Anyone felt old when around younger gamers?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Now I realize this will be reminiscent of a "get off my lawn!" type topic but never the less I can't help get it off my mind.

I am 30 and while not "old" especially compared to lots of other things I admit spending time with much younger kids can certainly make me feel like an old man.

For instance a few months back I was playing wow with a friend and a friend of his who is 19 was playing with us and he actually is quite good but somehow we got into talking about old games and he went on to bash them saying how they were stupid he couldn't believe people played such (as he put it) "shitty looking and playing" games.

Then went on to talk about how stupid hard they all are. I then replied saying well that's what I grew up with and even though they were quite hard you got used to it and learned the game and gained accomplishment from it when you did finally beat it.

He then said "why would you want to play a game because it's hard, that's why I hate the dark souls games" I said it's really something you had to grow up with to understand and since he loves call of Duty games I sent him a video of Doom (1993) and said that was my first FPS and he watched it, laughed and said "I'm sorry" and went on to say how terrible it looked.

I realize it was a rather pointless argument but I have to admit it kind of felt like a punch to the gut in a way.

On the bright side though when I was at my friends he had his 18 year old brother there along with one of his friends who was the same age and he had his 3DS with tons of VC games and he said he loves retro games and beat both NES Zelda, and a bunch of other hard games I forget. He did say he couldn't get past Frankenstein in castlevania though. But I thought that was pretty cool.

But anyway has anyone here been made to feel old when around younger gamers or the like?

But anyway has anyone here been made to feel old when around younger gamers or the like?
My nephews get overly excited about games I only have mild interest in.... so yea.

The dumb and shallow comment is a bit weird though... I mean, the original doom was pretty shallow ....

Yes. Kids are used to so much hand-holding in games, it's sickening. I'm 40. Finishing arcade games on 1 quarter son, that's where it was at.

You really see the apex of this problem in MOBAS.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
When you lived through the golden age of computer gaming and hardware evolving you can appreciate gameplay better than newer gamers with lots of eye candy that lacked the mechanics of the old games. That doesn't mean that there aren't good new games, I'll just never 'get over' my love for games like Diablo 2, half life counter strike, and Starcraft.

Or Duke Nukem, Descent, and Major Stryker :)

Who cares if you unlock a skin, games didn't need that to be ultra successful and enjoyable. I still have my N64 with Turok Rage Wars and Super Smash Bros

Stay strong!

How long has this kid been playing wow?

$20 says there's no way he would have made it in Sunwell Plateau, it would have been "too hard".

How long has this kid been playing wow?

$20 says there's no way he would have made it in Sunwell Plateau, it would have been "too hard".
He said he was playing since he was 14.

Oh, and another time the topic of DLC came about. He was talking about how he always buys the season pass to games and I told him (boy this really makes me feel old) back in my day how you could get new maps for free and it was common for people to make new maps and he just said "Well, they were much worse than what we get today".

Yes, I understand how ridiculous it may sound, but being born in '86 it was the perfect time being able to see and appreciate the old school games and do feel as if these much younger gamers missed out on things that for me and others my age were more revolutionary and will never come again.

Please smack him. No, really, please smack him. Then ask him how he knows they were much worst? What is he using to measure?

yes... when the new DOOM came out and I saw people comparing it to the very first doom they played (doom 3) on this forum... it made me feel very old lol

edit: I'm 35

Younger Gamers have no attention span so no.....my 12 year old nephew is really good at COD though but he plays every day before School =)

I play regularly with my two kids, 19 and 21, and we have quite a bit of fun together. They aren't at all like the kids you describe above, but maybe it is because I have had them playing PC games since roughly 2/3 years old. I don't share well so I got them their own PC's at very early ages, knowing I would need some gaming partners eventually.
What I thought this thread was going to be about was my apparent declining skill level cresting 45. I feel like I am losing some reaction time and also losing interest in the more twitch oriented games. I am finding myself liking turn based games or Fallout 4 with game pause/slow mechanics. I mean, I still play Doom, BF4, CS:GO, etc but I don't prefer them and find myself struggling to be competitive.

they'll thank you later...

