Anyone Game With A New Dual G5 Here ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking at the new G5's, was wondering how they did for gaming, if I opted for the 9800-Pro ? I like the dual 1.8ghz for the price, but is it worht the extra $500 to go with the dual 2ghz +1,000fsb ?

Anyway, how do these babies do for gaming ? I would be new to Mac' but are most games out today, like; BF1942, NWN, RavenSheild able to work on the G5 OS ?
Also, how about upgrading the video cards, can you buy any 9800-Pro and pop it in there, or does it need to be a special Apple based 9800-Pro ? Reason I ask, is because the new ATI R420 will be out in like 9weeks or so, would that work in a G5 ?

thanks

I haven't seen games on the dual 2 gigs yet but they run quite nice on the single 1.8 my cube mate at work has so the dual should be a bit nicer...as for the video..you can't just take any card and slap it in even though it is an AGP slot the card has to have a certain firmware on it so you SHOULD be able to flash the bios on the card and put it in but I can tell you from a support side if you are having problems with the system and you have a 3rd party card in there we are going to have you pull it to make sure it isn't causing the issues...now on the flashing...if it doesn't work you could have a dead card on your hands so I would either get the 9800 or wait 3 months to see if there is a new upgrade option for the comp you want

My friend has a Dual-G5 and we play Raven-Shield a lot. I'd say that, if it weren't for his damned mouse that has a broken left-button, it would be perfect. That system is insanely fast, even at the 17" LCD's resolution it's smooth as butter (my friend has the 9800 I think, I'm not sure though). One thing is for certain, the G5 is definetely more capable as my computer is, if not twice as much. (I've got an Athlon XP 1600+ which is ancient)

The G5's are just as good at gaming with a real mouse as any PC. The 9800 Pro is a excellent investment, I have a 9500 Pro in my AMD box and I still cant believe the performance after all this time.

You may just want to get the cheapo vid card from Apple and get that new 9800 XT mac version Ati just came out with. 256 MB's of memory. Sell the OEM nvidia card on ebay, they are getting big bux for some strange reason. I saw one go for 175 bucks a month ago.

Originally posted by pr0pensity
I'm on a 1.6 with 9600 Pro

It drags (20fps) with 4xFSAA at 1600x1200 :~(

and at 1600x1200 4xFSAA I would expect most systems to drag...but what game were you playing anyway?

>and at 1600x1200 4xFSAA I would expect most systems to drag

I want the 9800

>what game were you playing anyway?

RTCW, NWN demo, and about anythng else.

Is there a Halo demo or something with pixel shaders?

If you game on a G5, make sure to put the power setting at highest instead of automatic! It pretty much doubled the FPS in Halo...

I have a Dual 2ghz G5 with a 9800 Pro Mac Edition (vga+dvi, unlike the oem 9800).

It delivers 250-300 fps in Q3 (which is dual processor capable) @ 1024x768, high quality, which is great. For reasons I haven't been able to determine, Quake runs smoother on the G5 than it does on my P4 2.6c w/ 9800 Pro (kinda choppy) even though it is almost as fast in terms of raw fps.

The only issue I have with games for the Mac is that there is not as large a selection as there is available for PC. The PC versions are also more likely to be discounted as they age. Consequently, I often end up buying games to play on my PC, even though my mac is as fast or faster.

mac is still just not as good a gaming computer IMO. It's better at everything else, but for games I still use my homebrew 3000+.

I play BF1942 in 800 x 600 on my PC @ 130 Hz refreshrate. I dont think screen real estate is important at all in these games. Maybe 1024 X 768 is the tops I ever go.

IMO the peeps trying to play games regardless of platform in crazy resolutions like 1600X1200 and such and then complaining about lag are a little bit stupid about things. I've never seen a need in any game I've ever played on the Mac or the PC that needed more res than 1024X768.

In BF1942 it's actually a drawback. The higher the res the smaller the names are around the players, so you cant tell friend or foe from as far a distance away as you can playing on lower res.

I suppose I'll get flamed now. Dont care. :p

10.3.3 and Safari 1.2 receive ever-increasing kudos. The gamers have reported in and the thumbs are overwhelmingly pointing skyward. Apple has revamped both the 2D (Quartz) and 3D (Quartz Extreme, OpenGL) graphics engines in 10.3.3, with a particular focus on game-related OpenGL functions.

Posted by MacOS Rumors; Since this is seeded to developers and can be known about thru communication with them - I normally dont give macosorumors the time of day but developer seeds are not rumors.

Maybe the platform will get a nice speed increase soon.

Back