Anyone feel like helping me with my next game purchase?

Pneuma

n00b
Ok, I’m going to lay out the situation as best I can. I’m looking for a new game, but don’t have the resources available to do a ton of research myself. I’m on the net at work, (shhh…) and they block out most everything with gaming content. So, I figured you guys could help.

I’ve got an older system. I built it in 2002 (iirc), and it was budget then.

Athlon 1800+ (can’t remember what mobo, ECS K7S5A+ I think)
512mb PC100/133
Radeon 8500 LE
SB Live
80gb WD SE HD
CD burner
17” Samsung (samtron) CRT
Decent Case and Antec trupower 430 or 480w ps (can’t recall)

I’m running Win XP sp1 (don't have the connection to dl sp2).

Currently, I don’t have internet (or even a home phone), so online and multiplayer are out. I’m kind of a slower player, as in, I go through games bit by bit. I’ve had the original HL for around 2 years, and I’m just now getting around to playing it. I bought it when I had DSL just to play CS. So, I’ve been playing it for about 6 months, and after a few hours of play a month, I’m on the last level (I think). It's time to get something else.

My recent gaming experience is mostly FPS: Unreal, UT, UT2k3 (which I used to play quite a bit on the [H] servers), HL, CS, but back in the day I enjoyed warcraft, C&C, Might and Magic, fallout, Diablo and other RTS and RPG type stuff.

Currently, I know I’m not going to be running Farcry, HL2, or Doom3. I just don’t have that kind of power.

Also, WoW and Guild Wars strike my fancy, cause I think I’d like a game with that kind of character development. Problem there is, WoW doesn’t even have a single player offline mode (and not that I’d pay $15 a month to play online anyway), and I haven’t seen that Guild Wars does either. I realize that no game of that type will offer the same experience in offline mode, but that’s all I’ve got for now.

So, now the decision part. What games should I look into that will run on my system? I don’t need massive frame rate or quality, so I don’t mind a newer game that won’t run optimally. Heck, it’s not like I’ll need a lot of FPS for offline mode anyhow. I’d love to get something like GW in an offline single player game. I’d rather not have something that I’ll beat in 10 – 15hrs of play.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

P.

I really enjoyed the Baldurs Gate games. They are a single player RPG, you can interact with tons of NPCs and get them to join your party and such. Also you can choose to be good or evil. ANd you can kill/rob any NPC you find.

I remebered when I had my party really pimped I would masacre town by town muwhahaha, but then you cannt move forward if you kill EVERYONE. :p

Baldurs gate 1 or 2 should be had for less than 20 each, and Will provide a lot of hours of gaming

Shogo: Mobile Armor Devision. Mighty old, but extremely fun.

Look into just about any Quake3 engine game for something more recent. Jedi Knight: Outcast is a great one which should run nicely on your system.

Not really sure exactly what genre of game you're looking for, though you seemed to be leaning toward FPS and RPG with your current game listing. Here are just a few of the games I've played which will run decently to pretty good on your system (my rig was a 1.2 Athlon Tbird with 512ram and Geforce3). Most of them should be basement bargains now.

FPS
Call of Duty
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Alien Vs. Predator 2
Serious Sam
Any of the Jedi Games

3rd person Action
Max Payne 1 & 2 (sort of short, but worth the rush)
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

RTS
Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm
Ground Control 1
Freedom Force (RTS with some RPG elements)

RPG
Diablo 1 & 2
Dungeon Seige 1
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale

after looking around a bit more, I think I'm probably leaning more toward a good RPG right now. Something with character development.

Thanks for the input folks.

P.

Pneuma said:
after looking around a bit more, I think I'm probably leaning more toward a good RPG right now. Something with character development.

Thanks for the input folks.

P.

Neverwinter nights. You can waste many a day playing through the first one. Then there's the expansions. Then there's the home brew campaigns. Loads of RPG gaing fun.

Far Cry is an OK game. I dont see anything great about it. Make sure you get the patches though

spugnor said:
Neverwinter nights. You can waste many a day playing through the first one. Then there's the expansions. Then there's the home brew campaigns. Loads of RPG gaing fun.

Esxcellent suggestion.

You can get the platinum edition, which includes both expansion packs and about a half dozen mini modules for about $40.00.

Thanks all, I may have to check out the Neverwinter Nights.

How does it compare to morrowind? I heard that you could build your own char. classes in that one, which sounds neat. But I'd rather have a better game than just that functionality.

Again, I appreciate all the info.

P.

MUCH better then Marrowind. Morrowind was the same thing over and over, this has much better game play and looks a ton better.

Pneuma said:
Thanks all, I may have to check out the Neverwinter Nights.

How does it compare to morrowind? I heard that you could build your own char. classes in that one, which sounds neat. But I'd rather have a better game than just that functionality.

Again, I appreciate all the info.

P.

Also, the type of character you play in NWN has a HUGE effect in how you play the game. I was having huge problems in HotU (hordes of the underdark) with my preferred character class of human paladin. Tried again after a month or two with a dwarven champion, and kicked ass and took names (for later ass kicking! :D )

So yeah, there's a lot to do. I've played through the original NWN three times completely, and SoU (Shadows of undrentide) twice. HotU got played through once as a drawf, and partially as a paladin.

In a year or so, i'll probably dust it off and enjoy the entire series AGAIN. :p

But your milage may vary. ;)

Back