11931095_441616696038365_675772837_n.jpg

I tell other gamers that I was able to beat Battle Toads and they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

:(

I tip my hat to you sir. First of all, could never get far without either my friend or I TK'ing each other, because that's hilarious when you're a teen. And even playing solo, I never could beat that GD hovercraft/car/whatever level.

I tip my hat to you sir. First of all, could never get far without either my friend or I TK'ing each other, because that's hilarious when you're a teen. And even playing solo, I never could beat that GD hovercraft/car/whatever level.
First time I ever threw a remote. Didn't go far though because of the cord. XD

I just recently worked with a young kid (mid-20s, which is young to me). The only time it made me feel old was when he talked about the games he grew up playing. I thought, "Those games aren't that old."

"Ah, I remember Doom 3, that was the first game I ever played. Wow, such nostalgia!!!!"

Like that?

No doubt Angry Birds and Minecraft will be the Pong and Pacman of this newest generation...

As long as I'm having fun I don't care how old these kids make me feel. Pushing 50! :)

No cuz when i fire up some quake 3 around them and whoop all their asses...oh wait. :(

I've always felt old around them, was in my 30's when I beta tested EQ phase 2,3,4.

Ran into a few odd guilds in WOW years ago, we'd be in the middle of a tough spot sometimes and the guildmaster had his son playing duck duck goose waiting on replacements to show up.

I tended to even solo play in a lot of MMO's in the past, or played with adults I had met over time I guess.

There used to be a few guilds like that would play various games, haven't bothered much in awhile.

Last edited:
meh, some people are dumb. I was born in 1990 and most of my favorite films came out in the 70s, but there are definitely a lot of people even my age who go "bleh, shitty effects" I for one didnt start gaming much until the n64 era, so it takes a lot to get me to play anything older (especialyl psx games, most have aged HORRIBLY)

meh, some people are dumb. I was born in 1990 and most of my favorite films came out in the 70s, but there are definitely a lot of people even my age who go "bleh, shitty effects" I for one didnt start gaming much until the n64 era, so it takes a lot to get me to play anything older (especialyl psx games, most have aged HORRIBLY)
Hah, no kidding, I start gaming with NES but it's really hard for me to play the original Deus Ex. I don't think it's worst than recent games based on that fact though. It just has graphics that don't match up and the gameplay is just not up my alley.

Bashing custom maps is where I draw the line. Sure, there was and is crap. But there are also countless gems and extraordinary works that have come from map editors. I take it the guy is not a creative type? Does he play Minecraft??

Custom content doesn't always have lots of high-production bling like cinematics or good voice acting, and I think that's what he sees lacking in user-made material. That goes extra for older games with more technical limitations. But again, with a modest production setup being as affordable as it is, all that's needed is some talent and interest to make a good presentation.

(I am pleased with myself that I referred to it as 'custom maps' and not DLC (y))

I wouldn't be surprised if we all said stuff similar to that around that age. The best part is how everyone in this thread has said here are the real classics, then lists games that came out in 1995 - 2000.

Guess what? There was someone older than you around that time playing games that came out in the 80s like Falcon, Oregon Trail, Police Quest, and the original Sim City. There was also a phenomenon before a lot of people's time on here where people used to play text based adventure games like Zork. I tried some of those and couldn't get into them, especially if you didn't have any kind of documentation for it. You had to know specific commands for things to work, and there was no build in help that would just spit out all possible options.

