Anyone get a Creative Super X-FI yet?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by mjz_5, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne [H]ard|Gawd

Yes microphone input through inline mics work with a firmware update. Output level is fine but mic volume control doesn't seem to do anything.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne [H]ard|Gawd

I can tell where everything is coming from in Overwatch.
    I even heard a junkrat ultimate start from WAY behind me so I was able to take evasive maneuvers quickly. I was already impressed with the GSX-1000 and this was even better.

3. Zefram0911

Zefram0911 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm a top 500 NA flex support main and played at ESL Cologne for another game. For me, the sound from fps games sound so foreign and odd with Super X-Fi. Hard for me to pinpoint where anything is coming from with high enough precision to compete.

4. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Finally got around to installing this thing. Did the ear scan setup and everything. Using it with Aeon Flow planar magnetic headphones, coming from a Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC.

This Creative Super X-Fi sounds...... terrible.

Like putting an empty can of tuna between my headphone cups and my ears. Like a cheap receiver "hall effect" processing. Totally ruins vocals, clarity, detail. Total snake oil.

5. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Yup...

It’s a decent tiny amplifier, that’s the only thing it has going for it.

Creative still sucks and this was a bait and switch in my opinion.(since they showed the press the inner ear measurement system drumming up all kinds of internet buzz and promoted that the picture system would be a similar experience - which it obviously is not).

6. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD [H]ard|Gawd

As a hobby sound engineer, I came to the same conclusion, perhaps it works better for others but for me it totally killed sound quality, poor quality bass response and in my case it was as if the 10kHz+ frequencies were "deleted" and not even with extensive EQ boost it could be brought back. With the processing turned off again it's "decent" clarity DAC but one thing stroke me that the soundstage is more closed-in than I'm used to, so yea didn't leave any good taste at all, it went onto the shelf, haven't bothered selling it but doubt it'll get much use.

IdiotInCharge and Armenius like this.
  7. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Glad my rational mind kicked in and I didn't buy into the hype for this thing.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  8. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Ya not sure what the heck I was thinking last year when I ordered it. Maybe game 3D spatial sound? Dunno.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  9. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I mean, Creative is still good at that. But so is everyone else now, and if you eff up normal audio in the process you fail pretty much automatically.

I roll 300Ω cans through an old Xonar U3 USB stick that has an equalizer; otherwise, I've used Razer's surround software through my balanced DAC, or even Creative's software on my desktop, as it can process sound for the optical out.

Could just use Equalizer APO as that's most of what I want; roll back some of the Beyer's highs, add some bass to my Sennheisers, etc.

quiktake likes this.
  10. mjz_5

mjz_5 2[H]4U

I have one... I think it sounds better (surround wise) when comparing it to standard 2.0 headphones

11. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

How has your experience been with the Razer surround software? I think it shows promise, but I didn't know anyone that actually used it.

12. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I've used it on and off- not as much lately, but it does its job. Mostly I'd been interested in the in-line EQ capability.