Anyone give up on PC Surround sound and just go stereo? Any regrets?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by DoubleTap, May 14, 2019.

1. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

My main home theater setup had a center channel and 4x definitive tech bipolar towers, took the two rear towers and set them up next to my desk with another amp via toslink. Using the odyssey setup mic to calibrate the stereo setup to directly where I sit sounds way better for day to day audio use on my desktop vs the old logitech setup. Only bad part is once you get used to very nice home theater speakers every soundbar and soundsystem you hear out at a bar sounds like trash lol.

2. marshac

marshac [H]ard|Gawd

It's interesting that the best audio products are either 30 years old (Sony amp above), or perhaps modern, but based on even older tech (tubes) - WTF happened to the audio industry?

3. xmadror

xmadror Gawd

Audio gear wasn't built to a price point back until the start of the 80's. Before that they were trying to build the best they could, now they are just trying to make as much money as possible and don't care about anything else.
    Some brands never stopped making good product but you can't really buy those on a normal budget unless you are a serious audiophile.

4. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Nothing, but there's been a surge in golden ears and audio snake oil pushers.

B00nie and SvenBent like this.
  5. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

San Diego has some nice craigslist buys eh atari?

Anyway, has anyone mentioned this version of headphone surround? I have yet to hear it but it has been around a few years and has generally been well received. Also is considered to have improved over time.

https://smyth-research.com/

atarione likes this.
  6. atarione

atarione [H]ard|Gawd

SD did indeed.. however I have since moved (not super thrilled but it was pretty unavoidable) to Thousand Oaks.. the Sony stack and Yammy 3ways are all T.O. finds

to be honest these are a few years old finds now... it seems that goodwill has caught on.. was in there a week~ or so ago and some pretty "meh" stuff more or less at Ebay prices now... oh well.. I have more or less "retired" from audio shopping mostly because with the Sony Stack and speakers I already have I'm pretty satisfied and I am too lazy / like dealing with selling stuff to little to want to mess with "flipping" anyways.. I have a fair bit of gear I should probably move on but I'm too lazy / hate dealling with selling stuff.

7. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Nope - still using CMSS-3D via Creative Labs Titanium HD I purchased in 2011. With HD800's it gives me an almost unfair advantage in games like Natural Selection 2 where positional audio is paramount. No onboard solution I've sampled comes close.

Patiently waiting for the AE-9!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. xmadror

xmadror Gawd

I'm kinda the same way, most of my unused/unwanted audio gear is either taking place in my home or a friend/family member got a good deal/gift.
    One of them got 2 set of speakers and 4 receivers from me!
    3-4 months ago another friend was insisting that he wanted to buy my B&W DM-3000 from my main system and that is how I ended with the kef 105.2.
    When I realized I needed more amps for the kef he also bought my Bryston 3b. He didn't get a great deal on the speaker since I wasn't looking to sell but I made it up to him with a great deal on the bryston a week later!

I also have some gear that would fetch a good price on the used market but also needs some repair.
    I need to find a new tech, the one I was using is about to retire and only works 2 days a week and often refuses to take on more work because he has 2-3months of work lined up.

9. bitgod

bitgod Gawd

I'm still using my Titanium HD too, though my system is at least as old as the card. :rolleyes: Though I'm putting together a new Ryzen system, I'll give the on-board audio a chance at first. Most likely I'll go back to what I'm used to until they stop making drivers for it.

10. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

i have a 7.1 headset for gaming (corsair)
    i never. ever. EVER. use the surround and i rarely even use the headset.

i used it more for work at my last job than anything else. now i just have low end altec lansing stereo speakers... not even 2.1... just stereo.

11. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Been 2 channel forever. No regrets. Everything works... all the time.

12. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I just went back to surround sound this weekend. I can't believe what a difference it makes. I had been using some M-Audio AV-40's which were decent enough, but I always felt like I was missing something. Having said that, I've heard some awesome stereo setups. The one Kyle uses is freaking awesome and relatively cheap. I'm now using a 5.1 setup consisting of an old receiver and some Polk bookshelf speakers along with a Sony center and surround speakers. The sub is a Sony as well (unsure of the model) but the sound is actually quite amazing given the equipment I'm using. It's all generally unremarkable. I literally spent no money on this as it was all stuff that was either given to me, or were things I already had on hand which I purchased many years ago.

I'm hardly an audiophile but it sounds pretty damn good for the price. I always ran dedicated computer audio setups for years but was never totally satisfied with them. Years ago I started using old receivers on my PC that were handed down from my home theater setup. In my last house I was too lazy to setup a surround sound configuration and bought the M-Audio MV-40's. They served me well, but it was never as good as my surround setup. I had transitioned to using headphones allot of the time and although I don't mind that, it's not something I like doing all the time. I also watch TV shows and movies on my PC, so the 5.1 setup in my office seemed like something nice to have.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    DoubleTap and IdiotInCharge like this.
  13. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Battlefield 5 does surround good but even I just ditched my surround logitechs. The airplanes in BF sound good.