Anyone get older and have a hard time letting go?

XvMMvX

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says, anyone have a hard time letting go of games?

For example, I have spent numerious hours on building and configuring an emulator box so that I have all of my old systems (SNES, NES, Genesis, etc) at the touch of a button.

I can't seem to let go of some of these games, I have pretty much completed the project but now I do not even play it. When I get done with work, spending time with family, and sit down for some game time I always gravitate to the newer stuff (right now it is BF4, D3 RoS, and Hearthstone).

I keep saying that I will go back and play some of these games again but short of 5-10 minute sessions of some of the side scrollers (mario etc) I don't. I barely find the time to enjoy new games much less replay Final Fantasy 6 for the 4th time and I figure it is because though it is special to me I may have out grown a lot of aspects of gaming.

However, I find myself not wanting to let these go.

Nope. I setup a steam box and use emulators on it. Play the old classics with my son lots (super Mario bros, Mario kart 64 ect.) From my couch with a couple wireless 360 controllers

I don't know yeah I had the same problem I very rarely go back to older games. I think in general I just kind of had my fill of the classics when I was a kid. I did finally beat Mario 3 last year? I don't think there's anything wrong with them I just beat the ones I cared about. Shining Force III is on my to do list the problem is the project to translate the full series(its 3 games) is still ongoing.

That said you know I wanted to spend last night playing a game but I just couldn't think of anything I wanted to play. As I get older I gravitate toward games with better writing like Last of Us and Walking Dead. I just couldn't think of anything that filled that criteria last night at least.

Quake I

Because nothing else comes close I just replay the game in my mind......

Why would I need to let them or the hardware go?

Some new games or reboots of the old games suck balls.

this post makes no sense I was not aware games or hardware that is still working had a time limit like fresh corn and apples/milk/bread.

Yeah I miss classics such as super metroid, metal gear solid, ff7, resident evil etc. I could never get into the newer versions of these franchises..I do want to give the prime series another go along with re4. I see gaming as an interactive movie or book but to me alot more fun lol

get off my lawn

I just wish I could get M.U.L.E. going with 4 joysticks again, alas, short of actually physically restoring an ATARI 800 there doesn't seem to be a way.

I still got my copy of super metroid in its box with manual from when i bought it in 1994. come to think of it I have never sold a game ever you get next to nothing for them I rather keep it.

I have my entire library of retro games, from the NES through the Gamecube, saved on my computer. I will often go back and play through some of the classics simply because gaming isn't what it used to be since going mainstream, in my opinion. The games that really hold my attention nowadays are so few and far between. The last modern game I really attached myself to was the Mass Effect series. Since then it has mainly been Dark Souls and GT6/Forza 4/Forza 5. But I still get tired of those and I'll go back and play any classic Resident Evil or continue to plug away at Final Fantasy XII International. I think I still play Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night at least once a month.

UT99, Darklands, Super Punch Out, and some various other SNES games I play from time to time.

I play them on my commute all the time with a GCW-Zero. Been playing Chrono-Trigger and the SNES Sim City a lot.

I went through a nostalgia trip and bought a bunch of older systems. I've had them for about a year now and I barely play them. I barely have time to play new games, there's no way I can play the old games. But I hold on to them anyway because I keep thinking "One day I will complete all these old games!"

I went through a nostalgia trip and bought a bunch of older systems. I've had them for about a year now and I barely play them. I barely have time to play new games, there's no way I can play the old games. But I hold on to them anyway because I keep thinking "One day I will complete all these old games!"

This is what I mean. Not that you should just throw things away but you cling to the notion that someday you will go back.

Game time is so limited as you get older (family, job, etc) that are you really going to spend it on an older game?

That said you know I wanted to spend last night playing a game but I just couldn't think of anything I wanted to play.

This too, when I sit down to play an old game my time is generally spent scrolling through the interface and just looking at everything. Jumping in and out of games just to feel a little nostalgia.

I still play the original Unreal Tournament on a weekly basis. I got a couple game servers where I play with some guys that used to play the game back in the early 2000s with me.

Would anyone here like to play some multiplier SNES and Genesis games with me on my server? I've been looking for days for people to play with me but am having a hard time finding people technically savvy enough for it to be possible

Yeup. I've got a ton of old games, and even went to a local store to get some ordered in. Played one for about ten minutes.

Symphony of the Night...wow can't believe I forgot that one.. Why is it that no games of today compare to those older games like super metroid and SotN? I still remember when I used to play those two it was like you stepped into another world yet the graphics are so dated by todays standards..

^ The 3 Castlevania games on DS are just as good to me as Symphony of the Night.

opposite for me. I woke up about six months ago and no interest in gaming. I was a big gamer, hours, weekends ect. And really in just one day I had no interest. Very strange.

i miss the days when ping actually mattered. The fact some asian kid with a 225ms ping can be the top player in a BF4 server these days shows just how "wrong" things are these days.

Good memories of the original NES as a kid, Counter Strike in college, miss me some good Unreal Tournament. I have a mortgage to pay and sadly when I get time off there's work to be done around and on the house so I don't get to game near as much.

Maybe it's because im old (32) but even when I had a solid 5 days off due to surgery, I still didn't do too much gaming, I was mostly bored out of my mind too.

MAME, Gens, Nestopia, Dolphin. The great thing about the PC and Sunday afternoons.

