Anyone get smb multichannel working between windows 10 and linux?

mikeo

Gawd
Has anyone here successfully setup smb multichannel between windows / linux?

Tried balance-rr 20g bond on the Linux server side, with two ip's set on the windows side, but all traffic always goes over one network path and Get-SmbMultichannelConnection in powershell never returns anything.

Ended up switching both back to IEEE802.3adDynamicLinkAggregation, but that's limited to 10g (still very fast) speeds. Also, the intel x540t2's don't have the random dropout issues that the cheap (junk) asus 10g cards had.

Attachments

• 10g raidz1.png
    10g raidz1.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It works, kind of. It was announced in Samba 4.4.0 and even in the current 4.11 I believe it is still marked as experimental. There are a number of blogs on setup, here for example, but keep in mind YMMV. I enabled it on a few Synology boxes and about 50% of the time in the first few days, I got file corruption over some/many of the transferred files, the busier any of the connections were the worse the problems were. I enabled it in Ubuntu and Debian and saw much, much more stable results. I attempted it with 1Gb connections and saw better (proportionally, based upon theoretical maximums) throughput than on the 10Gb and 40Gb connections I tried. As long as the host and all the endpoints support it, and you are NOT on a production network then go for it and see how it works for you. FWIW in a straight Windows 2016/2019/10 environment it is pretty damn stable.

When using balance-rr on the server side I did notice a weird consistent laginess when typing over ssh over that interface vs the 1g connection active at the same time, I think I'll just stick to 802.3ad for now, or if it ever works reliably over two different ip addresses on each end maybe i'd give it another go.

Last edited:
Back