Anyone ever seen something like this? (56k=ok, 120kbs of photos)

Well... You know how most AMD's (Palamino/Tbred/Thornton/Barton/etc) have AMD © 1999 or whatever and the stepping imprinted onto the CPU's core?

Well I replaced my 1900+'s heatsink today (with the stock 2500+ heatsink, dropped my temps 13 degrees btw) and after I removed the old heatsink and cleaned the AS3 off of it, I noticed something pretty amazing.

metalburnt.jpg

If you look closely at this photo (I love my camera's macro) you'll see AMD © 1999 printed in reverse IN THE METAL OF THE HEATSINK!

Pretty amazing if you ask me. I figure it's from one time when I didn't reapply thermal compound after removing and reapplying the same heatsink.

At first I thought that it was AS3 that had been imbedded into the heatsink for some reason or that it was just left overs, so I scrubbed down the heatsink with Goof Off (insanely powerful Anything Remover) and it was still there. Judging by that and the photo, I'd have to say that my 1900+'s core burnt itself into the heatsink a bit. You can also see a square outline from the core.

Luckily it doesn't look like it was damaged. It ran without fresh AS3 for only a week before I noticed my temps were in the 50s, so I reapplied AS3 to that same stock heatsink and went on with things. Temps were in the high 40s, 48 or so idle.

And since adding my Barton 2500+'s sink, the temps haven't jumped above 40 at idle! They stay around 38c.

Here's a photo of the 1900+ with a 2500+ heatsink and the 1900+ 60mm fan (soon to be replaced with something quieter).

1900_2500sink.jpg

Crazy huh?

I once had a piece of plastic with the markings of a Thunberbird 750 melted into it :D
(There was not one, but two layers of plastic on the cheap temporary HSF I threw on it, I found out. Oh well, it still works.)

That, OTOH, is impressive, no matter what mechanism caused it.

my friends pentium 4 heatsink had that too. that happens when it gets hot over 100*F

Originally posted by Tnadrev
how did markings from the identifying sticker get imprinted on the hsf?

Identifying sticker? There is printing on the core of AMD CPUs (most). Find a close up shot of an AMD CPU core and you'll see what I'm talking about. Unfortunately I didn't notice this imprint on the HSF until after I applied AS3 to the CPU and reseated it.

They stopped laser etching the stepping and other info onto the core after the Palomino's. Tbreds and Bartons have the ID sticker. The core is blank on them.

Originally posted by xdviper
my friends pentium 4 heatsink had that too. that happens when it gets hot over 100*F

WFT! You call 100 degreed F hot? Must be from Moscow or something. :p

Back