Anyone folding on a AMD Fusion Llano APU's GPU?

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried folding yet on the Llano APU's GPU portion of the silicon? I am curious how much it would produce and how stable it would be to continuously fold GPU3 ATI units on it. I am getting ready to start a small business and am considering going with an AMD A8-3850 which has a quad core PII based processor at 2.9ghz along with the equivalent of an ATI 6550 GPU for a web server to run the website. Since the GPU will be worthless for this type of duty, I suppose I could just let it fold while the CPU portion takes care of the web server duties. I figure that I don't need much since I don't expect high traffic so this appears to be a very easy and compact way to get a web server started.

It might be a few thousand points per day, but I dont know anyone who has folded on one. Its really more like an Athlon II with double the L2 cache (4MB Llano vs 2MB Athlon II).

Considering even high-end ATI GPUs only get about 8000PPD at best, it's highly unlikely that folding on an APU will be worth it if it's even possible.

If you ever have to actually use the box, you run the risk of a sluggish UI.

I probably wouldn't suggest folding on a web server, as much as I wish I could do it.

If you really want to fold on it, stick a different GPU in there, perhaps.

If you ever have to actually use the box, you run the risk of a sluggish UI.

I probably wouldn't suggest folding on a web server, as much as I wish I could do it.

If you really want to fold on it, stick a different GPU in there, perhaps.

This is basically what I was fearing might happen. I wouldn't be running any discrete GPU as i'm going to try to keep the build as simple as possible.

You can always give it a try. If it does not work out then you can say you gave it your best go!

Back