anyone for hire?

doox00

2[H]4U
I am looking to hire someone to write me a program for raspberry pie. any suggestions where I can find/hire someone for this? Anyone here do freelance stuff like this?

I need a garden watering automation program written. It needs to read a soil sensor(s) (average of a few sensors maybe) and based on moisture level (user set) it will trigger a relay which will turn on a pump for either a set duration or a set moisture level from the sensor(s). It also needs to be controlled via a website or app.

Holy shit I wrote something like this for my grow tent

I never thought I'd talk about it ever again

Temperature and humidity can be read hiding dht-11 sensors if I'm not mistaken

You got light sensors too but you need an signal converter to read the raw value in lumens, or else youll get some binary reading (light on or off) which isn't super useful

The moisture sensors you find on Amazon are cheap as hell man, they stop being reliable after awhile

I didn't want to fuck around with bare relays and 110v so I bought this power bar that has outlets you can toggle on and off..it's called the IoT relay.

So you plug your submersible pump or whatever into that then trigger it by using crontab or something else more intelligent (the moisture sensors are not reliable enough to use as triggers IMO, not the cheap Amazon ones anyway)

Most of everything I wrote was in Python and some php

I was also logging to MySQL every couple mins

I'm not growing anything at the moment but soon I will put all this junk back into service

Holy shit I wrote something like this for my grow tent

I never thought I'd talk about it ever again

Temperature and humidity can be read hiding dht-11 sensors if I'm not mistaken

You got light sensors too but you need an signal converter to read the raw value in lumens, or else youll get some binary reading (light on or off) which isn't super useful

The moisture sensors you find on Amazon are cheap as hell man, they stop being reliable after awhile

I didn't want to fuck around with bare relays and 110v so I bought this power bar that has outlets you can toggle on and off..it's called the IoT relay.

So you plug your submersible pump or whatever into that then trigger it by using crontab or something else more intelligent (the moisture sensors are not reliable enough to use as triggers IMO, not the cheap Amazon ones anyway)

Most of everything I wrote was in Python and some php

I was also logging to MySQL every couple mins

I'm not growing anything at the moment but soon I will put all this junk back into service

Yeah, I have some of those sensors from amazon, the soil moisture sensors (actually sitting on my front porch right now, still waiting for pi to arrive though). I figured those sensors would not be that reliable, what I was thinking running like 3 sensors at a time and maybe have the system turn on based on average or something like that. I don't need a light sensor or anything else, if I only want it to water during lights on could it not be programmed to only function between set times? Does your program run on a pi or computer or something? Mind working with me (I will pay of course) to get it up and going how I need it?

Sure man it'll be fun

At the time it wasn't one program, it was a set of scripts that I ran individually using crontab (Linux scheduler)

Ex monitor temperature and log
Then monitor moisture and log
Then monitor light and log

All every 5 minutes or so

Then I just put the watering on a fixed schedule that I would change once every so often because as the plants grew they needed more water naturally

So yeah absolutely you could water at certain times using a scheduler or any other program logic

Honestly the page the person linked above is really great. They've even got a 5v submersible pump that can be powered by the Pi! That's fantastic! They have a great write up there

Sure man it'll be fun

At the time it wasn't one program, it was a set of scripts that I ran individually using crontab (Linux scheduler)

Ex monitor temperature and log
Then monitor moisture and log
Then monitor light and log

All every 5 minutes or so

Then I just put the watering on a fixed schedule that I would change once every so often because as the plants grew they needed more water naturally

So yeah absolutely you could water at certain times using a scheduler or any other program logic

Honestly the page the person linked above is really great. They've even got a 5v submersible pump that can be powered by the Pi! That's fantastic! They have a great write up there

sweet, I will send ya a pm, thanks! :)

Let me know if you guys run into issues, I can program as well, even microcontrollers like the microchip, avr (atmel), and I've done some arm development too (which all have built in ADC for reading sensors). I have a couple of rpis at the house as well. I mostly program in c and c++ with some c# and javascript when it's needed. (I probably have about 10+ unused microcontrollers of different flavors laying around).

Let me know if you guys run into issues, I can program as well, even microcontrollers like the microchip, avr (atmel), and I've done some arm development too (which all have built in ADC for reading sensors). I have a couple of rpis at the house as well. I mostly program in c and c++ with some c# and javascript when it's needed. (I probably have about 10+ unused microcontrollers of different flavors laying around).

Excellent, I will be testing out some free garden watering app I found online and see how it works but I think I am going to want some changes to it so may just need a custom one written. I will surely hit you up if I end up needing to hire someone for this. Between you and blackmomba hopefully I can get something going. thanks all!

Excellent, I will be testing out some free garden watering app I found online and see how it works but I think I am going to want some changes to it so may just need a custom one written. I will surely hit you up if I end up needing to hire someone for this. Between you and blackmomba hopefully I can get something going. thanks all!
Sounds good, I always enjoy a good one off. I helped someone on here with some custom 3D printed cable combs for his PC build recently. I just did the modelling and he got them printed locally (to him). I have a 3d printer but haven't used it for abs yet (and didn't have the color he wanted anyways).

I tried getting it together last night but had the wrong sensors.. the app I was trying to test out uses grovepi shield and grove sensor.. I have the exact same sensors but not grove ones.. I guess grove ones are digital signal and the ones I have used analog signal or something.. anyway I ordered the grovepi shield and grove sensors.. once they get here (wednesday) I will try to test it again.

I tried getting it together last night but had the wrong sensors.. the app I was trying to test out uses grovepi shield and grove sensor.. I have the exact same sensors but not grove ones.. I guess grove ones are digital signal and the ones I have used analog signal or something.. anyway I ordered the grovepi shield and grove sensors.. once they get here (wednesday) I will try to test it again.
Did you have the model or link to the sensors you used? I'm curious what you got and how hard it would be to interface them.

Hey just wanted to post in case you haven't found somebody yet. I could write you something in either python (django interface) or javascript (node/express interface). send me a message!

Back