So I'm sure you're probably already 2nd generation or 3rd generation to feel that way about younger gamers, as even yourself probably didn't experience gaming from the get go. I wouldn't really bat an eye at it as they will either never understand games before their time, or once they get a bit older start to put the pieces of the puzzle together and learn a larger history of gaming.

i just always tell em if we didnt have these games of the past, they wouldnt have what they have now. But being an old goat is fun, especially when ripping up a kid(in game play) who mouths off all the time during the game/match. Also I hardly ever hear kids in multiplay games. All it takes is one or 2 words of that high pitched, balls havent dropped 10 year old and they are instantly muted.

And im older than pong. Now I gotta go have a tshirt made lol.

The graphics in the original Doom sucked when it came out.

I was way more into things like Wing Commander, Wolfenstein 3d, and other games that didn't have such sucky graphics.

When it came out and everybody thought it had such good graphics I kinda wondered what rock they had been living under.

I think my main gripe was that there was not enough color difference in between the levels and the characters. When you only seem to have slight differences in the shade of the color of the levels and the bad guys, there is something wrong.

It was all just too bland.

At 43, I don't ever feel old around younger gamers. I guess it helps that all 5 of my children (ages 9-21) play, so I'm used to the different demographics.

Plus I've beaten Dark Souls 1, 2, & 3, so I have that going for me...

Eh im 27 and i still play CS with 14-15 year olds after 12 years of playing CS. Most little kids are ok, a lot spam stupid memes or racial slurs to be edgy.

At 67 I just listen to some "Ultimate Spinach.." Or "Doors." "Jefferson Airplane."

I've met youngsters who are better mechanics than me . For the most part though, most are without a clue.

As a motorcyclist, young(er) riders can be image conscience idiots or cool knowledgeable people. Old bikes can be regarded as early steam locamottives or muscle cars. Or nothing.
Shrug. History CAN be nonexistent/irrelevant or a challenge.
Or like politics. Try talking "Cold War" with youngsters.

You know what else sucks about the younger generation- they don't talk on their mics!
They are just silent.... am I wrong?

The majority of the younger players (< 18) I play with never "play the objective" or do co-op. So no, they don't talk. But gawd help you if they have friends on the server, they'll never shut up. They'll talk about everything except the actual game. It less of a game and more of a realtime chat room.

And there are those young post-teens/college-aged players that talk, just to hear themselves talk. All that adolescent awkwardness is gone and they just go off in a attempt to be edgy and entertaining like stand-up comics. All-talk servers are filled with these guys, there's so much noise it's impossible to play the objective.

And there are those young post-teens/college-aged players that talk, just to hear themselves talk. All that adolescent awkwardness is gone and they just go off in a attempt to be edgy and entertaining like stand-up comics. All-talk servers are filled with these guys, there's so much noise it's impossible to play the objective.

Yeah, that happens semi-frequently in RB6: Siege. You get some 18-20something dudes playing audio clips of Dane Cook or some bullshit through the mic while you're trying to coordinate and play the game as a team.

It's a great game overall that unfortunately suffers from a lot of issues. Netcode problems, exploits/hackers, etc.

But the game itself mechanically is overall pretty well-balanced and a lot of fun.

Games, no never felt old. When I went out to breakfast and the girl behind the register rang me up and looked at me and said "I rang you up for the senior drink", I felt gutted.

I"m 33 and I constantly feel old on the Internet as a whole (except this site). I've begun referring to the phenomenon as "Internet Old", because the majority of people with the most time to spend all over the Internet are younger than me. At this point I'd say "Internet Old" is probably about 25+.

I've had some very interesting conversations about Dark Souls and how it's not really very hard. Once you figure out the systems it uses it's actually quite fair and balanced. It's not like old games where your timing had to be 100% perfect or you needed luck as well as perfect timing. Games as a whole have gotten easier and easier over time. Most AAA games now can be played by 5 year olds without any game experience. You used to have to learn how to play every game and then smash you head into the wall over and over until you learned everything. Now, I'm not saying that new games are bad, I still like them, they're just different. Dark Souls is as much a throw-back as anything, not spoon-feeding the player as much, but it's not really punishingly hard.

Back