Emulators work better for me, I can add filters and up the resolution and play with a wireless controller. Only the N64 controller doesn't map well.

I want to sell my SNES and NES and GENSIS game actually before they become worth nothing.

I don't have a TV to play them on anyway......

I wish they were worth more money I know Chrono Trigger is worth some coin bought that at Toys R US way back when in Green Bay.

Someone mentioned Cs:s ... Playing half life as my first computer game and then getting into CS when it first became a mod and playing through source... Never thought I would play another game ever haha loved CS

Just pick a game and play it.
Quit going all ADD on the romset lists.
Impossible! There's just too much good stuff out there.

I find my collections far outweigh my ability or interest to actually play anything these days. :eek:

Emulators work better for me, I can add filters and up the resolution and play with a wireless controller. Only the N64 controller doesn't map well.

I find the n64 maps really well to a 360 controller. Just set c buttons to right joystick

I play old games more than I do new ones. There's still tons of stuff I've yet to play on PS1, SNES, etc. And I always get drawn back to stuff like Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man, and Mario.

Impossible! There's just too much good stuff out there.

I find my collections far outweigh my ability or interest to actually play anything these days. :eek:

This

I find the n64 maps really well to a 360 controller. Just set c buttons to right joystick

I thought so too, until you run across a game where the c-buttons aren't for camera angles and actually do something (star fox and zelda for example).

I want to sell my SNES and NES and GENSIS game actually before they become worth nothing.

as of right now, they are continuing to go up in price. Genesis, not so much but SNES and NES, they are up quite a bit in the last few years. Retro gaming, especially nintendo, is a hot market right now.

thing is you can always get flash carts for most systems today and use the original hardware with a single cart with every game on it.

In addition to some older games still being terrific in a way many modern games lack, I think this comes down to the prevelant issue of wanting to go back to a simpler, safer time -- what Prouste calls "la recherche du temps perdu". It's a super strong subconscious and conscious component of the human psyche to want to go back in time.

Heck, I was visiting my parents old house last weekend, sleeping in my childhood bed, and I dreamed it was 1990 and Twin Peaks was playing on my old analog 13" TV, and the rest of the bedroom furniture -- which had all been changed and refinished years ago - had reverted to my childhood stuff. I could "feel" my family sleeping soundly in the next rooms, only 25+ years younger. At the time, I could have sworn I was in 1990. These games are doing that for you in a way; recreating again, and again for you a "madelaine" moment.

Those side scrollers are bringing you back to a safer (happier?) time -- in a word, nostalgia.

In addition to some older games still being terrific in a way many modern games lack, I think this comes down to the prevelant issue of wanting to go back to a simpler, safer time -- what Prouste calls "la recherche du temps perdu". It's a super strong subconscious and conscious component of the human psyche to want to go back in time.

Heck, I was visiting my parents old house last weekend, sleeping in my childhood bed, and I dreamed it was 1990 and Twin Peaks was playing on my old analog 13" TV, and the rest of the bedroom furniture -- which had all been changed and refinished years ago - had reverted to my childhood stuff. I could "feel" my family sleeping soundly in the next rooms, only 25+ years younger. At the time, I could have sworn I was in 1990. These games are doing that for you in a way; recreating again, and again for you a "madelaine" moment.

Those side scrollers are bringing you back to a safer (happier?) time -- in a word, nostalgia.

How dare you use that thing known as logic.

also cool name, i was in a clan back in the bf2 days called harmattan brigade. always thought it was an interesting name.

Hell, I've got 4 file boxes full of old PC games.

(for you young'uns, before the magical days of da' interwebs we would goto a 'computer store' where you could buy games on 'floppy disks' or TAPE and came in a BOX with artwork and a printed manual and bonus stuff like posters.)

Not that I've got a 5-1/4" drive anymore.

get off my lawn.

This is what I mean. Not that you should just throw things away but you cling to the notion that someday you will go back.

Game time is so limited as you get older (family, job, etc) that are you really going to spend it on an older game?

This too, when I sit down to play an old game my time is generally spent scrolling through the interface and just looking at everything. Jumping in and out of games just to feel a little nostalgia.

That's why you need to get a job where you can play video games at work. The last company I worked for would have weeks on end where I had nothing to do (I'm a programmer), so I got a bunch of emulators and played through all of my old favorites on my work computer. All the phantasy star series, all the final fantasy's up to 8, all the mega mans up to x2, and a whole bunch of other stuff I hadn't played since I was a kid including a ton of MAME titles. We had a LOT of down time, lol.

Otherwise, I would have probably never played through any of those games again, and honestly, I wish I hadn't played some of them again. They were a lot more awesome when I was 10.

What is the best emulators out there? I have never really looked into them.

edit: Just saw dgz's post. Which one is the best SNES emulator?

Last edited:
Interesting read this one - gives us old fogies a chance to drop our 2 cents.

I've got a big collection of old classics, mostly Sierra adventure games from back in the day. Went from Commodore 64 to PC-heyday and have a lot of great nostalgia going in Dosbox and SCUMM. Don't play them as much, but it's reassuring to know they are there (Prouste notwithstanding). I did dust off Simcity 3000 the other day and actually spent a good couple of days playing it (got a break from being all grown up recently). But man, they sure knew how to write games back then - when the technology playing field was even, they only had gaming innovation to one-up the competition.

Not that a lot of today's stuff isn't amazing, but it's always good to remember where you came from. Now, GTF off my lawn!

Back