ti. I can personally testify that this is the case in Witcher 3, ME:A, FFXV WE, Nier Automata, and several others. Do you have first hand knowledge of your theoretical comparisons? Cause from where I'm sitting they appear to be extrapolations of others benchmark results.

To ops question - yes, I've found that I can get 60 FPS or better 99% of the time in most modern games with almost no sacrifice to settings, with a solid oc on my 2080ti (admittedly its pretty good overclocker from what I've seen). There are some exceptions to this, including FFXV, which does need a handful of the Nvidia Gameworks settings dialed back. There are others as well, but for the most part even challenging games can be run at 60fps in UHD.

First, he didn't say Titan xp, he said X pascal. Second, there is NO WAY you'll ever see anything close to a 11-12% frame rate bump from ocing the memory a bit more. Hell, even zero mem oc compared to max is gonna be a couple frames at best.

Max oc to max oc, the difference is on the order of 30-35% from titan x pascal (2016)/ 1080ti to 2080ti. I can personally testify that this is the case in Witcher 3, ME:A, FFXV WE, Nier Automata, and several others. Do you have first hand knowledge of your theoretical comparisons? Cause from where I'm sitting they appear to be extrapolations of others benchmark results.

To ops question - yes, I've found that I can get 60 FPS or better 99% of the time in most modern games with almost no sacrifice to settings, with a solid oc on my 2080ti (admittedly its pretty good overclocker from what I've seen). There are some exceptions to this, including FFXV, which does need a handful of the Nvidia Gameworks settings dialed back. There are others as well, but for the most part even challenging games can be run at 60fps in UHD.

I took his last line as implying 30% minimum (so 30 to 45%?) OC vs OC. Although if OP has the first Titan X Pascal and not the full die one it that matters slightly.

But yeah... it’s a decent bump and got me to where I wanted to be. Value is a personal opinion however.

I misread the OP. But yes, I do have personal experience from Xp to 2080 Ti FE. I bought the Xp during the mining boom because of the extra ETH/s with the faster memory, and sold it at a profit. It's about a 25-27% difference average between OC'ed cards, although some minimums like in Witcher 3, was only about 17-18% faster in places like Skellige. That said I'm guessing FE is mainly held back by the low power target. Also worth mentioning my FE is not a good overclocker, while the Xp was--max boost is 2055MHz though OC scanner, whereas Titan XP did 2130MHz with just manual overclocking.

The reason I misread it is most reviewers put Pascal in parenthesis, i.e. Titan (Pascal), so I am used to that naming convention, and thought he meant Xp when I browsed through the OP's post. My bad.

Last edited:
The reason I misread it is most reviewers put Pascal in parenthesis, i.e. Titan (Pascal), so I am used to that naming convention, and thought he meant Xp when I browsed through the OP's post. My bad.

I reread my post and it came across pretty harsh. That wasn't my intention. My apologies.

In truth, his post isn't completely specific. OP said "TitanPascal", but equates it to a 1080ti. According to the listings on Nvidia's website, the 2016 version is the Titan X (pascal), and the 2017 version is the Titan Xp, so I have to assume he meant the former. I think we can all blame Nvidia for the boneheaded naming convention that gave us THREE "Titan X" GPUs - one Maxwell and two Pascal.

Regardless of where he's coming from or what kind of gains it'll actually mean percentage wise, I took the overall question to be whether the 2080ti is capable of 60fps gaming. Personally, I think the answer to that is, "yes, with qualifications". Some may point at a handful of games like FFXV WE, AC:O, and the new Tomb Raider, and say "well, I can't crank all the settings and run it at 60fps". They'd be right, but we're pretty darned close. And the kinds of sacrifices you have to make with settings to get 60 fps are pretty much trivial at this point.

I went from Titan Xp to Titan V and noticed more frames and better PQ at 4k in the games I play.

I moved from an EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 to an EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 and overall have been happy. Much smoother experience at higher settings at 4K60. My only complaint is EVGA's new OC software, Precision X1. I know it is still in beta, but what a buggy mess.

The fact that 1080Ti's have retained value so well is just icing on the cake. The upgrade didn't cost me as much as it otherwise would have.

Have a 2080ti but still waiting on parts to build my new rig so it's not in use yet. (But my brother is going to be very happy to get most of my current computer since his is like 8-9 years old and he'll get my Titan XP..lol)

I am running a Zotac 2080ti AMP and I went from ~48fps in AC: Odyssey at 4K to nearly 60. The overall experience is smoother too as I have far less hitching than I had with the 1080ti. As someone mentioned above, you have to turn down the volumetric clouds setting as the hit is enormous.

Back